ESPN - Marrone praises EJ Manuel

I looked through the first two pages but did not see this posted. Did anyone else see this?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9329742/doug-marrone-coach-buffalo-bills-praises-ej-manuel

"From my standpoint ... EJ Manuel has done better [as a rookie] than any of the other organizations I've been a part of," Marrone said after Friday's practice, via the team's official website.

I'm not knocking EJ, but from a rookie NFL standpoint its not like Marrone has a whole lot to use as comparison.

Can you provide the history of Marrone's NFL tenure and the rookie QBs that have been on teams he was coaching and played with?

Can you provide the history of Marrone's NFL tenure and the rookie QBs that have been on teams he was coaching and played with?

I posted this in the other thread, but it relates to your question:

Bad quote by the writer. First, the writer says, "ahead of any rookie quarterback I've seen", but then the quote he gives is, “E.J. Manuel has done better [as a rookie] than any of the other organizations I’ve been a part of.

So he leaves off quarterback and adds in the word rookie. So was Marrone talking about any rookie? Well, actually it was neither.

What was actually said was, "...from my standpoint, EJ along with Jeff Tuel...have done better in my experience, I can't speak for anyone else, than any other young quarterback that we've brought in in any of the organizations I've been involved with within the NFL."

So for starters, the comment wasn't even specific to EJ, and while he was referring to quarterbacks, he didn't say "rookie", he just said "young".

I will also add that Marrone picked his wording very carefully when he said it. Of course it doesn't mean much, but I think it was at very least an honest comment, not just blowing smoke.

Considering Marrone's demeanor at Syracuse, I don't think he is one to throw around complements lightly.

Marronne comes from the Parcells tree and you are not going to get much useful stuff from him or his coaching staff.