OK so serious question....do we now have a qb that can get TJ Graham t

Kolb's last 22 games (3 seasons):

59.3 comp. %; 4,321yds (6.81avg); 24TD; 18INT; 14 fumbles; QBR: 36.0 (AVG)

Fitz last season (16 games):

60.6 comp. %; 3,400yds (6.73avg); 24TD; 16INT; 8 fumbles QBR: 45.8 (his lowest for us out of the 3 years as f/t starter)

Kolb put up pretty pedestrian #'s considering he was throwing to some of the better WR's in the game in Philly and Arizona. But ya, we got TJ Graham now who was obviously handicapped by Fitz :rolleyes: ! LMFAO. Take your blinders off man.

It's clearly Fitz's fault he wasn't sacked enough - the bastard got rid of the ball too soon.

Poor Kolb however, his O-lines always blew nuts. His ****ty receivers - Fitzgerald, Maclin, DJax, Cooper, etc just couldn't get open quickly enough for Kolb.

Kolb should be worlds better now that he has TJ Graham to throw to.

Im not making a statement Bob Im asking a question......

But how do you account for a 5-6% sack rate on the Philly offense, and then immediately a 12-13% sack rate on the Cards? The Cards really put him in a bad offense for his skills. He's a quick decision WCO kind of guy.

http://www.pro-footb.../K/KolbKe00.htm

As Caplan and others have surmised, Kolb will probably be a better fit in Marrone's offense than he was in Whisenhunt's and I said that in a different thread.

I believe he'll have a better chance to succeed in Buffalo both because of scheme and because of talent.

But one still has to acknowledge concern for the rate at which he was sacked in Arizona and his possible culpability in that.

Wait, so Kolb struggled to get LARRY FITZGERALD the ball, but we think he's going to get the amazing TJ Graham the ball? As much as people want to blame Fitz for everything, there were a lot of balls thrown to TJ last year both deep and short that he SHOULD have caught. Now I know it was only his first year, but he really struggled with the basics of catching for the ball and going up for the ball. Of particular concern was his lack of physical ability to beat out a WR, and a McKelvin like deficiency in "going up and getting it"...Usually those are instinctual things that can't be taught or coached. I'm less worried about who's throwing to TJ, than I am about TJ actually being able to catch the balls that are thrown to him.

Of equal or more importance, Kolb is not the automatic unquestioned starter. You could argue that TJax has been the more successful starter, and has the most upside (both were 2nd round picks). I expect there to be a competition, and there is likely to be a rookie in the mix as well. Kolb is a stop gap to get us to a REAL QB (hopefully), personally I'm not very excited about him.

The sacks or lack there of is it becaise of better oline play or a qb that would not get rid of it. Fitz got rid of it and threw INTs.

A combination of both. If you watch Kolb, he clearly hold's onto the ball too long...and Fitz is one of the quickest to get rid of it...I think the Bills O-line was better than AZ's, although they had their own struggles in pass protection (RT).

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I think the answer is yes, provided that the OL holds up.

It won't. It was already pretty bad at pass protection past a couple seconds, it got worse by letting Levitre go. We're stuck with quick throws, for the most part.

As Caplan and others have surmised, Kolb will probably be a better fit in Marrone's offense than he was in Whisenhunt's and I said that in a different thread.

I believe he'll have a better chance to succeed in Buffalo both because of scheme and because of talent.

But one still has to acknowledge concern for the rate at which he was sacked in Arizona and his possible culpability in that.

Obviously Whisenhunt's scheme was awful, and didn't work for AZ, so I'll give Marrone the benefit of the doubt and say he should have a better scheme. I think it's a bit optimistic to say we have more talent though. We still have 2 holes on the o-line (LG, RT) and only 1 legitimate WR (good, but not as good as Fitzgerald), and no legitimate healthy TE's.

AZ's RB's were actually pretty good when healthy, but we do probably have the edge there.

The cupboard is still pretty bare here at the moment though...

my 2 cents, or 3 or 4...

atm, our o-line is not very good either, so he better get rid of it quick or he'll be sacked, and hurt, and out, like he has been the last 3 years. Fitz got rid of the ball quick and still took some hits. and now they are without their best player, esp. in pass protection. i wouldn't count on a lot of deep passes, even if his arm is marginally better than Fitz's.

also, Philly didn't get rid of Kolb because of Vick's 100 million dollar deal, they gave him that after struggled and got knocked out of his starting job. then they traded.. then eventually gave Vick the money later.

i don't mind this signing, as it compares to what Seattle did last year. i'm thinking it means they plan to draft someone who isn't likely to start right away. Perhaps a high-upside guy like EJ Manuel, who has the tools but needs work. also hoping maybe just having another recognizable QB name will help if they are targeting another FA... maybe Brandon Moore or something.

Brainiac is right. EJ Manuel has the most upside with a pistol offense and having plyed several years in a pro style offense. With Spiller, it should work well. Kolb can make much better throws deep to WR than Fitz. fitz had guys wide open so many times at 15+ yds and couldn't do it with accuracy. Pick up Manuel at 8 or take your chances he's still there in the second round.

Bottom line is we rebuilding AGAIN!

If I were Ralph, I'd say what the hell is the front office doing? But after 13 years, who knows. This was our biggest problem. We should have given control to Polian years ago and we would have continued to compete. Ralph blew it and he's been payign for it for almost two decades. And so have we!