Piling onto the ROOKIE EJ Manuel is moronic

I realize it's not EJ.

It was EJ. It was the OL and it was the WRs. Just because others struggled doesn't mean EJ gets a free pass for his mistakes. He was horrendous yesterday. It was about as bad of a performance as I've seen at the QB position in a long while. That being said the rest of the O sucked too so it was a total team collapse, not just EJ.

The one positive I have from yesterday's game is that the week before Brady threw for less than 50% and sucked as well so I think it's safe to say the Jets have one hell of a defense and it's not just our rookie QB. Let's see how he bounced back next week against the...gulp...Ravens. :ph34r:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Pressure all day

- Running game is predictable

- EJ is in bad third downs all day

- Does Hacket have a CLUE of how to give his ROOKIE QB a safety valve....where where the FB passes to the flat

- Screens?

EJ Manuel did not play well today.....did people really think there were not going to be bumps in the road this season? He was sacked what.....7 times? I feel like Hackett had his nose in "The complete idiots guide to offense" and was running it chapter by chapter....since when is it a good idea to play power football with CJ Spiller.....where was the hot read for EJ?

And what is this moronic "but Geno played well so EJ should have done it to" Were the jets missing their top defensive backs like were? Were the jets missing their top safety like we were? Do you HONESTLY think McKelvin or Gilmore would have been burned all day like Justin Rogers was? Marcel Darius? We were decimated by injuries going into this game and just kept taking more as the game goes on.

Come on people get grip

+1

- Pressure all day

- Does Hacket have a CLUE of how to give his ROOKIE QB a safety valve....where where the FB passes to the flat

- Screens?

EJ Manuel did not play well today.....did people really think there were not going to be bumps in the road this season? He was sacked what.....7 times? I feel like Hackett had his nose in "The complete idiots guide to offense" and was running it chapter by chapter....since when is it a good idea to play power football with CJ Spiller.....where was the hot read for EJ?

And what is this moronic "but Geno played well so EJ should have done it to" Were the jets missing their top defensive backs like were? Were the jets missing their top safety like we were? Do you HONESTLY think McKelvin or Gilmore would have been burned all day like Justin Rogers was? Marcel Darius? We were decimated by injuries going into this game and just kept taking more as the game goes on.

Come on people get grip

Good post John. Yeh, things like screens/slip-screens, tight end screens, ect., ect. Where are they? We knew coming into the season there would be games like this as part of the maturation process. But better play-design on offense is needed here. On defense? Man we can't stop 3rd & long worth a _ _ _ _.

- Pressure all day

- Screens?

Come on people get grip

He was the focus of much praise last week (and after week 1). He received too much praise. Is he getting too much blame? Maybe, but that's what he signed up for. He sucked yesterday. You are correct WRT Hackett. Poorly called game, but the execution (calling John McKay) was just as bad.

I agree. I think we should expect games like this our of a rookie. I think EJ is the future of this team, although yesterday -for the first time- made me seriously begin to question that. Let us see what the rest of the season brings. Hopefully this is a bump in the road. I think a major portion of the blame goes to the o line and play calling. Even so, EJ was totally off all day.

What I don't understand is why he was not pulled in the late 3rd quarter early 4th quarter. I know most will say that they don't want him to lose confidence or that he gave us the best chance to win. Frankly, I do not buy either argument. He learned nothing by being in there at that point in the game. Indeed, you could argue that staying in shook his confidence more. Even so, if the guy can't handle taking a seat for a quarter, he is not the kind of guy that is the future of the team. In addition, he did not give us the best chance to win, His passed were wildly inaccurate. The defense, although not great, kept us in the game as did the Jets stupid mistakes, I just think a change of pace with Tuel may (not definate) have given the team a better chance.

There will be bumps in the road with rookies, we all get that, but when there are bumps, the coaches must manage the situation, just letting him faulter in there helps nobody.

With that - let the criticism of this post begin!

I agree. I think we should expect games like this our of a rookie. I think EJ is the future of this team, although yesterday -for the first time- made me seriously begin to question that. Let us see what the rest of the season brings. Hopefully this is a bump in the road. I think a major portion of the blame goes to the o line and play calling. Even so, EJ was totally off all day.

