Is Marcus Easley this teams version of Steve Tasker?

VirginiaMike

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easley did take one kickoff return to the house I believe. And yes he is WAY faster than tasker its not even close.

His knack for being unblockable on kick coverage reminds me of Tasker as well, and it has really helped this team. Marcus could make the pro bowl if he keeps this up.

Nice to see him making an impact after all the patience we've had for the kid and all the work he's put in. Im proud of him.

Even though its probably not what he imagined when he was drafted, it's still a huge help to our team.

+1

I know we are all prone to overreaction after a nice win or ugly loss so here is mine. After watching Easley cover punts and kickoffs in the last couple of games, I have to say that I don't think anyone has done it much better for the Bills, outside of Steve Tasker. Now Easley has to show the durability to approach Tasker in Bill's lore, he is certainly getting the job done. I hope he keeps it up!

I usually don't like comparisons like this but I have been thinking the same thing myself. I haven't seen this kind of special teams play on the Bills since Tasker. And while Aiken played well on ST's, he wasn't nearly as effective as Easley has been so far. Easley has made the difference on just about every special teams play this year, he's been flat out dominant.

Still, I'd rather see him get a shot at WR...Graham is painful lacking the necessary tools, despite his one good play of the season last week.

I know we are all prone to overreaction after a nice win or ugly loss so here is mine. After watching Easley cover punts and kickoffs in the last couple of games, I have to say that I don't think anyone has done it much better for the Bills, outside of Steve Tasker. Now Easley has to show the durability to approach Tasker in Bill's lore, he is certainly getting the job done. I hope he keeps it up!

I just wish they would let him do the WR thing to at least see if he can be the guy we drafted him to be & or develop into that guy !!

I don't ever recall Tasker returning KOs (Easley does, but he never gets a chance to actually return them). Tasker didn't return punts til late in his career & as I recall, didn't enjoy it. He wasn't a particularly good returner, but one thing he was EXCELLENT about was that he fielded EVERYTHING and reliably so punters seldom got the advantage of roll distance.

Oakland Raiders vs Bills [1994 Jan 15] Tasker returned kickoff 67 yards.

Oakland Raiders vs Bills [1994 Jan 15] Tasker returned kickoff 67 yards.

Yes but this was a fluke. Oakland tried to squib but kicked a low line drive and Tasker, as a blocker, snagged it out of midair close to the 30 yard line then ran down to the 1 yard line. Helluva play but not even remotely a planned KO return for him http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0lTywa3wafU#t=1710

It was really fricking cold that day FWIW - the previous game vs. the Jets too. Ridiculous.

Easley did take one kickoff return to the house I believe. And yes he is WAY faster than tasker its not even close.

His knack for being unblockable on kick coverage reminds me of Tasker as well, and it has really helped this team. Marcus could make the pro bowl if he keeps this up.

Nice to see him making an impact after all the patience we've had for the kid and all the work he's put in. Im proud of him.

Even though its probably not what he imagined when he was drafted, it's still a huge help to our team.

I was watching the game at the Tennessee Bill Backers bar this week and a lot of people were really noticing him as well as I was. My ever so bold prediction is that he will supplant TJ Graham in the lineup at some point, the guy just gets open, whether breaking away from blockers on special teams, or running routes. I have been an advocate of his from day one, he just always seems to stand out.

Easley has impressed so far this season (particularly after an injury plagued brief career) but give us a break with this way premature question. Tasker is a legit HOF prospect who was not only fast, versatile and smart (he singlehandedly forced the NFL to change the rules because he manipulated how one covers kicks with his smarts). Easley however has not even earned his second contract. Easley is still a contract (or two) of production away from justifiably being mentioned in the same sentence as Tasker.

Easley has impressed so far this season (particularly after an injury plagued brief career) but give us a break with this way premature question. Tasker is a legit HOF prospect who was not only fast, versatile and smart (he singlehandedly forced the NFL to change the rules because he manipulated how one covers kicks with his smarts). Easley however has not even earned his second contract. Easley is still a contract (or two) of production away from justifiably being mentioned in the same sentence as Tasker.

Why is it we can't see a positive on Easley and even mentioning his name in the same sentence as Tasker is premature, but even though Manuel has shown little in the preseason and 4 games into the season, it is alright to consider him our new Franchise QB and compare him to Kelly.

If it is too soon to give Easley any credibility, why is it alright to anoint Manuel the savior of the Bills. I have seen flashes of talent from Easley, A Williams, Kiko and Woods. Even McKelvin has impressed at times. I have seen little above average from Manuel, although we all hope it is coming. Let's be consistent in our praises and expectations here.

If they would have played Tasker in the slot instead of outside he would have put up big numbers like Welker.

You are dead on.... Too bad that style of passing game wasnt "in vogue" back then! Towards end of career he did play very well at WR and i remember Jimbo even saying, he has best hands on team and always wanted them to use him more on offense. A guy like him could do the exact same style of slot receiver a guy like Welker is. Maybe he wouldnt have been as good as Welker, cuz as much as i hate him i totally respect him as a football player and has really been the "model" for new style of offenses and giving college kids who were small but very productive receivers, hope for an NFL career when years ago, they would always simply be labeled college type WR's that are fast or big enough for NFL.

Why is it we can't see a positive on Easley and even mentioning his name in the same sentence as Tasker is premature, but even though Manuel has shown little in the preseason and 4 games into the season, it is alright to consider him our new Franchise QB and compare him to Kelly.

If it is too soon to give Easley any credibility, why is it alright to anoint Manuel the savior of the Bills. I have seen flashes of talent from Easley, A Williams, Kiko and Woods. Even McKelvin has impressed at times. I have seen little above average from Manuel, although we all hope it is coming. Let's be consistent in our praises and expectations here.

You are right. It is simply stupid to compare Manuel after 4 games to HOFer's Jimbo's entire career as it is also flat put nuts to compare Easeley's short career to the entirety of legit HOF prospect Tasker's career. Perhaps there is a useful comparison between Kelly after 4 games and Manuel after 4 games or Easely after a couple of seasons with Tasker after a couple of seasons. Yet even this comparison is stupid for predicting the future for Easely or Manuel. Who knows what injuries will happen.

• 2 weeks later...

The coaching staff seems willing to make changes in season to any under performers, i.e. Legursky or Moorman as an example, so I'm hopeful they give Easley his shot after seeing Hogan on film. Not sure switching #5 and #6 receivers will make too much of a difference with Stevie and Goodwin coming back, but it'd be nice to see what he can do when the situation calls for it.