LB coach Chuck Driesbach relieved of duties

BRAWNDO

So it is interesting that the strongest unit of the team (easily the D) ends up losing its leader (after a single year--to an organization in chaos), who then rehires the guy Marrone decided had go, and yet the weakest unit on the team (easily STs) sees its leader surviving the purge/exodus.

This doesn't say anything about Marrone (or at least Marrone/Pettine:2013)?

i dont know how strong a statement we can make - but one day it might be one of those obvious symptoms of a problem we see manifest elsewhere... or it could be nothing.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pettine saw Greggo Marrone fire a guy under Pettine's control. This after one year coaching with no true MLB to help stop the run. Meanwhile Crossman, complete with a decade of failure, is retained after costing the team multiple games. Nobody wanted the Cleveland job due to lack of patience by the management. Meanwhile in Buffalo he was already staring at lack of patience PLUS cronyism. If Dresibach, who Pettine obviously feels can do the job, had been retained, the patience issue would be there in Cleveland only and some of the cronyism stuff would have been less obvious.

Not sure what can be truly inferred from the Driesbach situation, or retaining Crossman, other than they reveal which fans like the direction Coach Marrone has taken with our team thus far (YoloinOhio, K-9, myself), and which fans (WEO, 4merper4mer) are not impressed.

To demand answers as to the specifics of why hiring/firing decisions were made is to oversimplify the elite-level coaching culture that few of us know anything about. Who really knows what conversations were had when Driesbach was canned? And once Pettine became a finalist in Cleveland? It is now obvious that they planned for MP's departure at some point, and then executed that plan.

And to accuse Marrone of cronyism is laughable --- it's the name of the game. The coaching trees of every NFL team (and university) are ripe with examples. It's not like your average "real world" job performance appraisal process. Head coaches are naturally going to elect to work their 18-hour days with guys they like and/or have worked well with in the past. I think it's now obvious that Marrone made the call in jettisoning both Hilliard and Driesbach, and he was also obviously a tremendous help in mentoring Pettine through the interview process in Cleveland. It's the Browns, but hey, still pretty cool (of Marrone) in my book.

Not sure what can be truly inferred from the Driesbach situation, or retaining Crossman, other than they reveal which fans like the direction Coach Marrone has taken with our team thus far (YoloinOhio, K-9, myself), and which fans (WEO, 4merper4mer) are not impressed.

To demand answers as to the specifics of why hiring/firing decisions were made is to oversimplify the elite-level coaching culture that few of us know anything about. Who really knows what conversations were had when Driesbach was canned? And once Pettine became a finalist in Cleveland? It is now obvious that they planned for MP's departure at some point, and then executed that plan.

And to accuse Marrone of cronyism is laughable --- it's the name of the game. The coaching trees of every NFL team (and university) are ripe with examples. It's not like your average "real world" job performance appraisal process. Head coaches are naturally going to elect to work their 18-hour days with guys they like and/or have worked well with in the past. I think it's now obvious that Marrone made the call in jettisoning both Hilliard and Driesbach, and he was also obviously a tremendous help in mentoring Pettine through the interview process in Cleveland. It's the Browns, but hey, still pretty cool (of Marrone) in my book.

Get this rational observation out of here. We're crusading here.

The man took a promotion! Do you think he would have said "No thanks, I love Doug too much!" BTW, MP needs his defensive staff together as soon as humanly possible because he has zilch on the offensive side and he is screwed until he gets that in place with pre-combijne meetings taking place with the other teams in this league this week. If you think Dreisbach was a great coach and Marrone just didn't like him, that's fine. More likely, he is someone Pettine felt comfortable enough with to move forward at least this year, now that he calls the shots, and Marrone felt was able to be upgraded.

McDaniels and Gase did exactly that.

I have no idea if Dreisbach is a good coach at all. I do know that Marrone fired him and Pettine, his most recent boss (and the the guy who ran the D) in Buffalo, thought he was good enough to rehire--immediately. The only conclusion I can come to is that Pettine didn't want him fired and Marrone fired him anyway. Now Pettine has bolted for a job, completely reasonably, that others didn't want.

Not sure who is "demanding answers". I'm just speculating, because....well, it's what fans do. And to claim the "coaching culture" is completely inscrutable is really a stretch.

Some, such as the poster above, will always be predisposed to say all of this is no big deal---rookie HC has nearly his entire defensive staff bolt after one year with him is nothing to be concerned with, nor does it signify anything in particular.

That's some tough spinning, I'd say.

Edited by Mr. WEO

I have no idea if Dreisbach is a good coach at all. I do know that Marrone fired him and Pettine, his most recent boss (and the the guy who ran the D) in Buffalo, thought he was good enough to rehire--immediately. The only conclusion I can come to is that Pettine didn't want him fired and Marrone fired him anyway. Now Pettine has bolted for a job, completely reasonably, that others didn't want.

