Draftniks: What's the Skinny on Anthony Barr?

I've been watching whatever I could get my hands on of this dude, not just highlights, but the Youtube clips of all the defensive snaps of a handful of games.

Early on I wasn't paying attention to him, because he was mocked top five, but with the rise (in mocks - I know they don't reflect NFL reality necessarily) of Mack, Robinson, and Watkins, there are lots of scenarios in which Barr is available at 9.

I'd love to hear from some of you that actually watch college ball, unlike me.

From what I've seen, he's a freakishly quick athlete, and I love his violence. Unlike, say, Aaron Maybin, he tackles through people and causes pain and occasional ball dislocation (both types of balls).

To my untrained eye, he also looks lost on many plays, and doesn't seem to have a variety of technique. But on the other hand, he is good for several wow plays a game. Since he has only played LB for two years, I imagine there is a lot of growth in front of him.

What if he replaced Lawson? He'd probably eff up more frequently than Manny, who was pretty solid last year. But I bet he would make some sick, game-changing plays with regularity.

Right now, I have him on my wish list at number 5, behind (in order) Mack, Clowney, Watkins, and Robinson. I would take him over Ebron, Matthews, Donald, and Mosley (in that order - and I like all of those guys - sorry Evans supporters, I'm not a fan), but then again, I'm an idiot.

Thoughts?

Edited by Last Guy on the Bench

1. you are not an idiot.

2. I'd take Evans over him. Barr has huge upside, and I believe turned in two solid college seasons after his move from RB. He could be the steal of the draft. He is a bit of a gamble, but I'd take it.

Ryan, have some class. He's simply asking a question. OP, IMO Barr is Maybin 2.0, he seems like a pure speed guy who doesn't have the strength to compete with bigger tackles. He is a one trick pony, that is why he is sliding down mocks from his top 5 rating early on.

Ryan, have some class. He's simply asking a question. OP, IMO Barr is Maybin 2.0, he seems like a pure speed guy who doesn't have the strength to compete with bigger tackles. He is a one trick pony, that is why he is sliding down mocks from his top 5 rating early on.

Buffalotone: I think you misread my reply. I said he was not an idiot, in response to his post where he said he was an idiot.

I also share the fear he could be Maybin 2.0, but he has dominated in college for more than one year. His lack of strenght is a bit concerning. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24455760/nfl-combine-mack-barr-raise-stakes-with-stellar-numbers

I don't know if he's Maybin 2.0 or not (but the highlight clip someone posted here a while back showed waaaay too many outside, big-loop, speed rushes), but I do know that #9 is not the place to look for 'upside' and 'steals'.

Draft one of the big tackles or Mack if he happens to drop.

I'm not big on Barr. He just doesn't look very sudden or explosive to me.

I watched 3 or 4 UCLA games this year, and I just never noticed him--even when I looked.

To me, he has the feel of a Shariff Floyd; a guy that will take a mighty tumble down the board on draft day.

I'll be underwhelmed if the Bills pick him.

Barr has huge upside...His floor is definitely better than Maybin's ever was, and though he's raw he seemed to continue to improve as an OLB...

That being said, at this point of his career anyway, what he'll bring is very similar to what Jerry Hughes brings...And the Bills have so many other needs...Needs that can be addressed by players in this Draft with similar, if not better grades than Barr...I just don't see Barr being a fit for the Bills in this Draft...I do think he'll end up being a much better player than Maybin in the NFL... B-)

Again, the thing that differentiates him, to me, from a Maybin, or a pure speed rusher, is the wicked violence with which he closes and hits people. I think that's rare.

I agree that he is a gamble. He makes me way nervous. And I could see all sorts of ways in which he wouldn't really develop into a solid NFL player. But that viciousness is really intriguing to me. I'm torn.

KD, I would without hesitation take Mack over him. Mack is my favorite player in the draft. If I had the #1 pick, I would take him over Clowney (just call me Mike Mayock, Jr.). And I would be totally happy with one of the big Tackles, although Lewan also makes me nervous.

