"The Comeback" BIlls-Oilers, January 3, 1993 20 Year Anniversa

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gonna.

Me to.

I was at home watching the game (yes, someone that admits they weren't at the stadium). I kept turning the TV off and on towards the end of the first half. After the score to make it 35-3, I turned it off again, thinking I wouldn't turn it back on again. Sure enough, being a Bills fan, I turned it back on about 5 minutes later and never turned it off again. My only disappointment with the broadcast? They mentioned the Bills fans climbing the fences to get back in during the second half, but never showed a shot of it on TV. I would have loved to see if it was a few here or there, or was it like a wave of hundreds.

I was in Alaska in the Army watching at home. What a great game. A couple of things that struck me watching it again. One was the depth of that roster. They did the whole thing with Kelly, Thurman and Bennet on the bench. They had so many playmakers on both sides of the ball it was amazing. What a talented group of players that was.

Actually what I remember most is how jaded Bills fans became after 2 SB losses. Seems unthinkable now but we were just awful. Some actually wanted to bench Jim Kelly in favor of Frank Reich, and get rid of "losers" like TT, Andre and Bruce. I know it's hard for the youngins to believe that but Bills fans have always been cynical...always.

PTR

Agreed us fans don't realize what we have. Grass is always greener somewhere else.

It sure has been fun reliving this game. I've been to hundreds of sporting events over the years but none better than this one. Watching drunk fans try to scale the fencing once the comeback started to unfold is a great memory. I had an opportunity to talk to a few Oilers in preparing my story for the NYT and this is still a bitter pill for them, even 20 years later. Chris Dishman told me that w/o the Beebe play The Comeback never would have happened. But I looked back to the record and noticed that it was a first down play at the Houston 38. Who is to say that if that call was reversed that they still wouldn't have scored on that drive? The Bills were unstoppable in the 2nd half.

The other thing I noticed in looking at the play by play is how often Houston was throwing the ball in the 2nd half. The Henry Jones INT, for example, came on 1st down at their own 15 yard line. Easy to Monday morning Qb 20 yrs later, but they (obviously) should have been trying to eat more clock! But the run and shoot offense wasn't about TOP.

The other thing I noticed in looking at the play by play is how often Houston was throwing the ball in the 2nd half.

Bingo! The Bills actually had more running plays and they were the team that was trailing! Further proof that without Tom Coughlin to keep him in line, Kevin Gilbride was always too pass happy, and that particular offense which didn't even have a tight end on the roster was not built to protect a lead.

Lived in CT then and watched it at our Bills Backers bar. At the half , I said we should interfere on every pass play, as Houston would get less yards. Remember NBC at the half talking about who Houston would be playing the next week. Boomer Esiason said "Don't count out Frank, he had the greatest comeback ever in college ball when he subbed for me." They laughed at him. On the post-game show, they said "Boomer, we will never doubt you again."

People forget Reich had the greatest comeback ever in college too. I think he still has that record too.

Edited by Wacka

Many fans think our 4 appearances in back to back Super bowls were the crowning achievement of the team. I see this comeback win as even more significant.. It is a metaphor what the team, and area, are capable of.

What a memory! Still remember hanging with my Bills Backers buds in Atlanta and watching the amazing comeback. Had to be 200+ at the bar for the game and only ten or so of us stuck it out until the end. Still have the recording of us being interviewed on the local news...not a pretty site, but we were sure happy campers!!!

I was at home listening to Van Miller on the radio with my Mom. She got so upset at the way they were playing after they returned the interception for a TD to make it 35-3 she said she was done listening and for me to go upstairs and listen. She asked me why was I even bothering. I told her they could still come back and win. She was like yeah right. Every big play I yelled downstairs. Finally when the Bills got the ball back at 35-24 she came upstairs and we listened to the rest of the game together.

I remember watching it on TV in my parents' room with my brother. We were youngins at the time. My dad was a former college football player, and he didn't like watching the NFL. We had to watch the game upstairs in my parents' bedroom. The first half was so bad that we started horsing around, WWF wrestling. All of a sudden, the Bills started to come back in the second half, so we started paying attention to the game. I have never experienced any greater joy from watching a Bills football game. I wish I could go back to those days.

Just watched the vids again. Almost feel sorry for the Oilers. The refs just abused them.

PTR

It was almost divine intervention. An almost impossible series of events happened to conspire against them...blown coverages, passes going right through defenders hands into our receivers, Beebe stepping out of bounds unseen by the ref, a fluke squib kick attempt by Houston that Del Greco shanked as a gust of wind shifted the ball just as he approached the tee the Bills recover at midfield only because Maddox clawed the ball from underneath a Houston players stomach as he lay on top of it, a recovery of an onside kick by Christie, rain and wind that started at precisely the time Houston was attempting a FG that caused the ball to slip through the holders hands, etc, etc...

It was like an avalanche that just couldn't be stopped once it was put in motion...

Edited by matter2003

The other thing I noticed in looking at the play by play is how often Houston was throwing the ball in the 2nd half.

Bingo! The Bills actually had more running plays and they were the team that was trailing! Further proof that without Tom Coughlin to keep him in line, Kevin Gilbride was always too pass happy, and that particular offense which didn't even have a tight end on the roster was not built to protect a lead.

Bills switched back to base 3-4 personnel in 2nd half after playing dime in first half...Gilbride tried to exploit the mismatches but couldn't as we attacked...