Not sure who is "demanding answers". I'm just speculating, because....well, it's what fans do. And to claim the "coaching culture" is completely inscrutable is really a stretch.

Some, such as the poster above, will always be predisposed to say all of this is no big deal---rookie HC has nearly his entire defensive staff bolt after one year with him is nothing to be concerned with, nor does it signify anything in particular.

I wasn't worried before about this. But now I am.

Very impressive that our first year coach's assistants are all being hired for promotions.

Did Pettine's glowing remarks about Marrone and the rest of the organization smack of ANY undercurrent of discord? At all? I mean even a whiff? Or was it all a show just so fans wouldn't have something to make stuff up about?

GO BILLS!!!

Did Pettine's glowing remarks about Marrone and the rest of the organization smack of ANY undercurrent of discord? At all? I mean even a whiff? Or was it all a show just so fans wouldn't have something to make stuff up about?

GO BILLS!!!

You don't normally bash your previous employer. Especially a guy who had the guts to hire you in the first place and give you a hand. But that doesn't mean friction wasn't present or that Pettine and co. didn't see Marrone as a sinking ship.

This may all be in some fans heads. Or it might be a glimmer of the truth. I can't remember the last time 90% of a staff jumped ship in the NFL.

Edited by FireChan

Unimpressively, we went out of house to fill our coordinator spot. As these other assistants flock elsewhere.

We went out and got arguably the best guy out there and still kept our best assistant in Henderson. There is nothing to complain about except to complain. Our defense will be just fine and might actually stop the run.

Very impressive that our first year coach's assistants are all being hired for promotions.

OK, there's some topspin right there...

GO BILLS!!!

Oh come on....you can't completely believe what you just wrote. If there was ANY discord, do you really think Pettine would air it out in public? Why on earth would he do that??

Holy cow..

I think the fact that Driesbach was the man who gave Pettine his first collegiate job might be factored into this somewhat.

You don't normally bash your previous employer. Especially a guy who had the guts to hire you in the first place and give you a hand. But that doesn't mean friction wasn't present or that Pettine and co. didn't see Marrone as a sinking ship.

This may all be in some fans heads. Or it might be a glimmer of the truth. I can't remember the last time 90% of a staff jumped ship in the NFL.

No, you don't normally bash your previous employer. Do you gush glowingly about that same employer after a period of unbearable tension like that being imagined here?

Your characterization of "jumping ship" is out of line with the reality of the situation. It is anything but uncommon for promoted coordinators to take along coaches they've worked with previously. Happens all the time. It's just as much a function of Schwartz preferring his own guys, too. Otherwise O'Neil would have been the only coach allowed out of his contract. And it's not like O'Neil, Weaver, Hafley (like he even counts), had deep roots in WNY, either.

GO BILLS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

OK, there's some topspin right there...

Oh come on....you can't completely believe what you just wrote. If there was ANY discord, do you really think Pettine would air it out in public? Why on earth would he do that??

Holy cow..

Of course he wouldn't. Would he go out of his way to wax poetic about a guy he can't stand, too?

Happy trolling.

GO BILLS!!!

I think the fact that Driesbach was the man who gave Pettine his first collegiate job might be factored into this somewhat.

But not enough to hold off the firing? It seems clear that marrone and pettine diverged on this one, whatever the reason (we just don't know). The more loyal you paint pettine in the rehire, the more uncomfortable Weo can paint the situation for the firing - the two pieces of the story are at odds, until further explanation.

Lets get Mary Kay Cabot to ask!

No, you don't normally bash your previous employer. Do you gush glowingly about that same employer after a period of unbearable tension like that being imagined here?

Your characterization of "jumping ship" is out of line with the reality of the situation. It is anything but uncommon for promoted coordinators to take along coaches they've worked with previously. Happens all the time. It's just as much a function of Schwartz preferring his own guys, too. Otherwise O'Neil would have been the only coach allowed out of his contract. And it's not like O'Neil, Weaver, Hafley (like he even counts), had deep roots in WNY, either.

GO BILLS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

In the tiny, incestuous world of NFL coaching--of course you do! It goes without saying. When has that ever not been the case?

But not enough to hold off the firing? It seems clear that marrone and pettine diverged on this one, whatever the reason (we just don't know). The more loyal you paint pettine in the rehire, the more uncomfortable Weo can paint the situation for the firing - the two pieces of the story are at odds, until further explanation.

Lets get Mary Kay Cabot to ask!

I don't think Pettine hired Driesbach as an act of mercy. My guess is that he didn;t appreciate Marrone telling him who he needed to get rid (of his hand picked staff) of after a single season---and he thinks Driesbach is a good coach.