The 2nd Annual: Our opinions of this draft, pick by pick.

Once again, I rarely start threads, but I like this approach to evaluating our drafts. People like to toss out letter grades, but I find these are usually based on one or two picks that they love/hate. I'm interested in your opinions, pick by pick.

1. E.J. Manuel - My take on EJ was interesting prior to the draft. I started low on him because I had heard "inconsistency" was an issue. I then became very high on him after watching footage, eventually placing him at the top of my list. In the ten days prior to the draft, I moved Barkley ahead because of his (perceived) NFL readiness. There is no doubt that as far as physical ability, no one comes close to EJ in this draft, and that goes for Geno as well. He is also one of the few prospects that can legitimately impress you with his his interviews, though they're not usually indicative of on field performance. Also, his bad games aren't as atrocious as some would leave you to believe. His good games are spectacular. That being said, my feelings boil down to this: He has a good head on his shoulders and is a legitimate physical specimen. If he pans out, he has the potential to "take us to the dance" as Buddy put it. If you're going to gamble on a QB, this is a smart gamble. It's impossible not to like him as a person. Maybe I've already had too much kool-aid, but I like his odds to succeed. I like the pick a lot.

2a. Robert Woods - Would have loved to take Ertz here, but he wasn't on the board. As such, this was the perfect pick. Does anyone not love this pick? He is one of the few receivers in the past few years who I think could start and produce immediately. That's not the case for the vast majority of receivers in my opinion.

2b. Kiko Alonso - When they announced it, I wasn't sure who it was. Within 10 seconds of watching some footage, you better believe I remembered who he was. You cannot have watched the PAC12 (I'm a Stanford fan) and not seen him stand out when Oregon played. He's a beast and another day 1 starter in my opinion. I honestly expect him to become a star.

3. Marquise Goodwin - As I expect is the case for many people, this was the first pick that left me wanting. At this point in the draft, we appeared to be going down our needs list, and many thought a TE, CB, or OG was the direction to go. That being said, I'm not necessarily "upset" with the pick. World class speed and I hope he can produce. What sticks out to me is my general ambivalence about this pick. It would be great if he works out, and I had several friends from Texas text their congratulations at our selection, but I can't say I'm expecting a ton of production in the near future. He does have the "high ceiling" factor though.

4. Duke Williams - Like the attitude, and I watch a bit of the Wolfpack so I wasn't as in the dark as many. I hope he keeps cool (to a degree) at the next level. I wouldn't want flags for "vicious" tackling in this new NFL. At this point I was thinking of another position, but Safety was a reasonable choice. I expect he will eventually compete for a good amount of playing time, and has the potential to eventually challenge for a starting role. The experts on TV appeared pleased with this choice, though they're often wildly inaccurate so this really has no relevance.

5. Jonathan Meeks - I predict (unless you hate EJ as a prospect) that this is just about everyone's least favorite selection. It is mine as well. Was he in a scheme that hid his talents? Sure, I'll buy it. Hell, he might turn out to be a good player. But I couldn't help feeling like we reached, and that we should have gone for a CB or OG. I'm big on OLines though.

6. Dustin Hopkins - I actually called this pick about 30 minutes before to my girlfriend. I said "I wonder if we'll take Hopkins from FSU. I hope we do." She of course had no idea who or what I was talking about, but it happened. I think this is a fabulous pick, and he's the best kicking prospect out there. While Lindell seems like a good guy, everyone knows his leg (which was never a cannon) is diminishing, or at the very least he didn't have the last regime's total confidence. Hopkins has the potential to make us as confident in our kicking as we were with Christie. I see him starting immediately.

7. Chris Gragg - It's the 7th round. I'd love to get excited about this pick, and their are real reasons to do so, but I am going to try to stay more reasonable here. I like that we took a TE, especially one that would have gone about 4 rounds earlier if he had not had an injury, but we all have our late round "guy" that we'd like to see the Bills take. Chase Thomas or a big bruiser of an OG would have made me (probably unreasonably) happy, but I have no problem with this pick.

