The Affordable Care Act II - Because Mr. Obama Loves You All

On 12/10/2018 at 11:29 AM, B-Man said:

WHY IS OBAMACARE ENROLLMENT DOWN? 

WONDERS THE NYT. 

Turns out it’s expensive, there are better alternatives, people don’t like it, and it isn’t mandatory anymore.

Don't worry, NYT. Your leader is going to pick up the tab for people who can't afford health costs...including illegals.

New York. Trying to out-California California.

36 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

California to New York. Hold my beer.

"Now we just need to get rid of the electoral college..."

I don't think the Dems/Left really care if this is worthwhile policy that will help people within the framework of our Republic anymore. They just want to burn the whole mother***** down.

Edited by Gavin in Va Beach

1 hour ago, LABillzFan said:

California to New York. Hold my beer.

"Now we just need to get rid of the electoral college..."

It brings up an interesting conundrum.  Federal law prohibits the federal government from providing services to illegal immigrants.  But not the state governments - they can write their own laws, and legally allow illegal immigrants to participate in state health programs...

...but Medicaid programs are state programs, but funded by federal block grants.

I can't wait for that to hit the courts.  Ironically, the Democrats could possibly end up strengthening state sovereignty in the intermediate-term...thus unintentionally shooting themselves in the foot when they try to push through socialized medicine on a national level.

45 minutes ago, B-Man said:

WHY NOT PRIVATIZE THE WHOLE THING? 

V.A. Will Spend Billions on Private Health Care. 

“The most significant change in caring for our veterans in decades.”

I'm a vet and use the VA for medical care. I live about an hour from the VA facility that I've used for about 10 years. I don't have the complaints that some people do, but I venture to guess that it has a lot to do with the particular facility and its patient load. They do outsource certain care and in my case my care was outsourced to the same private medical group that I had seen prior to opting for VA care. In my facility they "keep the trains running on time" and I've never waited longer than 5 minutes for an appointment. The staff appears to care a lot. My only issue is that the turnover is too high as I've had five different primary care professionals in those 10 years. Those professionals were either MD's, NP's or PA's. If I have the need to seek medical assistance right away there's an MD staffed emergency room that gets me to a bed in 30 minutes or less. Generally speaking, I have no real complaints regarding the VA, but I might have a different opinion if I lived elsewhere.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2019 at 10:02 AM, B-Man said:

WHY NOT PRIVATIZE THE WHOLE THING? 

V.A. Will Spend Billions on Private Health Care. 

“The most significant change in caring for our veterans in decades.”

Yes - Vets get healthcare from taxpayers for their service...so we are paying....if you privatize VA HC fully you will INCREASE the cost to the taxpayer as we have the highest cost of HC in the world - and more expensive than VA/medicare....

So why not - like increased taxes huh? 

• Like (+1) 1

Citizens are waking up.

Voter support for “Medicare for All” has collapsed by 50 percent over the last month, according to polling from Politico/Morning Consult.

Until this month, the Democrats’ single-payer “Medicare for All” scheme enjoyed majority support in this same poll going back months. But now that the ugly details of the program are actually being debated and publicized, net approval for the scheme has been cut in half.

“From January to February, net support for single-payer health system fell over 50% to 12 points,” the pollster reports.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Citizens are waking up.

Voter support for “Medicare for All” has collapsed by 50 percent over the last month, according to polling from Politico/Morning Consult.

Until this month, the Democrats’ single-payer “Medicare for All” scheme enjoyed majority support in this same poll going back months. But now that the ugly details of the program are actually being debated and publicized, net approval for the scheme has been cut in half.

“From January to February, net support for single-payer health system fell over 50% to 12 points,” the pollster reports.

Polling questions are important. People may think Medicare for all is a good idea until they're asked what they think of it when all private insurance is eliminated.

1 minute ago, grinreaper said:

Polling questions are important. People may think Medicare for all is a good idea until they're asked what they think of it when all private insurance is eliminated.

Exactly.

and that is what several 2020 candidates have signed onto.

Confirmed: CBO's projections on the consequences of Obamacare repeal were disastrously wrong

I realize that Republicans' failed "repeal and replace" adventure feels like ancient history at this point -- especially with Democrats increasingly embracing their next reckless healthcare scheme -- but going back to review the record can occasionally be quite illuminating.  You may recall that one of the rhetorical lynchpins of the Left's anti-repeal fear mongering was the ubiquitous assertion that "millions" would "lose healthcare" if the GOP had succeeded in their legislative effort.  I spent quite a lot of energy during that debate debunking various claims and checking facts.  One of the major points I emphasized was that the projections of "lost coverage" relied on extremely questionable analyses from the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office:

Fully 73 percent of "lost" coverage would arise from individuals making a choice to exit the marketplace after the federal government ceased requiring every American to purchase insurance.  CBO analysts apparently believe the mandate has mystical influence over consumers' decisions, unlike other incentives built into Republican bills -- such as a surcharge for non-continuous coverage, or a six-month waiting period to obtain plans for people with nonexistent or lapsed coverage.  The folly of this approach is exposed by the second factor Roy mentions, which accounts for almost all of CBO's remaining coverage differential between Obamacare and various replacement plans: The "outdated baseline."  What does that mean?  Put simply, CBO has always vastly overestimated how many people would be compelled by the individual mandate tax to purchase plans.  Even as their projections have been disproven by actual Obamacare sign-ups, CBO hasn't sufficiently updated their expectations to reflect, well, reality.  They've instead rooted their latest analyses in 2016 projections that have already been debunked by real-life results, to the tune of millions of people.

My point was that of the big, scary "lost coverage" number (in the ballpark of 23 million people), almost all of it was based on a combination of (a) estimates of people choosing to forego Obamacare plans if they weren't required to buy them, and (b) CBO's wildly and provably inaccurate enrollment projections. In the excerpt above, I reference "Roy," as in healthcare wonk Avik Roy, who'd been beating the drum on this very same issue.  Another flaw he raised was CBO's bizarre assumption that if Obamacare's individual mandate tax were repealed, millions of people would supposedly drop their Medicaid coverage, which was costing them nothing out-of-pocket.  Anyway, I've rehashed these arguments because new government data confirms that CBO's number crunchers were, indeed, catastrophically wrong:

{snip}

In guessing the enrollment impact of axing the individual mandate tax on both the exchanges and Medicaid, CBO was off by more than...15 million people. "While any CBO analysis of the Republican bills was likely to project large coverage losses due to the cuts to Medicaid and subsidies, if CBO had more realistic assumptions about the mandate, the numbers would have been significantly smaller, and perhaps left more room to convince centrist Republicans to get on board," Klein writes.

More at the link:

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2019/02/22/surprise-cbos-estimates-on-the-wages-of-obamacare-repeal-were-disastrously-wrong-n2542010

Edited by B-Man

• 2 weeks later...
President Trump’s call for more than $845 billion in reductions for the federal health program teed up a potential battle between Democratic proposals for Medicare-for-all and a kind of Medicare-for-less approach from Republicans who are focused on cutting back on spending.

• 2 weeks later...