Good article on 4-3 Hawks Defense (contrasts it to generic (Bills) 4-3

Gilmore is looking better, but I'm still worried about our defense as a whole. We played ok against a terrible offense.... So we have a lot more to prove

I havent noticed the seahawks using 3 dts and one de on rushing plays, probably because I don't know their players as well. But that seems like a good idea on rushing plays. I don't think throw Kyle, Spencer, and marcel in at the same time would make too much of a difference, but I would go for it when Spencer is healthy

Also notes their big physical, un-pedigreed corners. If this argument is right, makes me even more excited about Gilmore.

http://www.slate.com...l_s_second.html

That's the way I thought a wide nine should be run; manly on passing situations then guys in tighter on running downs. Our D basically has the same alignment all the time except guys might be in different positions.

Quite. But the argument wasn't that they were successful in Seattle because they were drafted low (obviously) but because they were big and physical.

In my opinion - and, I've said it so many times - it's the coaches MORE than the players. Coaches envision a scheme, a type of offense or defense they believe can be great, and then they find the right types of players to fill the roster with; or, they see who they have, and then they figure out a scheme that will make those players successful. Either way, it starts with a decision on the part of the coach to assemble the players in a certain way - I call it IDENTITY.

Use, as an example, the decision by Seattle to go with 3 DT's and a DE in the run downs. That is what I call creative, or innovative, play calling. It is functional. You've got 11 guys who can be mixed in a wide range of combinations to achieve what you want - why, especially in today's age of brilliant QB's - give the offense PREDICTABLE formations and plays?

That is Buffalo's problem. One of many, I should add. Our defense is PREDICTABLE. Our coaches seem SCARED. They behave like they're afraid to go out on a limb. We have the personnel on both sided to be a successful team. However, until we get the coaches who are doing something other than following the curve of the NFL, we'll be stuck with the mediocrity we've had (as a note, Gailey's offensive play calling is not altogether orthodox or normal, however, he is PREDICTABLE because of the limitations Fitzpatrick puts on them).

In my opinion - and, I've said it so many times - it's the coaches MORE than the players. Coaches envision a scheme, a type of offense or defense they believe can be great, and then they find the right types of players to fill the roster with; or, they see who they have, and then they figure out a scheme that will make those players successful. Either way, it starts with a decision on the part of the coach to assemble the players in a certain way - I call it IDENTITY.

Use, as an example, the decision by Seattle to go with 3 DT's and a DE in the run downs. That is what I call creative, or innovative, play calling. It is functional. You've got 11 guys who can be mixed in a wide range of combinations to achieve what you want - why, especially in today's age of brilliant QB's - give the offense PREDICTABLE formations and plays?

That is Buffalo's problem. One of many, I should add. Our defense is PREDICTABLE. Our coaches seem SCARED. They behave like they're afraid to go out on a limb. We have the personnel on both sided to be a successful team. However, until we get the coaches who are doing something other than following the curve of the NFL, we'll be stuck with the mediocrity we've had (as a note, Gailey's offensive play calling is not altogether orthodox or normal, however, he is PREDICTABLE because of the limitations Fitzpatrick puts on them).

But doesn't that make it make the defense predictable? If they have 3 DT's on the field, you pass instead of run. If you see the wide-9 approach, you run the ball. Instead of disguising the defense, doesn't this telegraph exactly what they are doing, which should prompt the QB to audible?

Love seeing Welker "jacked up". been frustrating for years how he's been able to run close to the line and avoid the big hit

Zone defense with a rover manning the underneath route. Welker thought he beat 1 on 1 coverage only to meet Marsha Brady in a violent collision.

But doesn't that make it make the defense predictable? If they have 3 DT's on the field, you pass instead of run. If you see the wide-9 approach, you run the ball. Instead of disguising the defense, doesn't this telegraph exactly what they are doing, which should prompt the QB to audible?

Consider the possibility that in the jumbo package, the Seahawks have some guys versatile enough to tie up blockers in the run game and quick and powerful enough to collapse the pocket like a cheap, old beer can. Then, it might be possible to play either run or pass despite the personnel. Now, consider that you might want to rotate the line frequently to have them all going at 1 billion miles an hour all game long, so you rotate players and bring in guys with different strengths based on down and distance. The idea might be to try to maximize what those players do well.

Another approach is to play in waves. Line up 4 guys in their spots every down and try to read and react to what the offense does to you. Use the same guys for a few series and then substitute in your backup rotation on the next series to keep everyone fresh.

Neither of these approaches is exactly unpredictable. Both can be exploited schematically by a good offense.

Wannestedt should watch video of Seattle till his eyes fall out of his head.

If Buffalo has two more wide bodied defensive lineman, I like the idea of putting in a heavier front 3 and then rotating Mario and perhaps Kyle or Carrington on the edges. Kyle seems like a logical choice against a passing team, but he is a lighter d-tackle that can get pushed around with a double-team and we have seen the results of having lighter d-tackles backed by our "little guys".

Ugly.

Whatever the recipe is the the Seahawks are using, this Buffalo team needs to channel that against the Pats.

Also notes their big physical, un-pedigreed corners. If this argument is right, makes me even more excited about Gilmore.

http://www.slate.com...l_s_second.html

Hey, the author called Leodis a Bust!!!! That hurts....Cause it might be true.....

"The lesson of the Seahawks' success might be that teams ought to look harder at big, physical corners, the ones theoretically hamstrung by sensitive officiating. Perhaps the league is overvaluing scrawny, speedy corners—I'm thinking of Leodis McKelvin, Alphonso Smith, Darius Butler, Kareem Jackson, and a slew of other recent busts. It's banal and predictable, but the NFL could use the reminder: size does matter."

Ouch!!!

Edited by Cville Bills