Why are we fans?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, it was a freer country back then, wasn't it? Some of the younger posters on here might read the story about kids sneaking in beers and assume that it was bad parenting, but it was just different back then. I remember once, after one of my father's ski races at Bristol Mountain, I was operating the keg, and serving all the adults beers during the after-party and awards ceremony. I was six. Everyone thought it was cute! I can't imagine what would happen today, if a six-year-old were doing that.

It was certainly a different time. The detective that was a part of the group does not drink so he always drove. There wasn't too many times that traffic was an issue either.

Because in the first game I ever attended Bills cornerback Haygood Clark intercepted George Blanda's pass with 27 seconds left in the game and ran it back 66 yards for the winning TD on a beautiful, sunny September day, the day after my birthday, at the Rockpile, in 1966.

Edited by Dr. K

I think football is the most popular because the season is so much shorter than the other major sports. It makes each game so important and therefore makes it that much more exciting.

You don't hear about any important hockey or baseball games in the middle ot the season, but it seems like there's an important game every week in football

I think football is the most popular because the season is so much shorter than the other major sports. It makes each game so important and therefore makes it that much more exciting.

You don't hear about any important hockey or baseball games in the middle ot the season, but it seems like there's an important game every week in football

That does add to the excitement of the game.

Born and raised in Green Bay, WI, and here probably just like near Buffalo it is a way of life. Football is a big part of my life, I set my vacation time around the Packers, spend quality time with my friends and family talking about the Packers, going to games, having Packer parties, going to training camp, etc. Some may think that is stupid, but it is my favorite part of my life outside of my family.

Born and raised in Green Bay, WI, and here probably just like near Buffalo it is a way of life. Football is a big part of my life, I set my vacation time around the Packers, spend quality time with my friends and family talking about the Packers, going to games, having Packer parties, going to training camp, etc. Some may think that is stupid, but it is my favorite part of my life outside of my family.

Man, are your priorities out of whack. And you call yourself a fan??

Grew up watching the Bills from Rochester, NY. My father always had the games on in the early 90's during the glory days. I couldn't tear away from them. It became part of the reason I went to school in Buffalo. It remains part of the reason I now live in Buffalo. The Red, White and Blue are always good colors to promote.

Go Bills!

The short answer: it's who we are.

This is a great escape. I grew up,in Buff., and now lived in Tampa as long as Buff. I follow the Bucs, but bleed Red, White, and Royal Blue.

I'm sure everyone has many other priorities with their families, careers, and so on. I do not follow closely other sports besides the NFL and college football, but Wil enjoy the other sports without this passion.

As far as them losing, I remember our playoff runs from 88-99, the mid 70's, and the early 80's. I'm not old enough for the kid 60's, but we could do worse than following one of the most historic teams in the NFL.

I'll take the Bills over the Jags, Titans, Panthers, Chargers, Falcons, Texans, and so on. We're true football fans and this is an NFL / Bills town.

I respect guys in areas I manage so when I spend time in Birmingham, they are Roll Tide fans or somewhat can be Tigers fans. We are no less Bills fans than those fans. We are a true college like football atmosphere in how much we love our team.

Good question Rock man. That's my answer and that is nothing against the above teams I mentioned. It's just special in Buffalo. Oh, and for the record, my two boys are Bills fanatics, and they grew up in Tampa, and only made their first home game for the Pats home opener last year. And we're going again on October 12 th, and damnit, we're going to win this time!

Go Bills!

I agree..Since the game is played once a week, it sets up so much anticipation over the rest of the week. It is almost how you are pinging for the WE to come when you are at work.

Walking out of the field entrance on the 50 yd line (section E10) on a beautiful, sunny fall day with my Dad and seeing the giant #32 on the back of Simpsons' jersey. One time and I was hooked.

Then there was tearing down and literally passing the goal posts off the field up to Ralph's box after destroying the raiders 51-3 in the AFC championship. (Please tell me that was real.)

Haven't seen the Bills play live since around '97, so count yer lucky stars there fellas.

I grew up in Buffalo. I followed the team since 1966. I went to my first game in 1969 and I get the same feeling entering the stadium every time. I prefer we win but losing doesn't ruin the total experience. Making myself sick over the team seems silly. It's a game.

Me too but make it 1960 and 1964. *-)

Yes it is a game. Winning is more fun than losing, but as you say, it is a game.