Overall, it's pretty clear we got who we wanted (in the early rounds at least), and that the new FO thinks our starting LG is on our roster. I know FA is out there, but from what they've said and the complete ignoring of OLine in the draft, I think we'll see someone who was buried behind Levitre and Rinehardt end up starting on opening day.

Doug Marrone on the Offensive Line:

Q: As a former offensive lineman, are you disappointed you did not draft one?

DM: No, I actually like the group that we have here. I think that we will be able to add when this draft is over some free agents for that competition. I think that we have some guys here that really, that I am really looking forward to working with. I am actually planning on trying to start next week and get myself involved with it, Coach Morris and Kurt (Anderson), working with our offensive line.

EDIT: Well, shucks. Last year this got a better response. Now I'm embarrassed for putting the "2nd Annual" haha.

Edited by NickelCity

Once again, I rarely start threads, but I like this approach to evaluating our drafts. People like to toss out letter grades, but I find these are usually based on one or two picks that they love/hate. I'm interested in your opinions, pick by pick.

1. E.J. Manuel - My take on EJ was interesting prior to the draft. I started low on him because I had heard "inconsistency" was an issue. I then became very high on him after watching footage, eventually placing him at the top of my list. In the ten days prior to the draft, I moved Barkley ahead because of his (perceived) NFL readiness. There is no doubt that as far as physical ability, no one comes close to EJ in this draft, and that goes for Geno as well. He is also one of the few prospects that can legitimately impress you with his his interviews, though they're not usually indicative of on field performance. Also, his bad games aren't as atrocious as some would leave you to believe. His good games are spectacular. That being said, my feelings boil down to this: He has a good head on his shoulders and is a legitimate physical specimen. If he pans out, he has the potential to "take us to the dance" as Buddy put it. If you're going to gamble on a QB, this is a smart gamble. It's impossible not to like him as a person. Maybe I've already had too much kool-aid, but I like his odds to succeed. I like the pick a lot.

2a. Robert Woods - Would have loved to take Ertz here, but he wasn't on the board. As such, this was the perfect pick. Does anyone not love this pick? He is one of the few receivers in the past few years who I think could start and produce immediately. That's not the case for the vast majority of receivers in my opinion.

2b. Kiko Alonso - When they announced it, I wasn't sure who it was. Within 10 seconds of watching some footage, you better believe I remembered who he was. You cannot have watched the PAC12 (I'm a Stanford fan) and not seen him stand out when Oregon played. He's a beast and another day 1 starter in my opinion. I honestly expect him to become a star.

3. Marquise Goodwin - As I expect is the case for many people, this was the first pick that left me wanting. At this point in the draft, we appeared to be going down our needs list, and many thought a TE, CB, or OG was the direction to go. That being said, I'm not necessarily "upset" with the pick. World class speed and I hope he can produce. What sticks out to me is my general ambivalence about this pick. It would be great if he works out, and I had several friends from Texas text their congratulations at our selection, but I can't say I'm expecting a ton of production in the near future. He does have the "high ceiling" factor though.

4. Duke Williams - Like the attitude, and I watch a bit of the Wolfpack so I wasn't as in the dark as many. I hope he keeps cool (to a degree) at the next level. I wouldn't want flags for "vicious" tackling in this new NFL. At this point I was thinking of another position, but Safety was a reasonable choice. I expect he will eventually compete for a good amount of playing time, and has the potential to eventually challenge for a starting role. The experts on TV appeared pleased with this choice, though they're often wildly inaccurate so this really has no relevance.

5. Jonathan Meeks - I predict (unless you hate EJ as a prospect) that this is just about everyone's least favorite selection. It is mine as well. Was he in a scheme that hid his talents? Sure, I'll buy it. Hell, he might turn out to be a good player. But I couldn't help feeling like we reached, and that we should have gone for a CB or OG. I'm big on OLines though.

6. Dustin Hopkins - I actually called this pick about 30 minutes before to my girlfriend. I said "I wonder if we'll take Hopkins from FSU. I hope we do." She of course had no idea who or what I was talking about, but it happened. I think this is a fabulous pick, and he's the best kicking prospect out there. While Lindell seems like a good guy, everyone knows his leg (which was never a cannon) is diminishing, or at the very least he didn't have the last regime's total confidence. Hopkins has the potential to make us as confident in our kicking as we were with Christie. I see him starting immediately.

