Cubs Trade Samardzija to A's - Some Baseball Talk

Mark80

A's get Samardzija and Hammel

Cubs get Addison Russell, Dan Straily, Billy McKinny

As an A's fan I have to say that I hate, hate, hate this deal. Sure it looks good for this season but Samardzija has only a year and a half left on his deal and we all know the A's won't resign him for the money he'll want. Also, he notoriously struggles in the second half of the season which is what he was brought in to do, bring it home in the second half. Hammel is 31 and is having his first good season ever. Am I really to accept that he's suddenly just figured it out at 31? I don't think so. Not against the bats in the AL, and more specifically, the AL West.

You simply just don't trade a SS prospect of Russell's caliber for these type of players, you don't, I'm sorry. This is bringing back horrible memories of the Carlos Gonzalez and Huston Street for Matt Holliday trade. Holliday stayed for 1/2 a season and Carlos and Huston have been all-star caliber players ever since.

I guess the A's are all in this season which I can get on board with, but man, I wish they would have got a better pitcher (David Price perhaps) for such a quality prospect in Russell.

On the flip side, the Cubs are absolutely stacked in their system with offensive talent. It will be interesting to see what pieces get moved to add some pitching. Cubs fan's should be pretty excited with what they have brewing over there, even though I know it doesn't look very good right now on the MLB level. Kris Bryant is absolutely destroying the minors.

Edited by Mark80

A's are going for IT. I don't know how you can argue with that strategy.

Think about what they've done compared to the Bills...A's are on top and they are pitching rich. They've now made themselves even more pitching rich. They want the 2014 WS. Bills traded away next year's #1 for Watkins. Are the Bills one player away? Did Watkins push them over the top?

Which move makes more sense?

A's get Samardzija and Hammel

Cubs get Addison Russell, Dan Straily, Billy McKinny

As an A's fan I have to say that I hate, hate, hate this deal. Sure it looks good for this season but Samardzija has only a year and a half left on his deal and we all know the A's won't resign him for the money he'll want. Also, he notoriously struggles in the second half of the season which is what he was brought in to do, bring it home in the second half. Hammel is 31 and is having his first good season ever. Am I really to accept that he's suddenly just figured it out at 31? I don't think so. Not against the bats in the AL, and more specifically, the AL West.

You simply just don't trade a SS prospect of Russell's caliber for these type of players, you don't, I'm sorry. This is bringing back horrible memories of the Carlos Gonzalez and Huston Street for Matt Holliday trade. Holliday stayed for 1/2 a season and Carlos and Huston have been all-star caliber players ever since.

I guess the A's are all in this season which I can get on board with, but man, I wish they would have got a better pitcher (David Price perhaps) for such a quality prospect in Russell.

On the flip side, the Cubs are absolutely stacked in their system with offensive talent. It will be interesting to see what pieces get moved to add some pitching. Cubs fan's should be pretty excited with what they have brewing over there, even though I know it doesn't look very good right now on the MLB level. Kris Bryant is absolutely destroying the minors.

As a fellow A's fan I disagree, Russell is a great prospect but there's no guaranteeing he'd do anything at the MLB level. Sure he was inline to replace Lowrie at SS and Coco as our new leadoff man when he hangs them up but Russell's numbers in terms of power aren't that great and maybe average as a base stealer. Yet the way on the whole team is playing this year it could be something special and if there's anything I've learned over the years is that you can never have too much good pitching. Samardzija gives us gives a great 3rd starter which so important in the postseason as it doesn't force you to overuse the guys at the top of the rotation.

Edited by The Jokeman

I think you summed it up already, when you said they are already pitching rich; you don't need to become more pitching rich. A low payroll team like the A's should not be sending off top tier prospects who they will have control over for 6 years after be breaks in (was supposed to be starting SS next season) for a guy you'll have for only 1.5 seasons and another guy who you'll most likely have for only 1/2 a season.

They already have Sonny Gray, Kazmir, and Milone who are all solid. Plus a great season going for Chavez and Pomeranz (stupidly injured himself though). Not to mention they'll have Parker back next season who is probably better than all but Gray. Straily could have been used a filler until Pomeranz came back.

I just don't see the logic in getting rid Russell for an unproven guy in Hammel and an inconsistent pitcher who struggles in the second half year after year (in the NL none the less). And on top of that Straily who dominated the minors but has run into some control issues that could easily be fixed, and McKinny who is no slouch prospect either.

However, I'll readily admit that Billy Beane is much, much smarter than I am, so I'm sure he knows what he's doing!

As a fellow A's fan I disagree, Russell is a great prospect but there's no guaranteeing he'd do anything at the MLB level. Sure he was inline to replace Lowrie at SS and Coco as our new leadoff man when he hangs them up but Russell's numbers in terms of power aren't that great and maybe average as a base stealer. Yet the way on the whole team is playing this year it could be something special and if there's anything I've learned over the years is that you can never have too much good pitching. Samardzija gives us gives a great 3rd starter which so important in the postseason as it doesn't force you to overuse the guys at the top of the rotation.

I disagree, 17 home runs last season as a 19 year old in only 110 games and 21 SBs and a plus fielder at a vital position. That is very good, especially for a SS.

Top 5 prospects usually pan out.

As I said earlier, if they wanted to trade him they should have went after Price. I think that package would have got him (or possibly adding in Olsen or Robertson instead somewhere).

Finally, as I've said they've done this before. Trading away Carlos Gonzalez, Andre Eithier, Nelson Cruz (though not a high prospect at the time) and it has never panned out for them. Hopefully this time it does.

