After giving this some thought....my first 2 picks

The Bills lack a true #1 WR. Much less a stud TE. They need to find one. Is Evans the guy? Ebron? I don't know.

Agree. You can find a stud OT for the right side in the 2nd or 3rd. Maybe even a stud TE. But, you really need to be lucky to find a #1 WR in the 2nd round. Real lucky. For example Alshon Jeffry. EJ and the offense need the best value to fix a couple positions. WR in the 1st is the best chance to do so. We do not have a #1 on our roster, just 3 # 2's. Get a RT in the 2nd, the draft is filled with them. TE in the 3rd, but, we do have, I think, 5 TEs on the roster now. But, I don't think we have a #1 TE on the roster still.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been a Michigan fan for over 20 years now...I've watched Lewan on the field more than I care to admit (only because Michigan lost more than I could stomach during this period... :lol: ) and I love his athletic ability and potential...I've been saying it here for a while now that I see Lewan as a slightly more physical Nate Solder...And I think that's a very good thing...

Now...For the bad news...I don't have as much info on Taylor Lewan as the Bills do and I trust they will do their due diligence...But the off-the-field stuff with this kid is not anything to discount...In fact, IMHO it's the most important factor in whether or not to Draft him...And I don't think it's comparable to Kiko and Duke because both Kiko and Duke had a long stretch of good behavior after their incidences... I've read an awful lot about these 2 situations Lewan got himself in and...well...like I said in another thread this is not your typical "College kid drank too much and did a dumb thing..." To me his actions in these two situations are seriously major red flags...Not to mention if in fact the accounts given by the victims are accurate (and the fact that Lewan has now been charged pretty much proves a bunch of officials who wanted nothing to do with bringing charges against the kid believe the victims story) Lewan stood up in front of every NFL team and lied his ass off at the Combine...

I don't know...This is just me and I'm not the Buffalo Bills...It's just my opinion and for lack of anything more it's mainly a gut feeling I have about the kid...But I am a Michigan fan, and I would not Draft Taylor Lewan...I think he's a ticking time bomb...I felt diferently before the charges were brought against him...But knowing how much they wanted to sweep this thing under the rug, and still seeing him being charged in this case...Well...It does not look good to me at all...

If the Bills do Draft him I'll hope for the best though...We'll see... B-)

While I do share yours and other Bills fans concerns about player character, and don't want players who are criminals. This kid is only facing allegations, and hasn't been convicted of anything!

This isn't like Cam Newton who was actually expelled and kicked out of one college for cheating on exams. Was arrested for stealing another students laptop, and actually committed this crime. He was subsequently suspended from the team over this issue. Newton went first overall that year, and should he have been there when the Bills selected, both Gailey & Nix said they would have drafted him.

"He has been charged with felony counts of burglary, larceny and obstructing justice.

According to the University Police Department, Newton stole the laptop worth $1,700 and threw it out his dormitory window Friday when officers arrived to investigate the theft."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3718266 & http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5783051

I look at it this way, those Ohio fans hate the Michigan players, and would love to bring a lawsuit against a Wolverine player. Should they win, they will then bring a civil suit to make some money. There are two sides to every story, and Lewan stated he didn't hit anyone. If you think that Lewan should have had more impact as a LT for his team. Just think about all pro Jason Peters, and how it doesn't matter if only one player on that line is the best at what he does. After all, It is a team sport. Don't forget that Lewan didn't give up a sack against Clowney.

For the fans who don't want a RT at #9. From the Bills own website.

"The development of more and more complex defensive systems has also forced offenses to improve protection on both edges.

"There are some really good defensive coordinators in this league and if you have a right tackle that struggles in pass protection, teams are going to put their best pass rusher on the left side,” said Jaguars GM David Caldwell. “So you better have somebody who can protect the passer over there.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/ON-THE-CLOCK-Rise-of-the-right-tackle/30cbf54d-12e1-46b7-9ae7-7115c5066dea

Agree. You can find a stud OT for the right side in the 2nd or 3rd. Maybe even a stud TE. But, you really need to be lucky to find a #1 WR in the 2nd round. Real lucky. For example Alshon Jeffry. EJ and the offense need the best value to fix a couple positions. WR in the 1st is the best chance to do so. We do not have a #1 on our roster, just 3 # 2's. Get a RT in the 2nd, the draft is filled with them. TE in the 3rd, but, we do have, I think, 5 TEs on the roster now. But, I don't think we have a #1 TE on the roster still.

You can have Jerry Rice and Andre Reed and it won't matter if the QB is on his ass. People rush over the RT and backs run on the right side. We have a hole there that needs filling.

