People are getting the path to the QB all twisted

"Should we draft a QB in the first two rounds"

"Should we pick up a veteran QB"

We should do BOTH of those things.......Flynn or Kolb......get one of them......let TJ, Flynn or Kolb, and a rookie QB all compete for the spot

We have sucked so bad for so long at the QB postion that we dont know what it feels like to have competition for the starting spot....much less having a legit backup QB (which we need to)

Bring in as many "can play in the NFL" QBs as we can....and let them sort it out themselves with thier play

We should do BOTH of those things.......Flynn or Kolb......get one of them......let TJ, Flynn or Kolb, and a rookie QB all compete for the spot

We have sucked so bad for so long at the QB postion that we dont know what it feels like to have competition for the starting spot....much less having a legit backup QB (which we need to)

Bring in as many "can play in the NFL" QBs as we can....and let them sort it out themselves with thier play

In other words, keep flingin s#it at the wall and wait to see which one sticks.

It also needs to be said that they need to move on once a guy has proven he isn't "It". JP, Trent, Fitz all lasted way too long... They should have been drafting QBs early the past 3 seasons. That is a giant failure of Buddy Nix.

It also needs to be said that they need to move on once a guy has proven he isn't "It". JP, Trent, Fitz all lasted way too long... They should have been drafting QBs early the past 3 seasons. That is a giant failure of Buddy Nix.

Absolutely correct, best to cut your losses quickly.

I agree with this. It's one thing to make the mistake of drafting/signing the wrong player in the first place. But if a guy doesn't look like the answer immediately (especially at quarterback), it certainly can't hurt adding some competition to the mix.

To be honest, I don't see what Flynn/Kolb give you that Jackson doesn't. A middling, marginal starter who's best kept a stop-gap for a rookie.

I do agree, however, that QB should remain a priority in every way until a franchise guy becomes established.

I think Losman was dumped at the right time. They needed to give him a fair shot.

Starting Trent in 2010 was foolishness, but that's to be expected when you hire Chan Gailey with his history of QB decisions. And you can probably blame Gailey for thinking Thigpen was worthy of anything beyond Arena League 2.

The Fitz contract was a mistake. Extending him was understandable, but the timing was simply a bad move.

Do you not find it strange that they would cut Fitz then replace him with a Kolb, a Jackson or even a Flynn? I just don't see how any of them are an improvement. And with all the QBs in the draft generally regarded as mediocre, I also don't see how the Bills improve QB play one single whit in '13. 0-16, and the number one pick overall in '14.

Do you not find it strange that they would cut Fitz then replace him with a Kolb, a Jackson or even a Flynn? I just don't see how any of them are an improvement. And with all the QBs in the draft generally regarded as mediocre, I also don't see how the Bills improve QB play one single whit in '13. 0-16, and the number one pick overall in '14.

Bills fans are unbelievable.

We're basically returning the same team, minus an above-average LG and a few easily replaceable role players (Nelson, Jones) and past-their prime vets (Wilson, Barnett, Fitz), and that's going to make us 6 games worse, tied for the all-time worst team in the history of the NFL?

Not buying it.

They want another veteran QB on the roster to add to the mix during training camp but at a certain price. They wanted it to be Fitz but he was not comfortable with the setup and decided it was time to move on. Thus, they have to look elsewhere to find this other guy. So, I don't find any of this strange. I'd be OK with them drafting two, ala the Redskins. Nassib and Scott for instance.

When the Seahawks went to camp with Wilson, Jackson and Flynn I doubt that they had any idea which of the three, if any, would take control of the position.

Buddy has missed on a few picks, but it is a mistake to lay any QB draft mistakes at his feet at this point. GM's take the feedback from the coaching staff at the end of each season to evaluate areas of strength and weakness on the team that they want to address, they prioritize that list, then set about evaluating free agents and then BPA draft prospects that they feel meet those needs. It is not exactly drafting for need, but neither is it an exercise of going into the draft and picking random quality players at positions where the coaching staff feels the bench is already deep.

Gailey trusted Fitz, they bankrolled him and found an adequate veteran backup in Thigpen. I think it is obvious that Buddy and the scout team was never tasked with the priority of finding a QB via the draft to replace Fitz till after last season when Gailey's Fitz experiment fell flat and the flaws in Fitz game proved they could not be addressed by a highly respected QB coach or by Chan either. Chan has a history of getting the most out of bad QB's and early on it looked like he had performed a similar miracle with Fitz...hence the $$$ and the lack of addressing the position in the draft.

The only QB that Buddy took a flyer on since being with the Bills organization was Levi Brown in the 7th round of the 2010 draft and then they released him after the 2010 season - he is now the QB for the Saskatchewan Roughriders. Give him and the scouting group a chance folks... let's let them screw up first before we light the torches and sharpen the pitchforks.

Buddy has missed on a few picks, but it is a mistake to lay any QB draft mistakes at his feet at this point. GM's take the feedback from the coaching staff at the end of each season to evaluate areas of strength and weakness on the team that they want to address, they prioritize that list, then set about evaluating free agents and then BPA draft prospects that they feel meet those needs. It is not exactly drafting for need, but neither is it an exercise of going into the draft and picking random quality players at positions where the coaching staff feels the bench is already deep.

