Woke up this morning, feeling a little better

dubs

Last night was a tough loss, no doubt. That game was the Bills for the taking. To instead lose that game, stings, but I can't feel too bad about it. Then I read Sully's article and I actually can't believe it but I tend to agree with him.

This is a team headed in the right direction. It seems to me that every game it looks more and more like we have the right pieces in place to be a good team in this league. EJ continues to improve (hopefully he's learned to step out of bounds now), Woods looks like the real deal, Kiko is playing lights out (that dive over the line was incredible), and while the coaching staff has made some mistakes I think overall they are doing a good job.

I know Bills fans want (and deserve!) playoffs right away, but we have to remember we have rookies all over the place. Realistically, next year was our year for the playoffs before the season began and it's looking no different now. If that happens, I can live with it.

Feeling good you lost to Weeden and McGahee??? Yeah I'm Not!!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just a different feel. We've been in every game, closed out two, lost three. I just don't see us getting creamed like we did in the past. Physically we are matching up much better (maybe with the exception of the Jets game). IMHO, we play the rest of the year like this and it's a success. Finish somewhere between 7-9 and 9-7 and I will take that as a good year and a team moving in the right direction.

Then we have another draft next year similar to what this past one is looking like and all of a sudden we are a force to contend with and have a solid, young core.

As much as we'd like to see them turn it around in a snap, it's not realistic. Teams that have done it have done it under much different circumstances.

Colts - Lucked into an incredible draft and made the playoffs despite being outscored that year.

Seahawks - had a very good team with the exception of QB. Brought in a guy that fit their scheme well and it's looking good.

Skins - smoke and mirrors, they look terrible now

Posts like these are so refreshing after a tough loss. We seem to all get caught up in each game that it makes us look a little bi-polar. We forget that this is one of the youngest teams in the league with a rookie coaching staff. I agree, we are headed in the right direction!

Go Bills!!

Speaking of the rookie coaching staff - to this date, I haven't seen anything from Marrone, either in tactics or strategy, that gives me great optimism for the future. So far he looks like more of the same mediocrity that has plagued the Bills for years. I'll reserve my final conclusions about him for now, but I'm not encouraged.

Feeling good you lost to Weeden and McGahee??? Yeah I'm Not!!!

uh...you do realize that McGahee averaged 2.8 yards a carry, right? Weeden is their starting QB and much MUCH better than Tuel. There is a reason he was a first round pick. Not saying those guys are pro bowlers, but McGahee wasn't very good last night and Weeden is decent. I think the correlation for the Browns resurgence has much more to do with Gordon coming back than their QB.

These are the type of threads that make this place great. You have to temper emotions during a season like this.

This team isn't perfect, but they are getting better. I don't see one game left on the schedule that gives me the old "we have zero chance" feeling.

These kids are young, banged up and still playing their asses off. Losing hurts, but lets enjoy the ride. I think we may be on to something here.

I'd like to add that Dareus is busting out, Lawson looks like a great FA signing and Mario Williams is tied for the league lead with 7 1/2 sacks. If/when everyone is finally healthy (could come against Cincinnati) this defense is going to be one to be reckoned with.

Agreed! Like I said in another post, the other half of the equation (for a better D) is the offense opening up a bit more. Hackett needs to cut the cord and let EJ go out and play. This, coupled with the return of our actual starters in the D backfield lets Pettine go crazy with formations and blitz packages.

Bottom line is this team has snatched defeat from the jaws of victory three times in five games so far and has the all the depth of a hollywood starlet. Injuries have ravaged this team (again) and the front office continues to play cheap. The way this team is run, it's not enough to be talented, you have to be perfect because the front office leaves the players and coaches NO room for error.

I am having fun watching the team each week, they're young and exciting and are playing their hearts out. It's just too bad OBD won't help out their own cause. My biggest fear is that we waste Pettine's brilliance on defense. He's here for 2 seasons, tops, before he's gone as a HC somewhere else. Hackett has not impressed me. So, despite being young and on the rise, there seems to be a very limited window for the team to find success... and we're already 3 games in the hole.

