70-yard field goal possible

papazoid

"If I pulled out the 8-degree driver – on a day when I'm feeling real fresh – I could probably hit one from 70 yards,'' Ravens Justin Tucker told USA TODAY Sports. "I hit one from 70 yards in pregame in Detroit this past Monday night.''

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/ravens/2013/12/20/justin-tucker-61-yards-field-goal-record-matt-prater/4145697/

These kickers are juiced nowadays. They get away with it because nobody expects it...or cares.

I think it's very possible, but coaches have been reluctant to try it, mainly because a miss, which is more than likely, would give the opponent very good field position.

Edited by kas23

These kickers are juiced nowadays. They get away with it because nobody expects it...or cares.

I think it's very possible, but coaches have been reluctant to try it, mainly because a miss, which is more than likely, would give the opponent very good field position.

Right. In the middle of a close game, you'll rarely if ever see it because of the field advantage it gives opponents.

At the end of the game you'll rarely ever see it because you play to set up a closer opportunity to play the odds.

At the end of the half, however, we have already seen it. I believe it was Janikowski (who undoubtedly has a bigger leg than Tuck) who attempted a 73.

If I had a kicker who made a few 70s in practice, I would absolutely send him out there with no pressure at the end of a half.

Some day though he could kick one to win a game with no time left on the clock! Edited by Trader

As kickers get stronger and more accurate, I hope to see more of the rare Free Kick play attempts, where the trailing team fair catches a punt then -if I understand it right- they get an Un-opposed FG try from the spot of the Fair catch. It's always been a rule in football, but I don't recall and NFL team ever accomplishing it -at least not in the 'modern era'.

FGs are too easy now and have taken away from the game a bit so I think its time to shorten the width of the posts to make them a little harder and discourage teams from attempting so many

I agree. It seems like everything fro within 40 yards is automatic, and even the super long ones are now 70/30 propositions instead of 50/50.

I'm surprised we don't see the free kick more often. These days most NFL place kickers can hit one from 60+ pretty easily with no defensive pressure. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Maybe it's just a very rare occurrence to have a fair catch within that range at the end of a half?

Nope:http://extramustard.si.com/2013/10/21/pat-mcafee-punter-colts-steroid-test/

FGs are too easy now and have taken away from the game a bit so I think its time to shorten the width of the posts to make them a little harder and discourage teams from attempting so many

How wide were the posts in SB 25?

Would you rather instead see teams encouraged to punt more?

I don't understand the "kickers are too accurate now" arguement. Why isn't that a good thing? Teams still have to drive down filed (in most instances) before attempting one. Why would any team's fans want a situation where salvaging a stalled drive with 3 points would be more difficult? Makes no sense. Didn't the Bills release Lindell because he was an 81% FG career guy? His FGs were hardly a "sure thing". In fact Carpenter was cut by Miami for the same reason (his average for his career is only 83%). Everyone here seems quite happy that he is making 90% of his FGs.

Given the tired observation that "the NFL has become a passing game", and that it only favors QBs and WRs and that passing stats are ballooning over the past decade, should we be calling for heavier footballs? Limits on how many passes can be attempted per game, because they are "too easy"?

Of course not. The FG problem isn't a problem at all. Doesn't need fixing.