"The Comeback" BIlls-Oilers, January 3, 1993 20 Year Anniversa

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was my eighth birthday, and unfortunately my parent's marriage was on the rocks. My father was about to move out, wanted to see the game without interruption so he went to a local bar to view on satellite as it was blacked out. Hence, I had to listen on a handheld radio outside in my front yard. Had a rock next to the road in my front yard, sat there and listened up until the third quarter when I couldn't wait any longer and had to go to my neighbor's house to proclaim the Bills were staging a comeback... Best sports experience of my life (up until the Sabres comeback against the Rangers staged by Chris Drury.)

My dad got tickets and asked if I wanted to go to my hockey game or go to the bills game. We went to the bills game. We sat in the 100s and were hit with snow balls by the oiler fans all game..by half time my dad asked if I wanted to go and I said no lets stay (also thought dad drank too much) so we stayed through the end and I remember walking by and seein all the people beg to come back in by the end of the third quarter. I still have my ticket stubs to this day..

1. On TV: Watched it at home, in suburban Washington. My father -- who'd taken me to my first Bills game in 1963 -- called from Florida at game time, as usual, to demand, "Are you at your post?" We exchanged a few morose phone calls as the Oilers kept scoring, but by halftime the phone wasn't ringing. And when it was 35-3, I confess, I turned off the game in disgust. A few minutes later my sister called from Chicago. "They just scored, y'know," she said. "Like rouge on a corpse," I replied (using Jimmy Cannon's term for the refurbishing of War Memorial Stadium). "They just recovered the kick, y'know," my sister said. "I'll call you back," I said. And from then on, it was my father -- "Did you see that catch??!!" -- sister -- "They scored again!!" -- father -- "Look at Davis run!! Go! Go!" -- sister -- "Again!" -- until Steve "They can't ice me, I'm from Canada" Christie put it through for the win.

I still have my phone bill for January 1993. It's like a rebroadcast.

2. At the stadium: Friend of mine recalls that in his section, some drunk a couple of rows down started shouting, "The Bills are comin' back!" early in the second half. People within earshot tried to ignore him, but he started handing out atomic fireballs -- those spicy hard candies -- as he shouted. Then the comeback began -- and people started asking for the fireballs. He kept giving them out -- must've been a big bag -- and by the time the score was tied, the aisle near his seat was jammed with fans, screaming for fireballs.

More than a few people that day, I suspect, knew for a fact that they alone were keeping the rally going, whether with atomic fireballs or lucky coins or whatever. Me, after putting NBC back on, I stood for the rest of the second half and overtime. Had to keep that rally alive.

Just got through watching the greatest comeback in NFL history with the Buffalo Bills beating the Houston Oilers in Jan 93. After the Bills clean house this off season and start their 2013 re-build "again" pre-season. The 2013 players need to watch this game over and over. This is how you win football games. This is how every player on the team contributes. This is how to play smash mouth football. This is how to overcome adversity. Every player on that team was making plays not just the money guys. All this with a back up quarterback and a coach that everyone believed in. Time for them all to step up and contribute. We are just a few players, a coach and a quarterback away from greatness. Here is the you tube link to the game.It's a beautiful thing. Get it done Wilson! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S_A6aHt8H0&list=PLE515EEF211E58386

Edited by Martimus

I will never forget that day.

I live in Australia and was camping in the bush with a group of friends. Most of us happened to be American Football fans so we went into the nearest town and hijacked the local bar's TV(which had cable). The game wasn't live at the time but since we avoided any media prior it had that live feel.

In hindsight, that game was a mirror opposite of what it feels generally to be a Bills fan. Instead of giving hope and then dashing them in the worst possible way and at the worst possible time.....it spiraled any Bills fan watching into the pits of despair....and then vaulted them into the elation.

That game truly is a highlight life memory for me. :)

I wasn't at the game, but I was able to see all of it. I was going to graduate school at RIT at the time and was home visiting my parents in North East, PA. The game was blacked out, but the cable company carried the Cleveland station and I saw the whole thing. I almost left at halftime, but I decided to stay because I wanted to avoid the game traffic. I headed back to Rochester after the game was over and still ran into the game traffic. I got a glimpse of some of the excitement as people were honking their horns at the Buffalo toll booths like people do coming from a wedding.

