Looking at the back-up QBs

Dixon has 3 starts but more INTs than TDs, more fumbles than rush TDs

And Young has more INTs than TDs...

Our best bet is to find an older QB (Delhomme, Brunell, Collins, etc) sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal and let him be the back up. Next year or the year after you draft a first rounder who is the 3rd QB. The following season you shake hands with said backup and the first rounder becomes a second stringer. The following season you shake hands with Fitz and you don't lose a step...

Trying to make franchise guy out of a pile crap with an inventive sculptor (coach), might end up with a result that looks a lot like the David sculpture by Michelangelo, but upon closer inspection it is still a piece of ****...

Seems to me, most people are not discussing the most important quality of a back up QB. Its not stats, arm strength, win/loss record, leadership, etc. To be a successfull #2 QB, you need to be a student of the game. You want to have someone that prepares mentally every week to start, knows the playbook inside and out, gets along with all the players, and most importantly knows he's the backup.

If you're looking for a back up that's a proven winner, wants one more shot to prove he can be the guy and can lead your team through half the season or more, then you're looking for a starter, IMO.

Regarding VY, who really thinks he would ever put in the time to study and learn the offense if he knew he wasn't going to start. Shades of Billy Joe come to my mind.

Seems to me, most people are not discussing the most important quality of a back up QB. Its not stats, arm strength, win/loss record, leadership, etc. To be a successfull #2 QB, you need to be a student of the game. You want to have someone that prepares mentally every week to start, knows the playbook inside and out, gets along with all the players, and most importantly knows he's the backup.

If you're looking for a back up that's a proven winner, wants one more shot to prove he can be the guy and can lead your team through half the season or more, then you're looking for a starter, IMO.

Regarding VY, who really thinks he would ever put in the time to study and learn the offense if he knew he wasn't going to start. Shades of Billy Joe come to my mind.

Nice post Dan :thumbsup:

So were lots of guys. and that was years ago. What about him in the NFL is so great?

I won't try to sell you on Dixon, and though I'm a fan, I'd be hard pressed to explain what's so great about him. To take a second stab at your original question: Fans are interested because he's available, he's young, and doesn't have any baggage.

His skill level and potential are debatable. He hasn't really had a shot in Pittsburgh as the third string QB. Yeah, he had some starts, but you have to imagine his development was somewhat stunted by taking reps as the third string QB for most of his career.

I know the standard response would be, "Well, if he's so good, how come he didn't beat out Leftwich or Charlie Batch?" Well, I don't know. Maybe he truly isn't that good. But I know I liked him as a Duck, and it doesn't hurt the Bills to bring him in and kick the tires.

Edited by uncle flap

Here we go with the "toxic" in the locker room excuse. T.O. was another problem child according to reports but ended up being a model teammate. VY is a winning QB in the league and it would behoove the Bills not to consider him.

So you're saying he's not toxic, but the Bills shouldn't consider him. O.K.

This.

I think the results in Philly showed what he'd do as the backup

In talking about Vince Young, here's a quote from the News on back-up QBs currently available: "The list of veteran free-agent quarterbacks still on the market is thin. Some of the QBs available beside Young include: ex-Steeler Dennis Dixon, 27; ex-Redskin John Beck, 31; ex-Charger Billy Volek, 36; ex-Ram A.J. Feeley, 35; and ex-Jaguar Luke McCown, 31".

Given that group, I understand why we worked out Vince Young when I at first did not see it. This group is really sad. Tyler Thigpen, who is well down any list of QBs, fits right in with this group. We need to find a back-up and I don't see anyone in this group providing a solid choice. We may need to wait until training camp cuts to find someone.

Volek mak be the oldest, but IMO he represents the best out of this bunch. Smart, experienced, well-traveled, and very reliable. If he were five or six years younger, there's no question who I would want.

That said, there's no way Billy Volek is leaving his home in SoCal for balmy WNY. -Not at this stage in his career.

Edited by #34fan

Thigpen came to this team when we had that whole NFL and player negotiation stuff going on. He didn't have a bunch of Bills WRs coming to his house in the off season like Fitz. I'll give him a chance to build better chemistry with them. Honestly, a full off season to work with the QB coach and Chan will help him too. He looked pretty lost last year but I think he'll come around.

As for third string, the Bills are doing the right thing and looking for a young guy they could possibly develop.

Really, I think people here are bit too quick to toss stuff on the trash heap. Kind of understandable....we haven't had a decent QB for so long that we tend to be overly critical of our QB's every move. Having guys like Rob Johnson, Drew Bledsoe and Trent Edwards around has kind of warped our perception of things. I also think that all of those guys had one thing in common....they all lead the league in sacks. All were pocket passers who could have done OK with plenty of time to throw. None would get rid of the ball like Fitzy. I don't know if that can be attributed to better coaching or if Fitz is the first to realize the importance of getting the ball out quick. Whatever the reason, we are sitting in a very good spot right now. No one outside of Buffalo knows what we know and no one is expecting the Bills to lead our division in wins. I am looking forward to watching some very surprised looks on people's faces this year.

Personally, I think all of the QBs who end up on the final roster will look decent this year with all of the added depth we have on our offensive line. We all ready know our RBs can take some pressure off the QB too. It's an interesting year. This is the first time in years that I feel confident about our teams trench guys. The big men up front are going to make our whole team look better and not just on offense either. Some of us need to step back a little and look at the big picture.

Enjoy it guys. Things are looking up.

So were lots of guys. and that was years ago. What about him in the NFL is so great?

He never got a chance in the NFL. So you have a guy with a ton of potential (Dixon) and a veteran (Thigpen) as backups. Dixon will get his chance here to be a backup. It's like a ball player who doesn't get enough at bats. As far as I'm concerned, Dixon's NFL stats mean nothing considering he was the 4TH string QB in PIT behind Leftwich, Batch and Ben. Not much practice time, little game time. And he looked decent in the games considering all of that.

I won't try to sell you on Dixon, and though I'm a fan, I'd be hard pressed to explain what's so great about him. To take a second stab at your original question: Fans are interested because he's available, he's young, and doesn't have any baggage.

His skill level and potential are debatable. He hasn't really had a shot in Pittsburgh as the third string QB. Yeah, he had some starts, but you have to imagine his development was somewhat stunted by taking reps as the third string QB for most of his career.

I know the standard response would be, "Well, if he's so good, how come he didn't beat out Leftwich or Charlie Batch?" Well, I don't know. Maybe he truly isn't that good. But I know I liked him as a Duck, and it doesn't hurt the Bills to bring him in and kick the tires.

Was 4th string in QB. And I agree with you that getting so few reps in practice stunted his development. A good guy to come in and challenge Thigpen, who himself was somewhat hurt by the lockout.

He never got a chance in the NFL. So you have a guy with a ton of potential (Dixon) and a veteran (Thigpen) as backups. Dixon will get his chance here to be a backup. It's like a ball player who doesn't get enough at bats.

Wait, what did I miss? I thought we were trying out Vince Young...when did Dixon come to town and receive an offer? And what about the rookie UDFA we just signed?

Edited by Hopeful