7. Chris Gragg - It's the 7th round. I'd love to get excited about this pick, and their are real reasons to do so, but I am going to try to stay more reasonable here. I like that we took a TE, especially one that would have gone about 4 rounds earlier if he had not had an injury, but we all have our late round "guy" that we'd like to see the Bills take. Chase Thomas or a big bruiser of an OG would have made me (probably unreasonably) happy, but I have no problem with this pick.

Overall, it's pretty clear we got who we wanted (in the early rounds at least), and that the new FO thinks our starting LG is on our roster. I know FA is out there, but from what they've said and the complete ignoring of OLine in the draft, I think we'll see someone who was buried behind Levitre and Rinehardt end up starting on opening day.

I agree with pretty much everything you wrote. I always thought EJ was the top of this QB class.

I really like this draft. I thought we did well and got quality players with a ton of big-time college football experience under their belts. We got big and fast at some positions of need, and we drafted versatile players with toughness. These guys are "football players." You know, guys that just love to play the game and play it fast, hard, and under control.

I agree with your assessment. I do question the Meeks selection, but we will have to see. I would love to see Goodwin and Graham lined up as wideouts on opposite sides and send them both on fly patterns, just to watch the safeties reaction.

LOVE THIS DRAFT!

EJ: I like his determination, attitude, "Presence". I like that Bruce Smith - one of, if not the, best DE's IN THE HISTORY of the NFL - is his "Godfather" figure. He should be able to give him some pointers on what a QB can do to frustrate the D-linemen. It should also help immediately forge a bond between Manuel and Buffalo. I like that he cried when he was drafted - I want the fact that Buffalo drafted this QB to mean that much to him.

As for his talent - it's obvious Marrone and Hackett want someone who can both run and throw deep. The throwing deep part is more obvious because of their attention to the speed WR's. However, what that does to a defense - lining up really fast WR's on the outside and having them run deep routes - IF your QB can get it to them deep it forces the safeties and CB's to play them safely. Now, add in Spiller and underneath routes with Stevie, Woods - AND a QB who can run the option... well, when you start thinking about the possibilities it really gets me excited. Great pick for those reasons.

Woods: on a WR needy team he steps in and starts - and performs well, I bet. I like that his play was hampered last year by an injury, that he'll be faster now, and that he can play through that stuff. Great attitude / personality, too.

Alonso: One of my favorite picks. I get just as excited thinking about the way Pettine is going to be able to disguise his defensive schemes this year. Think about how many people we have now on defense who can play multiple positions (Kiko, Lawson, Bradham, Mario, Dareus, Williams, Duke, A. Williams) it should help make it tough on opposing QB's - and, I love the nastiness he brings, too.

Goodwin: If he were small, skinny, and blazing fast I'd really be bothered by this pick. However, he's a tough kid for his size, which makes me think he's going to be used all over the place, and really be a dynamic weapon for us. Great pick.

The Duke: I like his toughness, speed, and versatility. They're thinking he might be able to line up at CB. That says a lot about his speed and size. I really like this pick.

Meeks: Hey - if they like him more than some of the prospects still on the board, then I'll trust them. Still, I like the toughness - you know, when you think about the Jets and Ravens Defenses that were so good, they wouldn't be like that without an element of TOUGHNESS - so, I love that part of it.

Hopkins - great move, really. People might say, "Kicker?" but, I say - Kickers are sometimes the most valuable player on a field - certainly at times they are. Think of Norwood. Or Vinietari. A good one is invaluable.

Gragg: Again - he is dynamic. We can line him up in different places. And, another common feature of the offensive players - SPEED. It's exciting to think about all the speed we'll have and how it is going to force defenses to play us.