I agree..Since the game is played once a week, it sets up so much anticipation over the rest of the week. It is almost how you are pinging for the WE to come when you are at work.

But regular season football is only 16 games, not 160.

The Bills were on TV one day when I was a kid: November 15, 1987 at Cleveland Browns L 27–21

Even though the Bills lost, I told my dad this was my team. The next week he bought me a Bills shirt. I remember telling kids in middle school that the Bills were going to the Super Bowl every year. The teachers used to laugh at me and say yeah right. I have no connection to Buffalo or upstate New York. I have been to Buffalo twice in my life and been to more away Bills games than home games.

The Bills were on TV one day when I was a kid: November 15, 1987 at Cleveland Browns L 27–21

Even though the Bills lost, I told my dad this was my team. The next week he bought me a Bills shirt. I remember telling kids in middle school that the Bills were going to the Super Bowl every year. The teachers used to laugh at me and say yeah right. I have no connection to Buffalo or upstate New York. I have been to Buffalo twice in my life and been to more away Bills games than home games.

I'm quite surprised at how many Bills fans there are that aren't from WNY. I'm from Rochester, originally, but have lived in Los Angeles since '91. I know quite a few football fans here, and many of them have what I think of as a band-wagon mentality when it comes to the teams they have aligned themselves with. Consequently, I know Packers fans, Cowboys fans, Saints fans, Bears fans-- all teams with numerous playoff appearances in the last 15 years, or so. But, I've never met a Browns fan, or a Jags fan, or a Lions fan, or a Bills fan here in Los Angeles that wasn't from one of those regions.

I realize now that I was wrong. The Bills have a fan base that extends well beyond Western New York. Come to think of it, I think there might only be one team that really fits the description of a team that only people from the team's region are fans of: The Patriots-- the team everyone loves to hate.

We're in the same boat, except for the fact that you've been to Buffalo twice as many times as I have.

Born in Cheektowaga in 1964. Moved to TX in '77. Followed the Sabres in the '70s but not the Bills until '88. Moved back to Buffalo in 1989. Attended the division clinching game against Miami, week 15 in 1990, and watched one of the uprights being thrown over the top of the upper deck. Was in attendance for the comeback game against the Oilers with my dad and a stripper from Club Diamond Dust. Attended the coldest playoff game in Bills' history against the Raiders in Jan. 1994.

You know, you just get hooked.

Edited by Peace Frog

Born in Cheektowaga in 1964. Moved to TX in '77. Followed the Sabres in the '70s but not the Bills until '88. Moved back to Buffalo in 1989. Attended the division clinching game against Miami, week 15 in 1990, and watched one of the uprights being thrown over the top of the upper deck. Was in attendance for the comeback game against the Oilers with my dad and a stripper from Club Diamond Dust. Attended the coldest playoff game in Bills' history against the Raiders in Jan. 1994.

You know, you just get hooked.

And Hookers obviously.

Born and raised here in WNY. I think a lot of it ties into a feeling of comraderie that comes from being in the "Bills family". No matter how bad things are or how bad our record is for at least a few hours every Sunday morning you forget long enough to have a few beers and talk smack to any opposing fans you might come across. I was a young kid during the glory days, but truly didn't find a passion or at least really become a devoted fan until the mid 90's. I have seen nothing but disappointment, although I know many of you have suffered much longer than I. Maybe it's just the everlasting hope that pushes us on. I'm not to proud to admit that if the song "We Are the Champions" comes on , I usually start to close and my eyes and imagine myself being at the game watching as the clock runs out and the Bills are finally victorious as tears of joy stream down my face.

Born and raised here in WNY. I think a lot of it ties into a feeling of comraderie that comes from being in the "Bills family". No matter how bad things are or how bad our record is for at least a few hours every Sunday morning you forget long enough to have a few beers and talk smack to any opposing fans you might come across. I was a young kid during the glory days, but truly didn't find a passion or at least really become a devoted fan until the mid 90's. I have seen nothing but disappointment, although I know many of you have suffered much longer than I. Maybe it's just the everlasting hope that pushes us on. I'm not to proud to admit that if the song "We Are the Champions" comes on , I usually start to close and my eyes and imagine myself being at the game watching as the clock runs out and the Bills are finally victorious as tears of joy stream down my face.