Barr has huge upside...His floor is definitely better than Maybin's ever was, and though he's raw he seemed to continue to improve as an OLB...

That being said, at this point of his career anyway, what he'll bring is very similar to what Jerry Hughes brings...And the Bills have so many other needs...Needs that can be addressed by players in this Draft with similar, if not better grades than Barr...I just don't see Barr being a fit for the Bills in this Draft...I do think he'll end up being a much better player than Maybin in the NFL... B-)

This is a great point. I don't know where drafting Barr would leave Jerry Hughes. And I loved Hughes last year. I agree that Barr is not a great fit. But I just have this nagging suspicion that he is going to be a havoc-wreaker in the NFL. I would be tempted just to grab him and figure out a way to use him. Maybe in a straight 4-3, with Jerry subbing in on passing downs for whoever is playing DE opposite Mario, and leaving Barr in at strongside LB. I don't know.

Edited by Last Guy on the Bench

I think Aaron Donald and Dee Ford are going to be the the biggest havoc wreakers in this draft

Wouldn't be surprised. Looks like Donald is going to be one of those guys who people talk themselves out of drafting too high because of his size, but then he turns into an all-pro Geno Atkins type. Even though we have no immediate need for a DT, I would be quite content to draft him, even at 9. His on-field work speaks for itself. And his combine results showed that he is not just an effort guy.

Wouldn't be surprised. Looks like Donald is going to be one of those guys who people talk themselves out of drafting too high because of his size, but then he turns into an all-pro Geno Atkins type. Even though we have no immediate need for a DT, I would be quite content to draft him, even at 9. His on-field work speaks for itself. And his combine results showed that he is not just an effort guy.

my bills board is Clowney-Robertson-Mack-Watkins-Mathews-Donald. If the first five are off board and we stay pat at 9- I take Donald with no hessitation. Its not a need, but he is a force

Buffalotone: I think you misread my reply. I said he was not an idiot, in response to his post where he said he was an idiot.

I also share the fear he could be Maybin 2.0, but he has dominated in college for more than one year. His lack of strenght is a bit concerning. http://www.cbssports...stellar-numbers

We must be conditioned to seeing "you are an idiot," because that's what I saw at first glance too.

my bills board is Clowney-Robertson-Mack-Watkins-Mathews-Donald. If the first five are off board and we stay pat at 9- I take Donald with no hessitation. Its not a need, but he is a force

I would have no problem with Donald at #9. He would likely be the BPA in your senario. Also, DT will be a need once K. Williams retires. And we can rotate Donald and Williams/Marcel--perhaps that improves the run D some.

The only game I saw Donald play was the Syracuse game. He dominated. He is a low risk pick.

I've been watching whatever I could get my hands on of this dude, not just highlights, but the Youtube clips of all the defensive snaps of a handful of games.

Early on I wasn't paying attention to him, because he was mocked top five, but with the rise (in mocks - I know they don't reflect NFL reality necessarily) of Mack, Robinson, and Watkins, there are lots of scenarios in which Barr is available at 9.

I'd love to hear from some of you that actually watch college ball, unlike me.

From what I've seen, he's a freakishly quick athlete, and I love his violence. Unlike, say, Aaron Maybin, he tackles through people and causes pain and occasional ball dislocation (both types of balls).

To my untrained eye, he also looks lost on many plays, and doesn't seem to have a variety of technique. But on the other hand, he is good for several wow plays a game. Since he has only played LB for two years, I imagine there is a lot of growth in front of him.

What if he replaced Lawson? He'd probably eff up more frequently than Manny, who was pretty solid last year. But I bet he would make some sick, game-changing plays with regularity.

Right now, I have him on my wish list at number 5, behind (in order) Mack, Clowney, Watkins, and Robinson. I would take him over Ebron, Matthews, Donald, and Mosley (in that order - and I like all of those guys - sorry Evans supporters, I'm not a fan), but then again, I'm an idiot.

Thoughts?

I think he's a project at the position. Great athletic skills, but he's raw at the position.

GO BILLS!!!