Our? We? Who Is Announcing This Game???

Tenhigh

Just got a chance to watch the game from the NFL Network replay, and something seems very strange to me. The announcers are constantly saying "our" and "we" when they are talking about the Vikings, like a homer fan talking about "our team". Aren't these guys supposed to be somewhat objective? Do the Bills announcers do the same thing, or do they refer to the team like they aren't part of the organization? Maybe I just miss it because it's my team, but I don't think so.

I watched the bills first preseason game and remember thinking that they seemed very objective. I was wanting some bills homer perspective to make it more entertaining, but tasker and the other guy (sorry don't remember who) seemed very fair and unbiased. I wanted to start a thread during that Vikings game because they were SOOOO overly in man love with those Vikings players it was unlistenable...had to mute it around halftime and listen to tunes... I have the preseason live thing and see bits or most of every game and I can't say ive heard one more bias and annoying than that Vikings game.

Home team gets the announcers on NFL Network, at least on the NFL Preseason Online package. I do wish they'd realize that their broadcasts are watched by a fairly large percentage of away team fans. "Ballcarrier" is not an acceptable replacement for Fred Jackson and "he" doesn't do for Stevie Johnson.

It was especially bad when the one guy started to wax poetic about the Vikings kicker for a solid 3-4 minutes. To the point he wasn't even talking about the game going on. Yet was throwing out hypothetical kicks he may be kick later in the year at lambo. The other announcer got noticeably upset by it and tried more than once to shut him up. I would have turned it off if it wasn't so unbelievably over the top that I had to see how far he was going to take it.

Yes it's true that home team's announcers call the plays and Steve Tasker and the other dude were very objective about both teams and called the game like how real commentators should (fair) and even though Steve Tasker sucks at commentating IMO, he needs to step his game up and have more man love for the team like the Vike's commentators did... Either that or the NFL just needs to tell commentators to keep it fair like how we do...

Also, why doesn't Directv buy the rights to the preseason? This is bull---t... Having to watch the game the day after we play sucks ballz... Also to pay an extra cent more for preseason live is also bull... It should come as one package... Preseason and regular season games should all be included in the Sunday NFL ticket even though they are not all played on "Sundays"...

It was especially bad when the one guy started to wax poetic about the Vikings kicker for a solid 3-4 minutes. To the point he wasn't even talking about the game going on. Yet was throwing out hypothetical kicks he may be kick later in the year at lambo. The other announcer got noticeably upset by it and tried more than once to shut him up. I would have turned it off if it wasn't so unbelievably over the top that I had to see how far he was going to take it.

I caught that too. They raved about his kickoff six yards deep into the endzone. Then Potter kicks one out of the back of the endzone - crickets. lol

Edited by Nanker

I had to turn off the sound because the announcers were such homers it was disgusting. The other annoying thing was endless interviews on the sidelines while the game is playing, hello! Can we see the game?

Not only the endless interviews, but also during the BIlls possessions. And to make it even worse, the director insisted on showing the interview 90% of the time, only cutting away to show the bare minimum of the play.

They could have done voice over video of the action or had the interview in an inset so you could still see the action on the field (presnap formations, who's getting off the pile, etc).

We can hear the interviews. It was unnecessary to show virtually every second of them.

Amateur production.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

i streamed the game live with the vikings announcers and then rewatched it on dvr later with steve and ray and although i would agree the vikings announcers were much bigger homers i can also say that steve and ray were obviously bills fans too

its just about impossible to avoid bias if you played a long time for one team and still live in that city. i dont really mind it much anyway

Just got a chance to watch the game from the NFL Network replay, and something seems very strange to me. The announcers are constantly saying "our" and "we" when they are talking about the Vikings, like a homer fan talking about "our team". Aren't these guys supposed to be somewhat objective? Do the Bills announcers do the same thing, or do they refer to the team like they aren't part of the organization? Maybe I just miss it because it's my team, but I don't think so.

Yeah the Bills ones are just as bad. I had to turn off the audio after the first quarter, it was just too brutal. Every other play was a terrible call against the Bills. And when the replay showed it was not a bad call they would stop complaining ... maybe. Just brutal. But that's how it is every preseason game.

i streamed the game live with the vikings announcers and then rewatched it on dvr later with steve and ray and although i would agree the vikings announcers were much bigger homers i can also say that steve and ray were obviously bills fans too

its just about impossible to avoid bias if you played a long time for one team and still live in that city. i dont really mind it much anyway

I don't agree that it was the same. When you listen to the Bills' broadcasts you can tell that the announcers are favoring the Bills, but as far as I can recall, you don't hear them saying things like "we" and "our". That's a very big difference, IMO. The Bills team also seems to be more prepared with opponent information than that Vikes team did.

This pre-season package is new though, so it's understandable. Normally there wouldn't be such a big Bills fan base watching this particular feed. I would suppose that as this continues the announcers will even things out a bit. Personally I don't mind a little favoritism and would be fine if all teams did things the way the Bills seem to. When I'm watching an opposing teams feed I expect to hear them get excited by a big play, or annoyed at a turnover. And I also expect all of the sideline reporting to be on that teams sideline. But I do also expect a professional broadcast with a team that sounds like they prepared and is there to cover both sides of the game. For that, I give kudos to the Bills broadcast team.

Yeah, it was local yokel coverage all the way. That didn't bother me so much as the continuation of some of the sync and steaming issues on the iPad app again this week. Not nearly as bad as week one, but still irritating. Can't wait for that pure, unadulterated HD signal via DirecTV on Sept. 9!

They were the laziest announcers I've run across, not even bothering to learn the names of more than three or four Bills players, nor even bothering to look on the rosters sheets they must have had in front of them. I understand they're home team announcers, but how can you give your own fans a good idea of how a guy is doing if you don't bother telling them the strengths of the opponent? On top of being lazy, it was just plain rude to non-Vikes fans and casual non-Bills fans to not give the names and situations of Bills players. I don't think I've ever heard a worse broadcasting team in that regard.