Training Camp Observations, Mon 8-13

LabattBlue

- On consecutive plays, Choice took a solid hit from Searcy, and then Morrison really lowered the boom on him in the backfield.

- Hagan had a couple of nice catches. I wonder if his solid training camp will vault him past Jones into the #2 WR spot?

- Young and Thigpen had good and bad moments during 7 on 7. Thigpen had a couple of nice throws down the left sideline, and Young looked okay for the most part, but as soon as I thought he was looking good, he fired a swing pass at the feet of the RB on the very next play.

- Gilmore was the first player on the field by at least 15 minutes, and spend some time catching football from the jugs machine.

- I did not notice Mario Williams or Mark Anderson. In fact, I had forgotten they were on the team for the entire practice.

- Stevie was pretty quiet, but came to life at the end of the practice with some nice grabs.

- Dareus had shoulder pads and his helmet on, but was wearing shorts instead of football pants. He seemed to be practicing with the rest of the first team, so I don't know what the story was.

- Wannstedt was very animated with the defensive players after practice ended. Not sure if he was upset about their play during the two minute drill or something else, but he was definetely fired up.

- Graham looked okay. He seems to be really skinny, even with pads on.

A couple non-football notes...

- It was hotter than I expected out there. I bet it was close to 85 at the beginning of practice.

- Parents who bring their little kids to practice can't seriously expect them to sit in the stands and watch practice. I saw a constant stream of people with kids make their way into the stands, and right back out within 30 minutes. Kids want to eat, drink, and go play in the fan experience.

- I miss the days of training camp at Fredonia. Even though, there were no grandstands there, I can remember standing by the fence within a stones throw of Joe Devlin and Ken Jones goofing off during stretching exercises. :lol:

Edited by LabattBlue

I was there today as well. I thought Young looked solid today and, IMHO, a clear notch above Thigpen. Loved seeing Gilmore on the field early. Lots of special teams stuff today that limited the 'fun' a bit for a visitor like me. Still a cool day. Best part was my son getting his Fitz jersey signed by the man himself. Very classy guy who took a LOT of time to sign autographs at the end of practice. Kudos to him creating lifelong memories for a bunch of kids!! I know it doesn't mean squat re: performance but it makes it very easy to root for a guy like that.

Thanks for the camp reports, you guys.

I guess after last Thursday's performance, the bloom is off the rose a bit and I'm not getting excited about anything that happens at camp anymore.

If the Bills do something during the games, then I'll get excited.

But I do appreciate the first-hand scouting reports and the effort and consideration it takes.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the camp reports, you guys.

I guess after last Thursday's performance, the bloom is off the rose a bit and I'm not getting excited about anything that happens at camp anymore.

If the Bills do something during the games, then I'll get excited.

But I do appreciate the first-hand scouting reports and the effort and consideration it takes.

:thumbsup:

That's always how it should be in my opinion. At camp they are running drills or half speed scrimmages. How they look doing that has little bearing on how they will look in a live game.

That's always how it should be in my opinion. At camp they are running drills or half speed scrimmages. How they look doing that has little bearing on how they will look in a live game.

Additionally, how they look in pre-season games has little bearing on how they will look during the regular season. I too was disapointed to watch last thursdays game, but ultimately it was a glorified scrimage with some good and bad points.

Though if they are struggling at half speeed that does kind of say something, right?

I think we all know to take these reports for what they are worth. I have especially liked seeing who is getting reps with which level (i.e. first team) which gives some insight into the team's thinking. " are getting rec

Though if they are struggling at half speeed that does kind of say something, right?

I think we all know to take these reports for what they are worth. I have especially liked seeing who is getting reps with which level (i.e. first team) which gives some insight into the team's thinking. " are getting rec

Agreed. One of the greatest values to camp reports is to simply know who is getting reps with which unit.