The good news is that the Dolphins and Jets are not as good as we thought they might be heading into the season, the *Pats are still the *Pats, but 8 or 9 wins isn't out of the realm of possibility still for this team... if OBD gets off their ass of course. If we start Tuel next week we will know full well how little the front office cares about winning.

I actually woke up more pissed off than I was last night. A game Bills should have won. I do think the team is getting better but still really pissed.

I feel the same way. EJ was to learn to get out of bound and save not only himself but keep the team in the mix. If he steps out of bounds we win the game , im sure of it.

Now he is out a few weeks. any hope for the playofs is out the window.

That what I'm mad about, with EJ we have a chance to win every game, without him we are toast.

I feel the same way. EJ was to learn to get out of bound and save not only himself but keep the team in the mix. If he steps out of bounds we win the game , im sure of it.

Now he is out a few weeks. any hope for the playofs is out the window.

That what I'm mad about, with EJ we have a chance to win every game, without him we are toast.

... Which is a direct reflection on how piss poor the front office continues to manage this franchise. Cheap is cheap.

If you are referring to the backup QB, I totally agree. It never made sense to me that we didn't have at least a below average veteran come in and stay with the team after Kolb went down the second time. Anything would be better than Tuel. I am not sure if the reason is penny pinching, but whatever the reason, it's a bad one.

It would have not cost much to bring in an experienced though mediocre back-up. It's incredibly poor judgement more than anything else.

It would have not cost much to bring in an experienced though mediocre back-up. It's incredibly poor judgement more than anything else.

Agreed.

Now with two bum knees and being out for a few weeks there's no excuse not to bring in a veteran. Pickings are slim, but gotta do better than Beck or Leinart.

I'd like to add that Dareus is busting out, Lawson looks like a great FA signing and Mario Williams is tied for the league lead with 7 1/2 sacks. If/when everyone is finally healthy (could come against Cincinnati) this defense is going to be one to be reckoned with.

Yes....the defense still has some issues, but man, are they so much better than they have been the last few years? I had very low expectations for the Bills this season, and I am comfortable with this being a re-build season, as long as I feel like we are seeing progress. I think we are seeing progress in very substantial ways. I know, another rough night for the secondary last night...but this was a little different. This wasn't just one deep pass after another to guys that are wide open...the Bills had decent coverage on most plays, but it was simply a case of their WR beating our DB one on one...in good position...they were fighting for the ball, not just playing a game of "pickle in the middle", as we are accustomed to. Loved seeing the rushing stunts, we are getting production out of guys that we are paying a ton of money too...Mario has 7 sacks already? Dareus has looked like a much more consistent factor... Manny Lawson has been a great addition...Hughes had a decent game last night...so, we are finally starting to see some progress on defense...and Kiko Alonso is a budding superstar...already.

To me, even if it ultimately doesn't lead to a bunch more wins, I think it is important that the Bills fo make a great effort to finding a QB to play the 4-8 weeks that EJ is out. It just sends the wrong message to sign another journeymen (Trent Edwards anyone?)...this team is so close to making the leap, it would be a step back to stick with Tuel. They need to start experiencing some success, or risk slipping back into the malaise that losing week after week tends to bring.

I am not saying Tuel can not play better than he showed last night (that was pitiful), but it is clear he is a project back-up QB. Unless they find out that there is a lot more behind the scenes stuff than we know, I really hope they sign Freeman. Or, next option, trade Byrd to the Giants (they really need a safety) for Nassib and a 2nd/3rd round pick. Nassib may not be a lot better than Tuel, but i think he would be a slight upgrade....is in football shape already...and knows the offense.

Edited by Buftex

THIS Defense may well develop into among the best in the league by season's end. If they do it fast enough - with Gilmore back they may - it's conceivable this team makes playoff push with a FA QB pickup. Jets in the past showed it can be done.

It just sends the wrong message to sign another journeymen (Trent Edwards anyone?)...this team is so close to making the leap, it would be a step back to stick with Tuel. They need to start experiencing some success, or risk slipping back into the malaise that losing week after week tends to bring.

Who do you imagine they will get >> Journeyman QB? Not the Bills fault - but good QB's are on teams already.

Edited by BobChalmers