This pleases me

No, no, no!!!! We get the offensive weapon in round 1, sure up the line in Round 2. Give Manuel a new weapon so he can be successful. We got Glenn in Round 2, and he's a rock. Same can be done this season. NO WAY do I waste 9th overall pick on a RT. NO NO NO!!!!

Don't like either of these picks. Lewan has red flags and may not be able to play LT in the NFL. Jenkins is soft. I want Ebron. Did anyone ever see Antonio Gates or Tony Gonzalez ever make a block in their entire career? No. They stood there and at best got in the way. It is a pasing league. TE's break defenses because there is enough of a threat to run that it forces players like Spikes to stay on the field and get eaten for lunch by atheltic TE's and WR's running short crossing routes. Take Ebron and get a RT in the second or third round. Totally agree we need to add an OT in this draft no matter waht Hairston's health status is.

I agree on Lewan...I'm not a big fan.

Jenkins is ANYTHING but soft...he's a very good blocker and plays well in-line. Here's a nice video with some great examples of his flexibility:

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/austin-seferian-jenkins-vs-stanford-2013/

I especially like the following plays:

0:18 That's Trent Murphy that ASJ washes out with a nice run block

0:58 Pass protection against Murphy

3:00 Wow...that's Shayne Skov that ASJ fits up on at the 2nd level

He may not be what you're looking for in a TE, but he's not soft.

You can have Jerry Rice and Andre Reed and it won't matter if the QB is on his ass. People rush over the RT and backs run on the right side. We have a hole there that needs filling.

More often than not, it's the QB's job to make sure he's upright. Buffalo's sacks/QB hits last year were largely a function of QB play; I posted a thorough thread discussing this recently that I can say without (much) ego is worth the read.

Yes, this team could use an upgrade at RT; it's not nearly the big hole that some folks believe it is...when the QBs develop some pocket presence the OL will look much, much better.

The Bills lack a true #1 WR. Much less a stud TE. They need to find one. Is Evans the guy? Ebron? I don't know.

Agreed. Load up on Offensive weapons in R1+2. Give Manuel a chance to be successful. I think Ebron has the potential to be a real star in this league. I think it would be a great outlet for Manuel if they can build some chemistry, we'd have a real threat at the TE position. WR can be addressed in the 2nd round, and look for RT in 3rd round. It's all very simple in my opinion.

Yea well, how many 3rd rounders have become studs for the Bills? I keep reading that, and have to think not many. Actually going back 14 years I can't think of one, at any position. So they had better get it right for those first two picks.

I have been trying to understand the logic of drafting a RT in round one. I just do not get it.

This draft has tackles that will be available later that can start at RT. The Bills have a good young LT that is going to get paid in 2 years.

The Bills have plenty of other needs like play making wr or te. On D you could arguee they need a DE to go opposite M Williams. They also need a Safety.

Personally i take a play maker in the first and go D in second. Go RT in 3rd, or even trade back into the mid to late second if you have to.

Please do not take a RT in the first round.

You win games on the lines. Our OL has holes. Simple as that. No need to be glamorous with your first round pick; be practical, win games, and hold the draft day headlines.

No NO NO...You don't take a RT at #9...Not the value pick! Take Evans if he's there! Ebron...If they are gone...LB....You can get decent tackles in the 2nd or 3rd. This offense needs weapons!

The weapons won't shoot unless you have a good line in front of them. OJ was never outstanding until he ran behind the Electric Company.

I guess nobody is catching the reports on his pro day.....which is the one he should shine at.....and how EBRON he cant seem to catch a cold down there

Yep. And his drop rate in college was bad as well. He's off the draft board. I still say got AS-J.

While I do share yours and other Bills fans concerns about player character, and don't want players who are criminals. This kid is only facing allegations, and hasn't been convicted of anything!

This isn't like Cam Newton who was actually expelled and kicked out of one college for cheating on exams. Was arrested for stealing another students laptop, and actually committed this crime. He was subsequently suspended from the team over this issue. Newton went first overall that year, and should he have been there when the Bills selected, both Gailey & Nix said they would have drafted him.

"He has been charged with felony counts of burglary, larceny and obstructing justice.

According to the University Police Department, Newton stole the laptop worth $1,700 and threw it out his dormitory window Friday when officers arrived to investigate the theft."

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5783051

I look at it this way, those Ohio fans hate the Michigan players, and would love to bring a lawsuit against a Wolverine player. Should they win, they will then bring a civil suit to make some money. There are two sides to every story, and Lewan stated he didn't hit anyone. If you think that Lewan should have had more impact as a LT for his team. Just think about all pro Jason Peters, and how it doesn't matter if only one player on that line is the best at what he does. After all, It is a team sport. Don't forget that Lewan didn't give up a sack against Clowney.

"The development of more and more complex defensive systems has also forced offenses to improve protection on both edges.