UDFA: Some real players here - Kaufman, Pugh, ROGERS - unbelievable!, that one - and that CB from USC... this draft, I think, has done for us what the Dalton / Green draft did for Cinci. Prior to that they were on the bubble. After that draft they filled enough holes with the right talent to be COMPETITIVE, and now they're right in the thick of the race. I think this draft fills us out so that we can now compete with just about anyone, and with this staff, I think from here out we're going to be in the race, too!

I guess I'm one of the few who didn't drink the kool-aide.

Manuel probably had the most potential upside of all the QBs in a weak class. The rest of the QBs actually went about where they actually deserved to go afterall. I don't see Manuel being the starter for a while, he needs some serious grooming. Nice choice, just a big reach in the mid 1st, should have gone about the same time as Smith. Not a sure thing by any means. But it means we will not be selecting in next years QB sweepstakes, even if he ends being an epic fail, since he was selected with our 1st round pick.

Loved the Woods pick, the only one I actually liked.

I will give Alanso the benefit of a doubt, we will see soon.

I feel the same about Goodwin that I did about TJ. WTH! I still feel that way about TJ. He has proven me nothing to change my view about him. And Goodwin is even more raw and questionable a talent.

For the rest, well, they are later round picks and you just roll the dice and hope for a lucky roll anyway.

Love the ballsy choice of Da'Rick in UDFA more than any pick beside Woods. Either he pays off HUGE, or he crashes and burns.

Would have preferred to use the 7th on Matt Scott, I still think there is something about the guy.

Really would have taken a TE earlier in the draft, for the team to really be competitive they need a top quality TE. But since I have low expectations this year anyway, they better take a TE in the first two rounds next year.

Edited by simpleman

The Manuel pick seems to be drawing a lot of criticism, but I love it. I had him and Barkley on the top of my QB list, but I was leaning toward him because of his upside. I honestly don't think he has to come in and start right away, and I would be perfecty fine with that.

Love, love, love the Robert Woods pick!! I had him as my #2 WR behind Tavon Austin. I feel he's much more polished that Patterson, and will step in right away as the #2 WR. The only other WR I wanted this early was Hopkins, but he was gone. Again, tremendously pleased with this pick.

The Kiko Alonso pick is growing on me. Honestly, I was screaming for a TE here....either Travis Kelce or Gavin Escobar. If we were going LB with this pick, I liked Arthur Brown or Jamie Collins. After learning more about this pick, however, I see why they preferred this guy because of his scheme versatility. Great in coverage, stout against the run, and he's a playmaker. Really, he's a 3 down plug and play linebacker that can play any LB position on the field. Love that he has a "nastiness" about him too.

The Marquise Goodwin pick was the first pick that truly left me scratching my head. I remember hearing Buddy comment about how he liked him so much during the Senior Bowl, and you can't ignore his speed, but I just think this pick could have been spent better elsewhere. I hope he prove me wrong. With Kelce and Escobar gone, I was yelling for Jordan Reed here.

The more I read about Duke Williams, the more I like this pick. Seems like he will start right away, and is a well rounded safety prospect. Again, I like that nastiness that he will add to the defense. Honestly, I was hoping and praying for Barrett Jones here.

Jonathan Meeks? What can I say about this pick? We'll see what happens. I was hoping for Brandon Jenkins here or a CB.

I love the Dustin Hopkins pick. I actually called it before the pick was made. I really think it's time for an upgrade at kicker, and Hopkins was the #1 kicking prospect on most people's boards. I think people tend to undervalue kickers in the draft, but if you can get a really, really good one I think it is worth a 6th rounder. Let's hope Hopkins can be that guy.

I don't know what to say about TE Chris Gragg. It's a 7th round pick, so I don't think he has much of a chance to make the team. Who know's though, prior to injury this season, he had two really nice games in a row. Strictly a pass catching TE....not much of a blocker. I was hoping for OLB Chase Thomas here.

I guess I'm one of the few who didn't drink the kool-aide.

Manuel probably had the most potential upside of all the QBs in a weak class. The rest of the QBs actually went about where they actually deserved to go afterall. I don't see Manuel being the starter for a while, he needs some serious grooming. Nice choice, just a big reach in the mid 1st, should have gone about the same time as Smith. Not a sure thing by any means. But it means we will not be selecting in next years QB sweepstakes, even if he ends being an epic fail, since he was selected with our 1st round pick.

