Piling onto the ROOKIE EJ Manuel is moronic

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you go onto any team's fan message board, except maybe the 3-0 teams (but maybe also the Pats) you will see play calling criticized and questioned. Maybe deservedly so. I just feel like the coaches are calling the plays based upon the defense they see and the personnel they have. They have the expertise to do this. The Steelers fans want to get rid of Todd Haley. Would you rather have Haley than Hackett? Based on most of the OC posts I see, the answer is probably yes. But the offensive problems at Pitt are because of lack of OL and talent. Not his play calling. My point is, Hackett had to be more than familiar with the defense and his game plan was predicated on what they would do, his personnel on the field, and EJ's current level of experience/understanding. Also, Marrone is former NFL OC and this isn't 100% Hackett. I'm not a football expert, but I somewhat trust them, and the fact that the NYJ defense was outstanding and we still were in the game until the very end makes me think they were not completely off base with it. I am not an x's and o's person so I can't say what they should have run. But they want to win, and they have so far lost 2 games by a total of 10 points and won one with a rookie QB.

Edited by YoloInTheBlo

If you go onto any team's fan message board, except maybe the 3-0 teams (but maybe also the Pats) you will see play calling criticized and questioned. Maybe deservedly so. I just feel like the coaches are calling the plays based upon the defense they see and the personnel they have. They have the expertise to do this. The Steelers fans want to get rid of Todd Haley. Would you rather have Haley than Hackett? Based on most of the OC posts I see, the answer is probably yes. But the offensive problems at Pitt are because of lack of OL and talent. Not his play calling. My point is, Hackett had to be more than familiar with the defense and his game plan was predicated on what they would do, his personnel on the field, and EJ's current level of experience/understanding. Also, Marrone is former NFL OC and this isn't 100% Hackett. I'm not a football expert, but I somewhat trust them, and the fact that the NYJ defense was outstanding and we still were in the game until the very end makes me think they were not completely off base with it. I am not an x's and o's person so I can't say what they should have run. But they want to win, and they have so far lost 2 games by a total of 10 points and won one with a rookie QB.

Todd Haley is a terrible coach and a giant douche. He is a former golfer who's dad got him a job in the NFL. He is a joke and owes everything he has accomplished to daddy and Kurt Warner, Boldin, and fitzgerald.

Interesting take regarding Patriots RB Stevan Ridley

"Ridley's struggles have largely been a result of his inability to run outside and behind the tackles. In his first three games, Ridley carried the ball 17 times behind either the left or right tackle for a grand total of 42 yards. If Ridley continues to struggle running outside of and behind the tackles, you can expect the low production to continue.

Last season, when the Patriots' passing game was operating at a much higher level, Ridley had a greater degree of success running the ball up the middle because defensive linebackers on opposing teams had to hang back to cover any potential plays up the middle. Because Tom Brady and the young receiving corps has been unable to attain any kind of success in the air so far this year, defenses are able to collapse the middle of the line of scrimmage more frequently, making life for running backs like Ridley more difficult.":

http://sports.yahoo....00344--nfl.html

This same reasoning applies to the Buffalo Bills in terms of offense. Teams have focused on stopping Spiller by stacking the box and forcing EJ to beat them. Which he is having difficulty doing because the running game clearly isn't working with Spiller.

Now, under Chan Gailey the Bills ran that shotgun spread offense and actually threw more then they ran, so when they ran Spiller in that offense he usually only needed to break one tackle and he was off to the races. The team had bunches of big gains at times because of that spread offense. It is more difficult to stack the box against a spread offense because it forces the defense to cover the entire field. However if they do still stack the box then short passes and screens should give the defense fits.

I also think the Bills coaching staff is trying to keep the TE in most of the time to protect EJ, and also may be concerned with EJ being able to get the ball out in 3 seconds or under while making more then just a single read.

Todd Haley is a terrible coach and a giant douche. He is a former golfer who's dad got him a job in the NFL. He is a joke and owes everything he has accomplished to daddy and Kurt Warner, Boldin, and fitzgerald.

There is a clear disconnect between Big Ben and Todd Haley. The plays Haley is calling aren't working because the Steelers lost all pro center Pouncey, and the middle of that line is collapsing every play.

Even with Pouncy in there the Steelers (Big Ben) were having difficulty running Haleys offense. He does suck.

Edited by FeartheLosing

Interesting take regarding Patriots RB Stevan Ridley

"Ridley's struggles have largely been a result of his inability to run outside and behind the tackles. In his first three games, Ridley carried the ball 17 times behind either the left or right tackle for a grand total of 42 yards. If Ridley continues to struggle running outside of and behind the tackles, you can expect the low production to continue.