Edited by Mark80

Samarzija is solid. I think Hammels a fluke.

Why not add a pitcher when the A's are finally sniffing the postseason. I like it for samarzija his era was around 1.80 and couldn't get a win for most of the season.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

A's are going for IT. I don't know how you can argue with that strategy.

Think about what they've done compared to the Bills...A's are on top and they are pitching rich. They've now made themselves even more pitching rich. They want the 2014 WS. Bills traded away next year's #1 for Watkins. Are the Bills one player away? Did Watkins push them over the top?

Which move makes more sense?

The A's. Since they actually have the best record in baseball, while the Bills haven't been to the playoffs since a few days after Y2K.

How many times are the A's going to make the playoffs and be happy with that?

Here's what Verlander thinks:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11180239/justin-verlander-says-oakland-athletics-trade-jeff-samardzija-jason-hammel-was-made-detroit-tigers-mind

The A's. Since they actually have the best record in baseball, while the Bills haven't been to the playoffs since a few days after Y2K.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11180239/justin-verlander-says-oakland-athletics-trade-jeff-samardzija-jason-hammel-was-made-detroit-tigers-mind

It's an interesting discussion. Being an A's fan would be rough. As much as I believe Beane to be a genius, I believe he's insane. I don't know how one continues to lose their good players constantly, greatly exceed expectations, then lose in the playoffs. I guess you could lose all your good players and never make the playoffs. Which is worse? Excellent question. Both are torturous in my book...

There is a baseball forum for this sort of discussion.

I mention that only because the baseball forum is probably feeling pretty bitter and unappreciated at this point.

oops...sorry Tom

True this isn't the baseball forum but by

the time you read The Stadium Wall and Off the Wall you forget to go over to the baseball forum so it's nice to see it here.

Edited by CowgirlsFan

http://espn.go.com/m...oit-tigers-mind

Exactly. Their last WS title was 1989...that's quite some time ago. They are going for it (WS title, anything less is failure) while the Bills FO is in desperation mode. They and the coaches are fighting for their jobs (or future jobs in the league) knowing that a new owner will be announced before the start of the 2015 season. To this FO "going for it" means playoffs. I'm OK with that given what's gone on since 1/8/00. If I were a Bengals fan would I be happy with annual 1st round failures? Nope...expectations rise and while making it might once have meant playoffs those fans have moved past that, they want more.

I would think that A's fans want more and wouldn't criticize a move intended to bring them a WS title. (at least prior to the end of the A's season) They traded away prospects for immediate help. I can't fault that logic.

Russell isn't going to help us (A's) this season (probably not even next). Getting two pitchers that could push the A's over the top this season will. I think Hammels will be gone by the end of the month. Maybe he could be used to nab a 2nd baseman we so desperately need. Bring back Tommy Millone, who has gone 6-0 w/ an ERA under in the last 2 mos. The A's need to lock up the division, as the Angels are not going away....and no, another 1st round exit isn't acceptable. They do need pitchers to go up against the Tigers. No other staff scares me like they do. Hopefully Samardzija is that guy push us over the top.

Samarzija is solid. I think Hammels a fluke.

Why not add a pitcher when the A's are finally sniffing the postseason. I like it for samarzija his era was around 1.80 and couldn't get a win for most of the season.

A's have made the playoffs the last 2 seasons in a row and 7 out of the last 14 seasons.

Russell isn't going to help us (A's) this season (probably not even next). Getting two pitchers that could push the A's over the top this season will. I think Hammels will be gone by the end of the month. Maybe he could be used to nab a 2nd baseman we so desperately need. Bring back Tommy Millone, who has gone 6-0 w/ an ERA under in the last 2 mos. The A's need to lock up the division, as the Angels are not going away....and no, another 1st round exit isn't acceptable. They do need pitchers to go up against the Tigers. No other staff scares me like they do. Hopefully Samardzija is that guy push us over the top.

Pitching was never the A's problem in the playoffs, it was the offense. Verlander has completely dominated them in 4 games over the last two seasons (although the A's won one of them 1-0). Scherzer dominated another game last season as well. They needed more offense in these games, not better pitching.

I'm just glad that Verlander doesn't look nearly as dominate this season as he had in the past.

Pitching was never the A's problem in the playoffs, it was the offense. Verlander has completely dominated them in 4 games over the last two seasons (although the A's won one of them 1-0). Scherzer dominated another game last season as well. They needed more offense in these games, not better pitching.

I'm just glad that Verlander doesn't look nearly as dominate this season as he had in the past.

While pitching wasn't the "problem" with the A's...they didn't have a shut down pitcher to match up against a Verlander or Scherzer. Seriously, using Straily and Millone against those studs wasn't a great option. Maybe Samardzija can help even the field a bit...if he continues to do like he did today (just got back the game). The A's have scored the most runs in MLB, offense may not be a problem.

While pitching wasn't the "problem" with the A's...they didn't have a shut down pitcher to match up against a Verlander or Scherzer. Seriously, using Straily and Millone against those studs wasn't a great option. Maybe Samardzija can help even the field a bit...if he continues to do like he did today (just got back the game). The A's have scored the most runs in MLB, offense may not be a problem.

Excellent performance. If he can dominate like this the rest of the way then I'll be happy with trade. He just makes me nervous with how he's fell off over the second half of seasons throughout his career. Impressive tonight for sure though. Go A's!

Not sure why they optioned Milone though, he was throwing quite well this season. Hopefully they can move Hammel before the deadline for something. I really, really doubt his legitimacy for the long run.

Edited by Mark80