Draftniks: What's the Skinny on Anthony Barr?

my bills board is Clowney-Robertson-Mack-Watkins-Mathews-Donald. If the first five are off board and we stay pat at 9- I take Donald with no hessitation. Its not a need, but he is a force

Sounds good. Now, lets just hope that the 3 QBs go in the top 8 so that at least one of the 6 you mentioned is still on the board.

I've been watching whatever I could get my hands on of this dude, not just highlights, but the Youtube clips of all the defensive snaps of a handful of games.

Early on I wasn't paying attention to him, because he was mocked top five, but with the rise (in mocks - I know they don't reflect NFL reality necessarily) of Mack, Robinson, and Watkins, there are lots of scenarios in which Barr is available at 9.

I'd love to hear from some of you that actually watch college ball, unlike me.

From what I've seen, he's a freakishly quick athlete, and I love his violence. Unlike, say, Aaron Maybin, he tackles through people and causes pain and occasional ball dislocation (both types of balls).

To my untrained eye, he also looks lost on many plays, and doesn't seem to have a variety of technique. But on the other hand, he is good for several wow plays a game. Since he has only played LB for two years, I imagine there is a lot of growth in front of him.

What if he replaced Lawson? He'd probably eff up more frequently than Manny, who was pretty solid last year. But I bet he would make some sick, game-changing plays with regularity.

Right now, I have him on my wish list at number 5, behind (in order) Mack, Clowney, Watkins, and Robinson. I would take him over Ebron, Matthews, Donald, and Mosley (in that order - and I like all of those guys - sorry Evans supporters, I'm not a fan), but then again, I'm an idiot.

Thoughts?

I didn't read the thread, but Barr is #12 on our Big Board, which we're updating today. Barr's appeal is that, while he's still green, he is versatile as an outside LB in a 3-4 or 4-3 look. That makes me think Pettine will adore him although a team that needs wins now in order to secure their job may find him a 2-3 year project.

We have a mock reflecting the Day1 of free agency already (and will be updating late afternoon action as well tonight). The Bills pick in the first round reflects TBD's poll results as well as the Bills sparse signings. -Astro

I didn't read the thread, but Barr is #12 on our Big Board, which we're updating today. Barr's appeal is that, while he's still green, he is versatile as an outside LB in a 3-4 or 4-3 look. That makes me think Pettine will adore him although a team that needs wins now in order to secure their job may find him a 2-3 year project.

We have a mock reflecting the Day1 of free agencyalready (and will be updating late afternoon action as well tonight). The Bills pick in the first round reflects TBD's poll results as well as the Bills sparse signings. -Astro

Thanks, Astro.

Wow!

@Gil_Brandt

Official pro day #s for Anthony Barr: 4.41, 4.49 40s at 249 lbs. Also had 19 lifts, up from 15 at combine. #UCLA

@Gil_Brandt

Anthony Barr has 9 team visits scheduled, 2 with top 10 teams, most others between 10-20. #NFLDraft

Crazy. An LB with good size and safety speed who hits like a billy goat. Maybe he is Byrd's replacement (just kidding).

incredibly athletic, he's sideline to sideline player and makes a lot of chase-down plays. wins with speed more than power. has elite measurables for his position. a little dumb. played very well at OLB for someone who was an RB just 2 years ago, so people think he has more room to get better then players who have been at their position since highschool. high-risk, high-reward prospect.