"There are some really good defensive coordinators in this league and if you have a right tackle that struggles in pass protection, teams are going to put their best pass rusher on the left side,” said Jaguars GM David Caldwell. “So you better have somebody who can protect the passer over there.”

http://www.buffalobi...e7-7115c5066dea

+1

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5783051

http://www.buffalobi...e7-7115c5066dea

First off, please don't take offense to this statement, but I should point out that I'm not an idiot...I fully realize the difference between accusation and conviction...And I don't just arbitrarily find reasons to point fingers at players, especially players from my favorite College football team, unless I have read an awful lot about the situation and get a bad feeling about the kid...Remember that before all this this Lewan admitted to threatening a female student who had accused Michigan's PK and Lewan's roommate Brendon Gibbons of rape...And had Gibbons been charged in that rape case Lewan would have been charged for the threat...

http://www.washtenaw...s-for-rape.html

I'm sure you realize the difference between the stuff Newton was linked to and the things Lewan is being accused of...They're very different kinds of crime...That's all I'll say about that...

Like I said in my post I'm a Michigan fan so believe me...I understand the rivalry and how deep the hatred runs...Those Ohio fans do hate Michigan players and would love nothing better than to bring the hammer down on Lewan...But the problem is the incident happened in Ann Arbor and by all accounts the Ann Arbor police and officials tried like hell to get rid of this...But they could not because of the eye-witness evidence...The fact that Lewan was charged with anything in this case does not bode well for him...It basically means they had no choice but to do so based on the evidence...

Here's the other side of the story... http://ohiostate.247...-Assault-167623

I don't want this to be true about Lewan...Please keep that in mind...But it's hard for me to believe his side when you look at all the evidence...And remember he is on record telling the entire Combine there is absolutely no truth to the assault charges...Maybe all this has taught Lewan a very valuable lesson and he'll be a choir boy from now on...And by no means am I saying I know he did these things...Just saying IMHO it does not look great...And knowing what I know at this moment...Without any further developments, I personally would not Draft him... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

I think that your use of "stud" RT and "stud" WR are inconsistent. I think you can find an acceptable starting RT in the 2nd or 3rd round and a "stud" WR in round 1 or a "stud" RT in round 1 and an acceptable starter at WR in round 2.

Of course I am just using general probabilities - you can get great players at any position in any round - if you are lucky (eg Brady in round 6) and you can get crap players at any position in high rounds (long list of busts at multiple positions)

I'd love to get a top playmaker for the offense AND a top OT to help both the running and passing games, but chances are you might get one great player and one adequate starter. If you get both, then great, but I don't think you can just say that it is easy to find a great (or even good) starting RT in round 2 or 3 like it is nearly a sure thing. You might just as easily find a great WR in the 2nd or 3rd round...

I dont think we are in the market for an "acceptable " WR right now.

In the first round you pick a stud whatever , but he better be all of that.

Do we have a major threat at wide receiver, kinda maybe not yet . Evans could and likely will fit that Bill ! I think Bills are in the market for That Special WR

Do we have a weakness at RT that has affected the Offense? Its seems so. I have been a fan of Pears but last year he looked haggard and worn out.

And we dont have anyone who could swing tackle if heaven forbid C Glenn had an injury . Why not get the best one we can and worry about him leaving for LT job later?

I dont care which one we get at nine. But he better step right in and be effective.

First off, please don't take offense to this statement, but I should point out that I'm not an idiot...I fully realize the difference between accusation and conviction...And I don't just arbitrarily find reasons to point fingers at players, especially players from my favorite College football team, unless I have read an awful lot about the situation and get a bad feeling about the kid...Remember that before all this this Lewan admitted to threatening a female student who had accused Michigan's PK and Lewan's roommate Brendon Gibbons of rape...And had Gibbons been charged in that rape case Lewan would have been charged for the threat...

http://www.washtenaw...s-for-rape.html

I'm sure you realize the difference between the stuff Newton was linked to and the things Lewan is being accused of...They're very different kinds of crime...That's all I'll say about that...

Like I said in my post I'm a Michigan fan so believe me...I understand the rivalry and how deep the hatred runs...Those Ohio fans do hate Michigan players and would love nothing better than to bring the hammer down on Lewan...But the problem is the incident happened in Ann Arbor and by all accounts the Ann Arbor police and officials tried like hell to get rid of this...But they could not because of the eye-witness evidence...The fact that Lewan was charged with anything in this case does not bode well for him...It basically means they had no choice but to do so based on the evidence...

