Win now???

How can the Bills be a "win now" or "going for it" team when they let arguably their best player(Byrd) walk in FA and then traded their best WR(Johnson).

I am okay with the retooling, but make no mistake about it, their moves are not indicative of a win now team.

I think it's a win going forward mentality, not just win now. Win now and win later.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How can the Bills be a "win now" or "going for it" team when they let arguably their best player(Byrd) walk in FA and then traded their best WR(Johnson).

I am okay with the retooling, but make no mistake about it, their moves are not indicative of a win now team.

I hear what your saying...But they did not exactly win with them either...So... B-)

Whaley was asked about both situations on WGR this morning. Reading b/w the lines: neither player with their relative situations (Byrd on a 1-yr tag or Stevie as a rotational back-up WR) was going to mesh with the winning culture they were trying to create.

I think it's the win-now era for every team. Talk about building and dynasties is for the NFL pre-1993 where you could build and maintain a criticial mass.

Haven't had repeat Super Bowl champs or repeat Super Bowl teams since 2005. Any given year can be any given team.

Why not the Bills? When the Pirates made the playoffs in MLB last year for the first time since 1992, it was captivating television nationwide.

Stevie would not be a #1 on any other team in the league, he was so over rated here it's not even funny. The most un-clutch receiver in the league. He was ok, had some good moments. However I think the bad exceeded the good though especially when it came to Wins and Losses.

Also stop with the 1,000 yard season comment. Today's NFL is much different with regard to the passing game - numbers are inflated. 1,000 yard seasons are not what they used to be. We could have a rookie exceed that this year and a couple others come close.

And Byrd didn't want to be here, I thought everyone knew that?

The only Bills receiver to have three consecutive 1000 yard seasons was 4th on the depth chart?

I think 4th on the depth chart is doing quite the disservice to Stevie... I would say 2nd... Sure he had his problems catching the ball in clutch situations or even holding into it now and then... But he has to be above Woods, and I would say he was no worse than TIED with Williams, which you gotta give Stevie the benefit even our of respect for what he's done.... I don't think that a team should carry 1-#1 WR and 3- #2's... The last 2-3 WR's will be responsible for ST'a role, and you don't want to be forced to put any of those 3 there... Maybe Woods or Watkins on return.... But that's about it

Yes, Watkins, Williams and Woods were all going to be ahead of him in 2014.

Sorry Kirby... I typically agree with what you say, but I don't think you can put woods ahead of Stevie until he proves he's worth it (I won't use that argument with Sammy bc his tools are far superior), and they evaluated SJ as a 4th round compensation and Williams as a 6th... Clearly there are a lot if factors that go into depth charts and packages, but I don't see anything definitive that says Stevie was about to slip from 1 to 4 on the depth chart....

Definitely should have kept Byrd. I don't care if we thought we had to overpay. If we drafted and retained talent we whould have Whitner and Byrd. Maybe put whitner at strong safety. As always though, our future rides on the QB. We go as EJ goes and I'm not too confident about that. I think he has potential but we're basically betting our future on a guy some teams had a 4th round grade on and who has had surgery on both knees I believe. Not exactly a sure thing.

Draft and retain talent? Byrd may blow up in NO this year and make a lot of people on here talk, but if he wasn't playing for a huge contract somewhere, we wouldn't have seen half the production... It was quite obvious that he didn't want to be in Buffalo, so good riddance.... Paying him to stay in town only forces him to be here, not give maximum effort...

Trading SJ means the Bills are among the league leaders in dead cap money with the extra 10.2M this deal created. You can't fairly analyze the deal without that aspect.

That will also limit them next season during free agency and they're already down their first round pick. Yeah, I'd say they have to win. If they don't, the new personnel group starts off having to climb out of a deep hole.

Trading SJ means the Bills are among the league leaders in dead cap money with the extra 10.2M this deal created. You can't fairly analyze the deal without that aspect.

That will also limit them next season during free agency and they're already down their first round pick. Yeah, I'd say they have to win. If they don't, the new personnel group starts off having to climb out of a deep hole.

Isn't it exactly the opposite? By taking all of Stevie's dead money now (when they have ample room) they are freeing themselves up to be active (if desired) in free agency.

Did I miss something?

Good analogy.

I've always used 'tallest midget' for Stevie, but I like your's better...

Thanks to LifeProof phone cases, my iPhone will live to see another day, but no thanks to you for forcing me to launch coffee all over it... I laughed my ass off reading this!!!

The dead cap money isn't an issue because they'll still have over $7M in cap room left after a signing the rookies.

Isn't it exactly the opposite? By taking all of Stevie's dead money now (when they have ample room) they are freeing themselves up to be active (if desired) in free agency.

Did I miss something?

If I read everything correctly, I think the guy you quoted was under the assumption that we now have dead money bc of the trade, when in all reality, SINCE we traded, it freed up every dollar that SJ accounted for towards our cap, increasing the ability to retain CJ or target FA's...

Trade SJ = more usable cap room for Buffalo

Sorry Kirby... I typically agree with what you say, but I don't think you can put woods ahead of Stevie until he proves he's worth it (I won't use that argument with Sammy bc his tools are far superior), and they evaluated SJ as a 4th round compensation and Williams as a 6th... Clearly there are a lot if factors that go into depth charts and packages, but I don't see anything definitive that says Stevie was about to slip from 1 to 4 on the depth chart...

I think that they were set on Woods being no worse than a 3rd. They used a 2nd last year and he flashed. They weren't going to take away reps from him. They traded for Williams because of his physical skill set. Obviously he has questions but assuming he keeps his nose clean (big assumption) he will be playing on the outside. I like Stevie (a lot) but I have no issues with him not being here any longer. The offense won't skip a beat because of the guys that they added.

I think that they were set on Woods being no worse than a 3rd. They used a 2nd last year and he flashed. They weren't going to take away reps from him. They traded for Williams because of his physical skill set. Obviously he has questions but assuming he keeps his nose clean (big assumption) he will be playing on the outside. I like Stevie (a lot) but I have no issues with him not being here any longer. The offense won't skip a beat because of the guys that they added.

Agreed! There is only 1 football, and no one can argue that our offensive production will suffer bc of this move!