Is it just me....?

sirebors

Concerning Jay Skurski's article in the Buffalo News today titled "Bills' Whaley part of fact-finding mission, " Mr. Whaley is quoted as saying "I always tell people my job is to make Buddy's job as easy as possible. I want to go out there - and for lack of a better term - be the foot soldier to track down all the information. I need to take all the information out there, funnel it to the best three or four choices and give Buddy the options to make that choice. It's been the same since I got here. You got to go in there with eight guys that you want and you say 'heck yeah, I'd love to have that guy at 8.' So you're happy no matter what happens in the draft. Everybody says, well is draft day all crazy and stuff? If you set your board right and you're comfortable with it, you just sit back and let the names peel off. Then you say 'well out of those eight guys, that's the guy left.' That's what we want."

I don't know if I'm reading too much into these statements, but to me it seems like a very passive way to approach the draft. He's more or less saying we find eight guys we like, then sit back and wait and then take whoever is left over. I don't want that in our draft room. I don't want our scouts and GM "sitting back." I want them actively monitoring what's going on, making calls, discussing options, and doing anything and everything to improve their draft any way they can. What it sounds like to me is that in no way whatsoever will they attempt to move up or down in the draft. It sounds like they are completely locked into pick 8 no matter what, unless maybe someone approaches them. And "It's been the same since I got here.". I just can't see this happening in the New England draft room. I can not see Bill Belichick just sitting there and peeling names off.

Am I reading too much into this, an unprepared, off the cuff statement? Or have and will the Bills just let the chips fall where they may? Are they completely locked into pick eight? And will they just passively sit back as the draft progresses waiting for their turn to "peel a name off the board?"

Edited by sirebors

Concerning Jay Skurski's article in the Buffalo News today titled "Bills' Whaley part of fact-finding missions, " Mr. Whaley is quoted as saying "I always tell people my job is to make Buddy's job assistance easy as possible. I want to go out there - and for lack of a better term - betthe foot soldier to track down all the information. I need to take all the information out there, funnel it to the best three or four choices and give Buddy the options to make that choice. It's been the same since I got here. You got to go in there with eight guys that you want and you say 'heck yeah, I'd love to have that guy at 8.' So you're happy no matter what happens in the draft. Everybody says, well is draft day all crazy and stuff? If you set your board right and you're comfortable with it, you just sit back and let the names peel off. Then you say 'well out of those eight guys, that's the guy left.' That's what we want."

I don't know if I'm reading too much into these statements, but to me it seems like a very passive way to approach the draft. He's more or less saying we find eight guys we like, then sit back and wait and then take whoever is left over. I don't want that in our draft room. I don't want our scouts and GM "sitting back." I want them actively monitoring what's going on, making calls, discussing options, and doing anything and everything to improve their draft any way they can. What it sounds like to me is that in no way whatsoever will they attempt to move up or down in the draft. It sounds like they are completely locked into pick 8 no matter what, unless maybe someone approaches them. And "It's been the same since I got here.". I just can't see this happening in the New England draft room. I can not see Bill Belichick just sitting there and peeling names off.

Am I reading too much into this, an unprepared, off the cuff statement? Or have and will the Bills just let the chips fall where they may? Are they completely locked into pick eight? And will they just passively sit back as the draft progresses waiting for their turn to "peel a name off the board?"

you have it exactly right. Nix has said that trading picks is something that he avoids, because then you are chasing players and you will probably give too much up.

I'm probably wrong, but I think the trade to get T.J. Graham is the only trade he has done on draft day. And he only gave up a 7th.

Well i have found (personal opinion) that the Bills brass have a different definition for Exhaustive & thorough explanation per their coaching search than i do.

If they do there predraft work like they did their coaching interviews it's no wonder we are where we are.

I'm sure they are doing what they feel needs doing as far as preparation for the draft & have most of their players on the board & i hope we get another draft like our last one & we will have some good players to go along with what we already have.

I just hope the coaching staff can maximize their talent !!!

Concerning Jay Skurski's article in the Buffalo News today titled "Bills' Whaley part of fact-finding mission, " Mr. Whaley is quoted as saying "I always tell people my job is to make Buddy's job as easy as possible. I want to go out there - and for lack of a better term - be the foot soldier to track down all the information. I need to take all the information out there, funnel it to the best three or four choices and give Buddy the options to make that choice. It's been the same since I got here. You got to go in there with eight guys that you want and you say 'heck yeah, I'd love to have that guy at 8.' So you're happy no matter what happens in the draft. Everybody says, well is draft day all crazy and stuff? If you set your board right and you're comfortable with it, you just sit back and let the names peel off. Then you say 'well out of those eight guys, that's the guy left.' That's what we want."