Loved the Woods pick, the only one I actually liked.

I will give Alanso the benefit of a doubt, we will see soon.

I feel the same about Goodwin that I did about TJ. WTH! I still feel that way about TJ. He has proven me nothing to change my view about him. And Goodwin is even more raw and questionable a talent.

For the rest, well, they are later round picks and you just roll the dice and hope for a lucky roll anyway.

Love the ballsy choice of Da'Rick in UDFA more than any pick beside Woods. Either he pays off HUGE, or he crashes and burns.

Would have preferred to use the 7th on Matt Scott, I still think there is something about the guy.

Really would have taken a TE earlier in the draft, for the team to really be competitive they need a top quality TE. But since I have low expectations this year anyway, they better take a TE in the first two rounds next year.

Signing Da'Rick isn't ballsy, as there is virtually no downside.

EJ: (B) I like the Manuel pick as he was my favorite QB for the Bills to draft. But that was only because none of them stood out, and if it was going to be a 50/50 chance he had the highest ceiling. I liked the comment by someone that if he hits it's a grandslam, the other guys like Barkley and Nassib are a homerun. But there is a lot to be worried about as he never really put it all together at FSU. He's a very smart guy but he may not be the equivalent football smart. A lot of serious football fans at FSU didn't like him much at all. I like the pick but I have severe reservations.

A caveat though is, we had the #8 pick in the draft, we got EJ, Kiko, and Gragg for it (with a slightly less pick in the third). So that was a fantastic pick, as of now at least.

WOODS: (A) Great pick. Just what we needed opposite Stevie. I watched him play a ton and he is very good. Faster than his 40. Really reliable. Great YAC. Gets open deep. Great kid. There is nothing not to like about this guy.

KIKO: (B- ) Looks like a player. Love his aggressiveness. An absolute maniac who was playing football at 100mph wearing bicycle shorts. People don't grade this pick as high and call it a reach without thinking about Pettine and what he wants out of a LB, which is exactly what Alonso is. Not sure he can play the middle though, and shed blocks, and I would like this a LOT more if they signed Dansby. I think Kiko is going to be very good in about three years as long as he doesn't knock his own head off while trying to knock someone else's.

GOODWIN (B+) I didn't like the pick at first but I didn't know a lot about him. The more I see the more I like. This grade went from a C+ to a B+ with the addition of Da'Rick because I now love the combo of steady Woods, crazy fast gadget guy with football skills, and the big fast tough scary dude over the middle. .

DUKE: (B+): We needed a safety. This was a B- until I heard from Nix that he can play CB and guard guys man to man. We'll wait and see how true that is in the NFL. Another perfect Pettine guy though that can play multiple defenses and positions and loves to hit. This is a system guy and should play a little as a rook.

MEEKS (D) I can somewhat see the need, I can somewhat see the talent, Pettine likes to play three safeties, I am just not thrilled with the guy or the pick.

HOPKINS © Didn't like the pick at first but I'm warming to it a little. If he beats out Lindell AND they use the money saved (real money not cap money which is marginal) for re-signing Byrd or signing a Dansby or Moore, etc, this grade goes to a B.

GRAGG (B) I like this guy or at least the idea of him. I am so sick of Mike Caussin Ryan Neufeld Derek Fine Derek Shouman on this team. A TE needs to be able to block great or catch great/have speed to split the defense. I'm curious to see how Marrone and hacket use him as a hybrid TE/HB/FB. He has some skills and some speed and some attitude. That said, very few 7th rounders make an impact so I like the idea of him more than I expect serious results.

DA'RICK (A+) Just an awesome pick-up for this team, especially as a triumvirate of Woods/Goodwin/Rogers. He's the kind of size and talent and attitude we need. I don't expect an implosion as he doesn't seem like a total dick but we don't know that yet. He has a rep for taking plays off, which is not a good sign. Marrone seems like someone who won't put up with that.

Edited by Kelly the Dog