Here's the other side of the story... http://ohiostate.247...-Assault-167623

I don't want this to be true about Lewan...Please keep that in mind...But it's hard for me to believe his side when you look at all the evidence...And remember he is on record telling the entire Combine there is absolutely no truth to the assault charges...Maybe all this has taught Lewan a very valuable lesson and he'll be a choir boy from now on...And by no means am I saying I know he did these things...Just saying IMHO it does not look great...And knowing what I know at this moment...Without any further developments, I personally would not Draft him... B-)

No offense to you either, but I didn't see where Lewan admitted to anything involving the alleged rape threatening, as no charges were ever filed. While heinous if true, I didn't read where he admitted it.

Inn regards to the assault, "But the case has since been reopened and transferred to a senior detective at the accuser’s request."

"Video acquired by the Ann Arbor police after the case reportedly confirms the initial account described by Curtis, Marcus and Warren: an individual trips on the fence. The ensuing activity makes the remaining video difficult to decipher."

I get the concern over these issues, and all I was trying to convey is that so many players have skeletons in their closets. These charges are his first arrest, and first involvement with the police besides parking tickets. My take is If the scouts, analysts thought there were long term serious issues with this player, that he simply wouldn't be graded as high as he currently is. A lot of sites now have Lewan going before the Bills pick because Bridgewater has dropped out of the top 10.

No offense to you either, but I didn't see where Lewan admitted to anything involving the alleged rape threatening, as no charges were ever filed. While heinous if true, I didn't read where he admitted it.

Inn regards to the assault, "But the case has since been reopened and transferred to a senior detective at the accuser’s request."

"Video acquired by the Ann Arbor police after the case reportedly confirms the initial account described by Curtis, Marcus and Warren: an individual trips on the fence. The ensuing activity makes the remaining video difficult to decipher."

I get the concern over these issues, and all I was trying to convey is that so many players have skeletons in their closets. These charges are his first arrest, and first involvement with the police besides parking tickets. My take is If the scouts, analysts thought there were long term serious issues with this player, that he simply wouldn't be graded as high as he currently is. A lot of sites now have Lewan going before the Bills pick because Bridgewater has dropped out of the top 10.

This article claims he did admit to threatening the girl...It's written by a guy who got his MBA from Michigan...It's about half way down in the article...

http://www.chatsports.com/michigan-wolverines/a/Michigan-football-covered-up-rape-allegations-and-threats-of-violence-then-lied-about-it-people-need-to-be-fired-immediately-10-2-4830

As far as the assault goes he's been charged now...We'll see how it plays out...Admittedly I've leaned a bit on the accusers accounts of the situation...Mainly because it just stands to reason that no one in Ann Arbor wanted to bring charges against Lewan unless they absolutely had no choice based on the evidence...One thing is certain...Lewan has been steadfast in saying he basically did nothing...Anything beyond that will be viewed as a lying to NFL teams...So I am inclined to give him the benefit if only for that reason...He's gone out on a ledge...It would be enormously stupid for Lewan to lie to NFL teams about what actually happened knowing these teams are considering making a large investment in him...Especially knowing the investigation was still ongoing...

Like I've said before I just don't get a great feeling about Lewan, but that's not to say he can't be a modal citizen from this point on...Before the charges were brought against him I was AOK with Drafting him...I knew about the incident, there had been no charges...No harm, no foul...But now...Well...I'd rather be on the safe side and pass on him...I hope I'm wrong and he goes on to have a successful decade-long NFL career without incident... B-)

Sorry, Manther disagree 100000000 %. You can get to the 25th wr in this class and might get a #1 out of it. There is a big diff between the top 3-6 OT's and #9 and later. The top ones Protect your QB can move and stop the fast DE's and can block 300 lb's on the other side of the ball. Wr's that can get open and catch are much easier to acquire. Again quit drafting your dessert until you've got the main course taken care of. OL,LB DB are areas that need to be strengthened up... a lot.The wr's we have now are better then the SB champs have but they have steak and lobster n the key positions and we don't. Can we please quit ordering dessert I.e. RBs/WRS in the early rounds :wallbash: Just my OP!!!

Sorry, Manther disagree 100000000 %. You can get to the 25th wr in this class and might get a #1 out of it. There is a big diff between the top 3-6 OT's and #9 and later. The top ones Protect your QB can move and stop the fast DE's and can block 300 lb's on the other side of the ball. Wr's that can get open and catch are much easier to acquire. Again quit drafting your dessert until you've got the main course taken care of. OL,LB DB are areas that need to be strengthened up... a lot.The wr's we have now are better then the SB champs have but they have steak and lobster n the key positions and we don't. Can we please quit ordering dessert I.e. RBs/WRS in the early rounds :wallbash: Just my OP!!!

What he said!! My meat and potatos draft: would be Lewan (or whichever other of the top three OT's are available) in round one, Jayce Amaro (TE) in round two and best WR available in round three. I kind of like Notre Dames TE Nikolay in round three if we go WR in round two.