No, it's not you, it's them.

I think it really shows how poorly we have drafted since they have been here.

It also concerns me that Whaley has been "funneling" these guys into Nix, can he not see good prospects either. There are so many good players that they have passed over, it makes me think that the whole scouting department including Nix and Whaley need to go.

We have had some bad coaching here but bottom line is without great players we will never be successful.

you have it exactly right. Nix has said that trading picks is something that he avoids, because then you are chasing players and you will probably give too much up.

I'm probably wrong, but I think the trade to get T.J. Graham is the only trade he has done on draft day. And he only gave up a 7th.

and they gave up to much for him.

Don't forget the wasted pick for TJ and the three other picks that they cut from last years draft before the season started.

apparently he doesn't value his picks that much if he throws them away for absolutely nothing.

Well i have found (personal opinion) that the Bills brass have a different definition for Exhaustive & thorough explanation per their coaching search than i do.

If they do there predraft work like they did their coaching interviews it's no wonder we are where we are.

I'm sure they are doing what they feel needs doing as far as preparation for the draft & have most of their players on the board & i hope we get another draft like our last one & we will have some good players to go along with what we already have.

I just hope the coaching staff can maximize their talent !!!

need more than two picks to have a good draft, last years draft was terrible minus Gilmore and Glenn.

It isn't the lack of moving up or down in the draft that has hurt the Bills over the years. It's the poor decision making that's made when they finally do make a selection that has prevented is from winning. Staying pat has actually put us in a great position to succeed.

I would argue Bradham was a good pick too.

And Ron Brooks. The kid got hurt as preseason ended. He looked great in preseason. I think he can be a good #2 with the outside chance he turns into a good number 1.

need more than two picks to have a good draft, last years draft was terrible minus Gilmore and Glenn.

You say this'd few hours after saying that Bradham will be our best Coverage LB next year. A 4th round pick turning into a teams starting nickel LB is pretty good to me. Either that or you don't think bradham is very good and you were just spewing garbage to try and prove a point. Hmmmmmmm

Gonna get the papers...get the papers.

Reporter: Doug, what is your strategy going into the draft?

Doug: Well, we like five guys a lot.

Reporter: You're picking 8th -- what if all of those guys are gone when it's your turn?

Doug: We're fu++ked.

Edited by eball

Gonna get the papers...get the papers.

Reporter: Doug, what is your strategy going into the draft?

Doug: Well, we like five guys a lot.

Reporter: You're picking 8th -- what if all of those guys are gone when it's your turn?

Doug: We're fu++ked.

priceless

No, it's not you, it's them.

I think it really shows how poorly we have drafted since they have been here.

It also concerns me that Whaley has been "funneling" these guys into Nix, can he not see good prospects either. There are so many good players that they have passed over, it makes me think that the whole scouting department including Nix and Whaley need to go.

We have had some bad coaching here but bottom line is without great players we will never be successful.

and they gave up to much for him.

Don't forget the wasted pick for TJ and the three other picks that they cut from last years draft before the season started.

apparently he doesn't value his picks that much if he throws them away for absolutely nothing.

Not only that, but Glenn is more RT, or he would be an all pro guard as he is better at taking on foes straight ahead rather then running the arc.

I yearn for the days of brains and balls with Bill Polian / John Butler. All the Bills have had for the last 12 years are boobs and fools. As another poster once stated a blindfolded monkey throwing darts at the big board could have done better at drafting then the Bills, I concur!

I have no idea why the highly paid morons doing the scouting / drafting for the Bills have failed to identify not only the proper talent, but also the biggest positions of need. Three plus years to find a pass rusher, and they still needed to pay 100 mill to a free agent DE because they failed to find a top pass rusher in the draft. Three years to find a LT and they draft a man best suited to play guard and place him at LT. Trade away a #1 WR and then draft a 5th rounder in the 3rd round, as if that will make him a better player.

The Bills are STILL desperate for LBers, a franchise QB, a #1 top WR, a #1 top TE. O line help. About the only position this staff can hit a home run with is at RB.Going on two decades now without a franchise QB, 4 years on a top LT, 2 years on a top WR, 8 years for a solid LBer corps.

30+ CB's the last 20 years and only 4 QB's drafted

I think it was when Chuck Knox was hired and he immediately turned over the BIlls scouting staff and hired Norm Pollom. The man was probably responsible for finding Polain and Butler for the Bills. One day the Bills will hire someone as GM who knows WTH he is doing.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/05/13/polians-top-10-player-moves/

Edited by FeartheLosing

God I love TSW in February.

Anyone who gets anything out of that besides "We do our homework to be as prepared as possible on draft day" is just looking for things to complain about.

Chill out, watch some hockey. It's a looooong offseason.