What I don't understand is why he was not pulled in the late 3rd quarter early 4th quarter. I know most will say that they don't want him to lose confidence or that he gave us the best chance to win. Frankly, I do not buy either argument. He learned nothing by being in there at that point in the game. Indeed, you could argue that staying in shook his confidence more. Even so, if the guy can't handle taking a seat for a quarter, he is not the kind of guy that is the future of the team. In addition, he did not give us the best chance to win, His passed were wildly inaccurate. The defense, although not great, kept us in the game as did the Jets stupid mistakes, I just think a change of pace with Tuel may (not definate) have given the team a better chance.

There will be bumps in the road with rookies, we all get that, but when there are bumps, the coaches must manage the situation, just letting him faulter in there helps nobody.

EJ tied the game up late in the 4th. But let's pull him, whatever.

- Pressure all day

- Screens?

Come on people get grip

Well, that sums up everything I've been saying. Also, no QB would have had a good day behind that line and w/ that play calling. Perhaps Peyton Manning, but no one else. Big Ben is struggling w/ fumbles and INT's in Pittsburgh, due to no running game and poor O-line play.

Nope. Agreement. The coaches are trying to make EJ win the games way too much. The O-line is a huge liability, and the play calling is not helping EJ out AT ALL.

Who are these rookie quarterbacks?

A) 3-13, 26 TD, 28 INT, QB rating: 71.2

B) 0-11, 9 TD, 18 INT, QB rating: 55.7

C) 1-4, 3 TD, 8 INT, QB rating: 56.9

D) 3-13, 12 TD, 14 INT, QB rating: 76.9

E) 4-12, 22 TD, 17 INT, QB rating: 83.8

F) 4-6, 7 TD, 14 INT, QB rating: 54.9

G) 8-8, 17 TD, 16 INT, QB rating: 76.9

The answers?

A) Peyton Manning

B) Troy Aikman

C) Steve Young

D) Warren Moon

E) Jim Kelly

F) John Elway

G) Drew Brees

Last I heard, those guys all turned out OK.

The sky is not falling.

+1. When they win, EJ is great, when they lose, EJ is terrible. I love fans.

- Pressure all day

- Screens?

Come on people get grip

Thank for a well reasoned, logical and unemotional post. Now I will cease reading TSW until next week.

+1. When they win, EJ is great, when they lose, EJ is terrible. I love fans.

He was terrible in our loss yesterday. Facts are facts.

But I still think the OP is spot on. It's week 3. If he's still doing this in the last 1/3 of the season, I'll start to become concerned. Right now ... nah.

- Pressure all day

- Screens?

Come on people get grip

I Agree with all of that. They need to bring back the screen with CJ! PLEASE!

Edited by Braedenstearns

EJ tied the game up late in the 4th. But let's pull him, whatever.

To be honest, the Jets were far more responsible for the Bills last score than the Bills were.

But throwing Manuel under the bus for one stinker game makes no sense either. Besides, he was not alone in the stinking department. Numerous coaches and players from both sidelines made that game the stink-fest that it was.

Well, that sums up everything I've been saying. Also, no QB would have had a good day behind that line and w/ that play calling. Perhaps Peyton Manning, but no one else. Big Ben is struggling w/ fumbles and INT's in Pittsburgh, due to no running game and poor O-line play.

Nope. Agreement. The coaches are trying to make EJ win the games way too much. The O-line is a huge liability, and the play calling is not helping EJ out AT ALL.

The defensive game plan is as such. EJ is just going to need to beat them...

in re-watching the game last night I saw hook route after hook route giving ej no where to go, CJ also was not as bad as he looked as I noticed the line not making holes on all but one play where he just missed it, but that was one out of 5 where there was nothing there. HACKETT SUCKS!

Great post...And proper perspective...

It's not going to be all roses with EJ this year...We better get used to that fact...And unless the Bills can figure out how to run the ball MUCH better, and get the kid into better 3rd down situations, it's going to continue to be up and down for him this year...

Excellent Point

He is a QB in the NFL now... Expect it, Learn to handle it, If you want it to change, win.

Oversimplication is a wonderful thing. Yesterday EJ did not play well. There were a number of reasons for this and the majority of them were not his fault. Piling on is just ignorant of the game of football. Was it ihs fault that the OC never adjusted to what the defense was giving them? Was it his fault that the O-Line played putridly and the Jets were in his face all day? Of course it wasn't. No he didn't play well and some of that is on him. Not all of it however.

Manuel was sacked 8 times and pressured all day. I lay no (NONE) blame at his feet. Colin Brown should be traded for a dog. TJ Graham is not an NFL WR and the OC and DC did their struggling players no favors by repeatedly putting them in a position to fail.

Nah, EJ will be alright. I was shocked he tied it up.