What an unbelievable game! I just wish I had recorded it. It was the first playoff game I didn't tape.

Gor me....went over to Ft Erie. My friends now ex wife knew and owner of a bar over there. A bunch of us went over there. I remember I believed a comeback was possible.

From my experience, and it isnt just in football....if a team was able to put up x pts in y minutes, your team could too.

Random Memories of heading up to the game-

Traveled from Rochester to the game with a group of 8-10 guys... fortunately we did not have all our seats together, remember-cell phone were not common. You could not just buzz your buddy and ask, "You want to leave?"- some of us may have left early.

I recall at halftime walking in the concourse, fans were in disbelief. I mean we were playing at home, getting our butts handed to us. That was not suppose to happen.

The second half doesn't start well with a pick 6. Time to start drinking, I mean I smuggled beer into the stadium and still had some left for the second half...

Holy Crap- Something is starting to change, you can feel it in the stadium...

OMG! We might just pull this thing off...

HIGH FIVING SCREAMING! Jumping onto complete strangers, strangers jumping onto me... IT WAS UNBILLIEVABLE!

I went into work the next morning. Exhausted. My voice was weak and sore from screaming during the second half... I had this stupid ass grin all day, my entire body ached. it was the best day of work I had.

My son was 4 months old and I was holding him and walking around while watching the game. Every time I stood next to the TV the Bills did something good (serious sports superstition here). When things heated up for the Bills my wife said: "Give him to me before you spike him"

My son was 4 months old and I was holding him and walking around while watching the game. Every time I stood next to the TV the Bills did something good (serious sports superstition here). When things heated up for the Bills my wife said: "Give him to me before you spike him"

Lol. Smart Woman:)

This game was blacked out in Toronto for some reason... dunno if was blacked out in Buffalo?

Anyway, with no other option I tuned in to listen on the radio. What a bummer of a first half. I gave up at half time especially since with Kelly out we had no chance and instead agreed to go shopping with my wife. In the car I flipped on the radio just before the comeback began. Firstly the feeling of disgust as the first couple of scores came. Y'know.... why couldn't they have done this earlier when there was still a chance. Then the growing excitement as they picked up momentum. Finally screaming like a deranged lunatic while driving as they went ahead. I can still remember the exact spot I was at in my car.

Fantastic!!!

Gosh, it's been a long hard road since the end of the Kelly era. I haven't wavered as a fan and have not missed a game but they keep trying really hard to make us quit. I find my inspiration in those glory days (4 superbowls... wow!).

It was the last game I attended before leaving for Air Force Basic Training in Feb '93. My Dad and I had season tickets together for a few years, but he invited a friend to go too, so we made an arrangement before the game. I bought a single ticket behind the tunnel endzone where I would sit during the first half, and then at halftime me and his friend would switch and I'd sit back up with my Dad in the upper deck for the rest of the game.

Well, it was obviously depressing when we switched at the half, but I tried to convince my Dad (and myself) that we still had a chance if we scored right away. That obviously didn't work out either, and we probably would have left after that quick interception if I wasn't leaving WNY a few weeks later.

After the comeback started it was the most amazing thing I've ever experienced, and I just kept hoping that we wouldn't fall just short. When Christie's FG went through the uprights in OT it was just overwhelming shock. Everyone in our section just hugged and kissed each other, and the feeling was unreal.

I still have the ticket stubs from both my 1st and 2nd half seats together with all my memorobilia.

Best wishes fellow Bills fans!

'Within his reach': The greatest comeback in football history started with Mark Maddox

Thursday is the 20th anniversary of the greatest comeback in the history of the National Football League: The Buffalo Bills, trailing 35-3 in the third quarter of a playoff game against Houston, righted themselves and pulled out a victory that remains surreal, two decades later. Buffalo quarterback Frank Reich is rightly remembered as the guy in the middle of that rally. But it started with a fumble that came achingly close to being recovered by the Oilers, and the game turned on a desperate effort by Mark Maddox, an effort at the bottom of a pile that was invisible to the crowd in the stands. This is a column - edited for timeliness - that I wrote about Maddox and that moment 20 years ago, while the Bills were preparing for what would be a Super Bowl defeat against the Dallas Cowboys.