Last season, when the Patriots' passing game was operating at a much higher level, Ridley had a greater degree of success running the ball up the middle because defensive linebackers on opposing teams had to hang back to cover any potential plays up the middle. Because Tom Brady and the young receiving corps has been unable to attain any kind of success in the air so far this year, defenses are able to collapse the middle of the line of scrimmage more frequently, making life for running backs like Ridley more difficult.":

http://sports.yahoo....00344--nfl.html

This same reasoning applies to the Buffalo Bills in terms of offense. Teams have focused on stopping Spiller by stacking the box and forcing EJ to beat them. Which he is having difficulty doing because the running game clearly isn't working with Spiller.

Now, under Chan Gailey the Bills ran that shotgun spread offense and actually threw more then they ran, so when they ran Spiller in that offense he usually only needed to break one tackle and he was off to the races. The team had bunches of big gains at times because of that spread offense. It is more difficult to stack the box against a spread offense because it forces the defense to cover the entire field. However if they do still stack the box then short passes and screens should give the defense fits.

I also think the Bills coaching staff is trying to keep the TE in most of the time to protect EJ, and also may be concerned with EJ being able to get the ball out in 3 seconds or under while making more then just a single read.

There is a clear disconnect between Big Ben and Todd Haley. The plays Haley is calling aren't working because the Steelers lost all pro center Pouncey, and the middle of that line is collapsing every play.

Even with Pouncy in there the Steelers (Big Ben) were having difficulty running Haleys offense. He does suck.

If Todd Haley's dad didn't work for the Steelers, he would be some chain smoking golf pro on some piece of crap course in Florida. The Steelers should have dumped him for Gailey. Gailey would have that offense is much better shape. And he would have a legit talent at QB for once.

Anybody who was praising EJ after game # 2 was dilusional

The final drive was bascially checkdowns, one questionable PI and a wide open SJ on blown coverage

The reason for dismay is EJ is 13-31 on passes greater than 10 yards

After years of Captain Checkdown and Ryan "can't throw to the sideline or post" Fitzpatrick its extremely discouraging to have another QB who looks unable to deliver on medioum to long passes

I totally agree.....but after reading the forums, I am going to stay patient with the rookie.....but I have to admit, I don't see why everyone seems so impressed with his "poise"

Anybody who was praising EJ after game # 2 was dilusional

The final drive was bascially checkdowns, one questionable PI and a wide open SJ on blown coverage

The reason for dismay is EJ is 13-31 on passes greater than 10 yards

After years of Captain Checkdown and Ryan "can't throw to the sideline or post" Fitzpatrick its extremely discouraging to have another QB who looks unable to deliver on medioum to long passes

Because there are several QBs in the league who can make a deep pass all day but when it comes down to crunch time, throws a pick or fumbles or can't get a 1st down. Romo, Dalton, Schaub, etc. It doesn't matter how he did it. He did it against one of the best defenses in the league. It is ridiculous to say the PI was questionable - did you even see it? it was blatant and SJ could have made the catch if it didn't happen. Who cares if there were checkdowns? There was less than 2 min and he needed to stop the clock for pete's sake. And if you think that was a blown coverage on the TD, you didn't look at the all-22. There is a reason SJ was open and it was because of how EJ looked off of his throw. C'mon man. Edited by YoloInTheBlo

- Pressure all day

- Running game is predictable

- EJ is in bad third downs all day

- Does Hacket have a CLUE of how to give his ROOKIE QB a safety valve....where where the FB passes to the flat

- Screens?

EJ Manuel did not play well today.....did people really think there were not going to be bumps in the road this season? He was sacked what.....7 times? I feel like Hackett had his nose in "The complete idiots guide to offense" and was running it chapter by chapter....since when is it a good idea to play power football with CJ Spiller.....where was the hot read for EJ?

And what is this moronic "but Geno played well so EJ should have done it to" Were the jets missing their top defensive backs like were? Were the jets missing their top safety like we were? Do you HONESTLY think McKelvin or Gilmore would have been burned all day like Justin Rogers was? Marcel Darius? We were decimated by injuries going into this game and just kept taking more as the game goes on.

Come on people get grip

I agree with most (not all) of what you said --- my thoughts -- it IS MORONIC to look at one game, especially game #3 of the rookie year of a QB and try and project forward to a full career and draw any concrete conclusions, so don't wave the RED flag based on that game and start calling for drafting another QB in 2014 --- having said that, what the Jets game told me about EJ, is you better at least wave a YELLOW flag --- while it was one game, it was ONE VERY BAD ONE --- his throws were off the mark, his "presence" in the pocket was weak, his decision making was awkward and his zip on the ball was not good --- most of all, he didn't display the confidence we saw in games 1 and 2 --- so, in the trajectory that will he this 16-game season, EJ regressed --- he was bad and he needs to rebound and get better --- or that yellow flag will soon turn red