Coy Wire: Players pooled money

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7663125/former-buffalo-bill-coy-wire-says-group-players-ran-weekly-rewards-pool

Though the Bills were at that time coached by Gregg Williams, Wire insists the "pay-for-play pool" was solely player-driven.

"It wasn't a whole team thing. It was just some guys that took things too far," Wire told The Associated Press by phone Thursday. "We rewarded each other for that, and that was wrong. That was crossing the line."

The league is currently investigating whether Williams, now the St. Louis Rams defensive coordinator, ran similar schemes at his previous stops, including Buffalo.

Wire said no.

"What happened in Buffalo was nowhere close to what has been discussed in New Orleans," he said. "The players got the pot and dished out the pot. Never at any point did coach Williams or any other coach stand up and put a bounty on any particular player."

Bills CEO Russ Brandon issued a statement last weekend saying the team was unaware of any type of bounty program during Williams' tenure, and would not have tolerated it.

Edited by NickelCity

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So what did our Defensive roster look like back then, and who could have been running the bounties??

London Fletcher

Pat Williams

Eddie Robinson

Nate Clements

Antoine Winfield

Aaron Schobel

Chidi Ahanotu

Ron Edwards

Keith Newman

Any of those guys?

Man, if I remember right, they must not have been making much from the bounties anyways...

Edited by DrDareustein

So what did our Defensive roster look like back then, and who could have been running the bounties??

London Fletcher

Pat Williams

Eddie Robinson

Nate Clements

Antoine Winfield

Aaron Schobel

Chidi Ahanotu

Ron Edwards

Keith Newman

Any of those guys?

Man, if I remember right, they must not have been making much from the bounties anyways...

And none of them play for this team anymore while moving on to a new team and likely having the same pool.

This will result in a new policy next year and hopefully Gooddell has enough sense to just pursue the Saints on this. I am not happy that Wire came out on this issue but I am more unhappy that the players did this.

I remember in 8th grade we laid a big hit on a player and broke his leg. We yelled body count and other taunts. It was childish!

And this is something that I did not realize until later. Our coach made is pay for it, too. Crawling up and down the field 25 times was just one or this things we did. We deserved it.

If Greg Williams wasn't responsible for the bounties--- according to him, only the players were--- then why is he bringing this up now at all?

Coy Wire has a book coming out--- that's all this is about.

London Fletcher

Pat Williams

Eddie Robinson

Nate Clements

Antoine Winfield

Aaron Schobel

Chidi Ahanotu

Ron Edwards

Keith Newman

Any of those guys?

Chad Pennington had a bounty out on Eddie Robinson and boy did he get paid. :pirate:

How much did Troy Vincent get for breaking JP Losman's leg in camp?

PTR

A free pass to not pick-up garbage in downtown Buffalo. :P

Seriously?

I'm sure the world is waiting with baited breath.

It's called: "Change Your Mind: 10 Unconventional Secrets to Retrain Your Brain"

It was referred to in Tim Graham's Buffalo News article a few days ago, in which he explicitly contradicts what is reported in the above ESPN article concerning whether or not Gregg Williams was involved in the bounty rewards:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article747663.ece

Edited by Punch

If Greg Williams wasn't responsible for the bounties--- according to him, only the players were--- then why is he bringing this up now at all?

Coy Wire has a book coming out--- that's all this is about.

That's what I'm starting to think, too. Either that, or Coy needs the attention now that he's no longer in the NFL....

This Bounty Gate has been blown out proportion, if there wasn't money involved the NFL wouldn't care, What was Al Davis Line "the other teams QB must go down & go down Hard", how much money did the NFL make of of those Hardest Hits videos, they advertise the violence you never see greatest TD runs videos

the NFL knew this was going on, it has for decades, Buddy Ryan, Jerry Glanville, Jimmy Johnson to name a few had bounty system, do fans care about this Hell No but the media got to have a story to go on about

I hate Greg Williams, the minute he was named Bills coach I hated him but to suspend him for a year for a bounty system & you slapped the wrist of Belichick for cheating now thats a HUGE PILE of BS

Wire needs 10 unconventional kicks to the head for his attempt to steal the spotlight for publicity. If he was so conlicted or guilty, he hasn't breathed a word about it until his complely unrelated book came out.

Wire was a sucky kind of guy when he was here....into meditation etc.

Remember when Williams told the press that we would get to the QB by using numbers....we never suspected it was dollars not players

hahaha :rolleyes:

Coy Wire is a snitch, this is just totally pointless. Is he that hard up for publicity? does he need a hug and a passifier? It's just hard to understand why he's being so persistent with this, I really don't

I actually remember the pool for positive plays being publicized. This was around the time that the bills hadn't had a pick in like 30 games, and there was a pool for who got the first pick. Talk about pitiful.

Btw, how much do you want to bet wire is plain wrong about the bounties in buffalo? Sounds like he was a rookie who overheard and misconstrued stuff. There's a big difference, for example, having a pool for big hits and having one for intentionally injuring players.

Wow. "snitch" and "rat" ... really?

The real dirtbags are the ones who participated in these actions over the years for all teams. But you don't care why, because this one is the Bills? You make me sick.

I strongly suspect this is a non-story anyway. I would be willing to bet there isn't a team in the NFL where this didn't go on at one point. And probably, up until now anyway, was still going on for a lot of the teams. Not the entire team or even the entire defense, just a subset of players.

It is a very violent game played by very violent people who for the most part are not the sharpest tools in the shed, and are paid well. If anyone who has followed the game at all is shocked that things like this have been going on then I am stunned.