[closed]On record, in favor of, continuity

HamSandwhich

I just want to put my name out there for being in favor for continuity. I know this is not a popular viewpoint on this board, but I feel as though, starting over again (just as we did with MM and Dick after a few years) is going to lead to the same. Are we ever going to learn from our past?

That does not mean some tweaks can happen, however, the framework of this regime needs to be maintained, if we want any chance at the playoffs in the next year. We will likely need to start all over again, and have those growing pains, that we're so used to having done this twice in recent history. I know some will point toward the recent history of first year coaches. However, to that I'll say, its RECENT history, and is actually the exception rather than the rule. Coaches generally do not fair well in the first couple seasons. So why start over? Give Gailey and company another year to get this ship right. Let this defense have another year (after having just changed back to 4-3) in this scheme, they've been getting better save for the last game.

These are just some of the thoughts I've illustrated in other posts, maintaining continuity is far better for the immediate future than to get a new coach. We have the talent, lets see one more year under Gailey.

I am for continuity too, but probably for the wrong reasons. I honestly think that Chan is the best we can do for the time being. If we fire him, there are going to be plenty of others teams looking for a new HC as well, and we will get the worst one for sure. We have the least appeal out of any team, mainly because we have an owner that can go any day. Any coach will know that when ralph passes, there will be a new owner, and the first thing a new owner does is fire everyone. So no respectable coach would take the risk in coming here. Maybe a desperate one that can't find work elsewhere... but I doubt it is someone better than chan. I really think this is the regime we are stuck with for awhile, if for some miracle we make the playoffs next year, that will definently give them enough leverage to last for the remainder of ralphs years.

But as soon as new ownership comes in, they are all goners and just gotta hope that the new owners 1) keep the bills in buffalo and 2) put together a front office that can build a winner

I am for continuity too, but probably for the wrong reasons. I honestly think that Chan is the best we can do for the time being. If we fire him, there are going to be plenty of others teams looking for a new HC as well, and we will get the worst one for sure. We have the least appeal out of any team, mainly because we have an owner that can go any day. Any coach will know that when ralph passes, there will be a new owner, and the first thing a new owner does is fire everyone. So no respectable coach would take the risk in coming here. Maybe a desperate one that can't find work elsewhere... but I doubt it is someone better than chan. I really think this is the regime we are stuck with for awhile, if for some miracle we make the playoffs next year, that will definently give them enough leverage to last for the remainder of ralphs years.

But as soon as new ownership comes in, they are all goners and just gotta hope that the new owners 1) keep the bills in buffalo and 2) put together a front office that can build a winner

Wow, that's depressing.

I cant believe people are suggesting this again and im guessing its same ppl that wanted to keep Jauron. You don't keep a bad coach just for continuity

Keeping Chan another year won't make a bit of difference. He will still be the pass happy awful game manager he is today. This team isn't even close to making the playoffs. How does 4 wins 6 wins now 5 win seasons make anyone think this team is remotely close?

It's not about just keeping any coach it's about hiring and keeping the right coach

Edited by Max997

I cant believe people are suggesting this again and im guessing its same ppl that wanted to keep Jauron. You don't keep a bad coach just for continuity

Keeping Chan another year won't make a bit of difference. He will still be the pass happy awful game manager he is today. This team isn't even close to making the playoffs. How does 4 wins 6 wins now 5 win seasons make anyone think this team is remotely close?

It's not about just keeping any coach it's about hiring and keeping the right coach

Well said. I can't believe anyone would want Gailey to stay.

I just want to put my name out there for being in favor for continuity. I know this is not a popular viewpoint on this board, but I feel as though, starting over again (just as we did with MM and Dick after a few years) is going to lead to the same. Are we ever going to learn from our past?

That does not mean some tweaks can happen, however, the framework of this regime needs to be maintained, if we want any chance at the playoffs in the next year. We will likely need to start all over again, and have those growing pains, that we're so used to having done this twice in recent history. I know some will point toward the recent history of first year coaches. However, to that I'll say, its RECENT history, and is actually the exception rather than the rule. Coaches generally do not fair well in the first couple seasons. So why start over? Give Gailey and company another year to get this ship right. Let this defense have another year (after having just changed back to 4-3) in this scheme, they've been getting better save for the last game.

