Why are missed tackles such a big deal?

eSJayDee

I thought of this last night.

It seems when CJ or Jackson make a guy miss (& they both did a really good job of that yesterday more than once), they usually end up getting tackled 2 or maybe 7 yards down the field. When our guys miss a tackle, the backs go for 15 or 80. Why?

Is our "scheme" predicated on assigning one & only 1 player to making a tackle in a particular place?

Sure, there are times that a missed tackle can result in big gains, typically when they occur in open field, but at/near the LOS there should be more people in position to make the tackle.

Again, this is puzzling.

Also, where were the safeties on that 83-yard TD from Johnson? Simply a brutal game from Wilson yesterday. Actually he's been pretty bad all season. I think that is one of the most confounding things about the defense: so many guys that we thought were going to be good going into the season have been abysmal.

Kyle Williams has been decent -- but hardly his near Pro Bowl quality self. Dareus has been an outright disappointment after having showed so much promise as a rookie last year (shades of Mike Williams?). Mike Anderson is out, but even when he was healthy was a non-factor. Aside from the Arizona game, Mario is getting handled one-on-one and is thus far a bust. Kelsay is Kelsay: plays hard and is usually in the right position but misses too many clear shots. Maybe Barnett is starting to show his age? The word on Shep when he came out of college last year was that he was soft, and I think we are seeing that. Nigel is undersized -- and Scott is too small to play LB but too slow to be an effective safety. After getting toasted early in the season, Gilmore has actually turned it around to be pretty good in pass coverage. A. Williams may very well be the worst cover corner in the league. Rodgers got his opportunity yesterday and was burned badly. Byrd has played well, but he missed some tackles yesterday too, and Wilson (as I said) has looked lost all year long.

So aside from Kyle Williams, J. Byrd and S. Gilmore, the entire defense has been a disappointment. Missed tackles, blown assignments... These guys often just looked lost. The worst part is that Wanny refuses to try to do anything to adjust or compensate. He seems unwilling to even try to blitz, for example.

When your defense leads the league in giving up the most big plays, it's a group clusterphuck. That said, look at our safeties, especially Wilson, who is out of position half the time and that's why he whiffs on tackles.

GO BILLS!!!