Gailey trusted Fitz, they bankrolled him and found an adequate veteran backup in Thigpen. I think it is obvious that Buddy and the scout team was never tasked with the priority of finding a QB via the draft to replace Fitz till after last season when Gailey's Fitz experiment fell flat and the flaws in Fitz game proved they could not be addressed by a highly respected QB coach or by Chan either. Chan has a history of getting the most out of bad QB's and early on it looked like he had performed a similar miracle with Fitz...hence the $$$ and the lack of addressing the position in the draft.

The only QB that Buddy took a flyer on since being with the Bills organization was Levi Brown in the 7th round of the 2010 draft and then they released him after the 2010 season - he is now the QB for the Saskatchewan Roughriders. Give him and the scouting group a chance folks... let's let them screw up first before we light the torches and sharpen the pitchforks.

If he was taking advice from Gailey that is his own fault (he was a terrible Nix-hire anyway).. Nix is the architect of this team and the responsibility absolutely lies at his feet. Yes Chan had some say but Nix is the final decision maker...

I'm tired of people defending Nix, he hasn't taken this organization forward at all..

Many assume Fitz was a Gailey thing rather than a Nix thing. Why is that?

The GM's job is to manage the roster. The coach's job is to win with that roster. Obviously any decent tandem will collaborate, but ultimately, these are the tasks that each is responsible for.

Publically, each man fully supported Fitz at every turn. Gailey did this more often, but Head Coaches are required to face the media several times a week.

It's not fully the fault of either one, after all, it's a collaboration. But to say Nix was never "tasked" to find a quarterback is to completely absolve him of his own job...based on what?

We're basically returning the same team, minus an above-average LG and a few easily replaceable role players (Nelson, Jones) and past-their prime vets (Wilson, Barnett, Fitz), and that's going to make us 6 games worse, tied for the all-time worst team in the history of the NFL?

Let's see: they replaced the entire coaching staff, they cut the starting and back-up QBs, lost the starting and back-up guards, cut two of the three starting WRs, released the starting MLB, CB, had Merriman and Kelsay retire, and the starting TE is far from certain to return in time for the season. And you call the 2013 team "basically...the same team?"

The guys who are gone might have been mediocre to lousy, but their replacements are...well, so far there aren't any replacements as the Bills seem to be snoring through free agency and, I guess, hoping to fill all those slots from the draft. Except, oh yeah, they only have six picks. So I'll stick with my assumption that they are tanking the season and that anything other than 0-16 will be a pleasant surprise.

Let's see: they replaced the entire coaching staff, they cut the starting and back-up QBs, lost the starting and back-up guards, cut two of the three starting WRs, released the starting MLB, CB, had Merriman and Kelsay retire, and the starting TE is far from certain to return in time for the season. And you call the 2013 team "basically...the same team?"

The guys who are gone might have been mediocre to lousy, but their replacements are...well, so far there aren't any replacements as the Bills seem to be snoring through free agency and, I guess, hoping to fill all those slots from the draft. Except, oh yeah, they only have six picks. So I'll stick with my assumption that they are tanking the season and that anything other than 0-16 will be a pleasant surprise.

- Clearly, they are going to draft a QB, and you have to count Jackson as a new acquisition, since he was never active last year, so that addresses your QB loss with 1 draft pick

- There are still starting OGs on the market, and I'd suspect they'll pick one up before too long...guys like Moore, Slausen, Caldwell, Louis, etc. will fill in just fine, and don't forget that Zebrie Sanders is going to come back and add depth to the OL as well

- WR is a concern, I agree with that, but remember that the team didn't have either Nelson or Jones for much of last year as well, so it's not as if it's going to be much different, and they are going to bring in more bodies through the draft

- They didn't release a starting CB; Terrence McGee started zero games last year, and in fact played in only a few, and was awful; I can't see that as a significant loss

- I agree with you at DE, they need to add some depth behind Mario and Anderson. I suspect Gilbert makes the team as a reserve end, but this one position has me concerned. I wouldn't at all be opposed to drafting a guy like D. Jordan, B. Mingo, Z. Ansah etc. in the first round

- They're bringing in Fred Davis today, so the TE position could arguably be stronger than it was last year if he signs

I'm not seeing the 6-game dropoff...

Flynn, Kolb, Jackson, Fitz, Young, Thigpen, Trent....this is what they think theu have been doing the past 3 seasons. How has it worked out?

No, I do not. See above. This is how Buddy works.

The problem with a competition between a veteran and a rookie QB is that the former will almost always win. What the Bills should not do is to draft a rookie QB, throw him in as a starter immediately, give him a few games to look lousy, and then yank the rug out from underneath him by putting a veteran QB in his place.

(For those who would draw comparisons with Losman--that's not what happened with him. Losman was not made a starter until his second year in the league; after having been given his rookie year to learn the offense.)

To continue: I like the way the Bengals handled the early years of Carson Palmer's career. Palmer was told that he would be the third string QB his rookie year, regardless of how well or badly he played. Early in his rookie season, people who saw him in practice thought he looked like a 3rd string QB. But as the season went on, he quietly improved; to the point that by the end of the year he looked good. Really good. Going into his second year, the Bengals announced that Carson Palmer would be the starter; Jon Kitna the backup. No QB competition. Instead there was a concrete plan; the basis of which was their faith in Palmer's potential as a QB. That faith turned out to be fully justified, at least until injuries limited what Palmer could do.

The Bills need a similarly disciplined plan. They should not bring in a young guy while simultaneously bringing in an aging veteran to undermine the young guy.