These are just some of the thoughts I've illustrated in other posts, maintaining continuity is far better for the immediate future than to get a new coach. We have the talent, lets see one more year under Gailey.

You work in government, dont you?

I am in favor of keeping just about everyone. Like the OP said, some changes need to be made, but I think there is a plan, and I think its a solid one. I think that starting over now will just prolong whats now been 13 years. I believe that Chan and company are on the right track as long as they draft well and play FA well. We need to resign Byrd and Levitre. We need a real MLB. We need to get another WR for Stevie (although I think David Nelson's injury was a bigger deal than some make it). I also think if next years team doesn't get to 10 wins, then we need to overhaul everything.

Good post. All true. Bills are kryptonite for top coaches and execs until Ralph is gone and long term ownership is in place...

I am listening to WGR55 online as I amon the left coast, and they are looping comments Gailey made re: the defense. It's a little confusing but still pretty funny. He

basically says you have to look at the defense as a whole, or the whole body of work or some other nonsense, and then goes on to say that many of the stats

are misleading because of INTs returned for TDs??? What????

Gailey is either:

A) delusional

B) not seeing the same D everyone else is.

C) just full of it

D) just saything the first thing that comes to mind.

He must think everyone is stupid. The Bills D is again tied for 31st in the league for defense points/game.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&season=2012&seasonType=REG&role=OPP&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-p=1&statisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&d-447263-s=TOTAL_POINTS_GAME_AVG

Oh yeah, your D just gave up 50 to a rookie QB. Nice job.

The current regime inherited a pretty bad team. Then, they drafted poorly and spent o whole lotta money on a whole lotta nothing. The team is worse. Continuity is only a good idea if your are progressing, and the Bills are headed in the other direction.

How many years in a row are you going to wish we drafted someone else?

I'll be on record for saying that Chan Gailey's job should be seriously evaluated at the end of the season and I'd be leaning towards firing him. The Bills' record over the last 3 years is ATROCIOUS. At the same time, this is arguably the most "talent" we've had on our team in the last 5-7yrs. Furthermore, Chan is incapable of beating teams we have to beat: the Jets, Dolphins, and Pats. What's the Bills record vs. those teams the last 3 years? I'm not even going to look, but I'll venture to say that it's probably something like 5-11 (again, that's a guess, but doing the math in my head, that sounds about right).

To me, the biggest problem i have with gailey are the blowouts we've seen vs. the Jets, the Pats, the niners, the seahawks and others where the bills weren't even competitive. Being in the 3rd year, there's no excuse for such routs. It's a sign of the team being unprepared on a strategic level and being both mentally and physically weak.

For me, the last two games of this season still mean a lot. I want to see if this team can show me some mental toughness and finish with a couple of wins vs. divisional opponents. If we can finish with wins vs. the dolphins and the jets it'll at least show me that the team hasn't completely tanked it in and hasn't quit on Chan and e/o.

I like Chan overall as a person, much the same way I like Fitz overall as a person, but continuity for the sake of continuity is a recipe for disaster. We'll see where we stand at the end of the season.

Edited by bobobonators

YOU ARE WRONG. This is an outdated, antiquated notion. LOOK AROUND THE LEAGUE. You are seeing first-year coaches AND first-year QB's succeeding right away. This idea that if we got a new coach that we're "starting from scratch" is utterly ridiculous. We could and probably would improve right away in year 1 with a coach who knows how to manage a freaking clock. Football is complicated, but not as complicated as you're trying to make it out to be.

Recognize failure but keep things the same because change is evil... You must be a republican.

You mean Democrat right? That is what just happened. Record unemployment, huge national debt, median household income down, but let's have four more please.

Why do I get the feeling that Michael Vick will probably be on his way here very soon? If Nix and Chan do stay, then it stands to reason they will be going "all in" for the playoffs in 2013 with the obvious solution of pairing Vick with Gailey's spread system. Add to the mix a 2nd rd QB to quell the fans desire for a young guy of the future, I think this is what "continuity" means going forward.

no disrespect to the OP but count me as not in favor.........giving up 50 points over and over again does not warrant continuity.......this regime has shown no ability to beat any .500 teams this year or the jets for that matter.

im in favor of letting gailey and wanny walk tommorow

Edited by Ryan L Billz