2012 Bills Starters

In looking at the team the Bills will put on the field for 2012, I've tried to look at what they currently have and who amongst them should be in the starting line-up for 2012 and where they need to find someone who can fill that role. I've identified a few folks who, in my opinion, should be resigned in (). I've assumed a 4-3 defense and that our base offense is starting 3 wideouts. It would be different if we stick with a 3-4. what's your opinion.

Those in () are folks I think need to be resigned and would start. A ? represents a hole.

Offense

WR (3) – (S Johnson); D. Nelson; ? – Nelson as a #3

TE – (S. Chandler)

RB – F. Jackson or Spiller – both fit the task

QB – R Fitzpatrick

LT – (D. Bell) – question if he can stay healthy

LG – A. Levitre

C – E. Wood

RG – K Urbik

RT – E Pears

Defense

DE (2) – C Kelsay; ? – Most folks will not agree with Kelsay, but I think he is solid, but not spectacular

DT (2) – K Williams; M. Dareus

MLB - ?

OLB (2) – N Barnett; ?

CB (2) - ?; ? – Not sure that McGee can stay healthy and if Florence is really a solid starter

SS – G. Wilson

FS – J Byrd

CB (2) - ?; ? Not sure that McGee can stay healthy and if Florence is really a solid starter

Aaron Williams is likely one of your starters, I'm guessing Florence will be the other. I'm also guessing McGee is cut and they draft another CB in the bottom half of the draft.

I don't want D Bell back, he's always hurt and is going to cost quite a bit as probably the best free agent OT this offseason.

Edited by Carey Bender

Aaron Williams is likely one of your starters, I'm guessing Florence will be the other. I'm also guessing McGee is cut and they draft another CB in the bottom half of the draft.

I don't want D Bell back, he's always hurt and is going to cost quite a bit as probably the best free agent OT this offseason.

Thanks -- forgot about Aaron Williams -- yes, he is one of the starters.

Sheppard and A Will are 100% slam dunk starters going into next season. BTW, ya know what would be awesome? If they went to a 4-3, somehow Troup miraculously becomes good and they move Williams to DE and lined up with Dareus and Troup in the middle. That would be an intimidating front four. Or even lined up with those three in a 3-man front.

Sheppard and A Will are 100% slam dunk starters going into next season. BTW, ya know what would be awesome? If they went to a 4-3, somehow Troup miraculously becomes good and they move Williams to DE and lined up with Dareus and Troup in the middle. That would be an intimidating front four. Or even lined up with those three in a 3-man front.

If they stay in a 3 man front I honestly don't hate their chances of finding at least a serviceable starter amongst Troup, Carrington, Edwards, Heard and Spencer Johnson.

In looking at the team the Bills will put on the field for 2012, I've tried to look at what they currently have and who amongst them should be in the starting line-up for 2012 and where they need to find someone who can fill that role. I've identified a few folks who, in my opinion, should be resigned in (). I've assumed a 4-3 defense and that our base offense is starting 3 wideouts. It would be different if we stick with a 3-4. what's your opinion.

Those in () are folks I think need to be resigned and would start. A ? represents a hole.

Offense

WR (3) – (S Johnson); D. Nelson; ? – Nelson as a #3

TE – (S. Chandler)

RB – F. Jackson or Spiller – both fit the task

QB – R Fitzpatrick

LT – (D. Bell) – question if he can stay healthy

LG – A. Levitre

C – E. Wood

RG – K Urbik

RT – E Pears

Defense

DE (2) – C Kelsay; ? – Most folks will not agree with Kelsay, but I think he is solid, but not spectacular

DT (2) – K Williams; M. Dareus

MLB - ?

OLB (2) – N Barnett; ?

CB (2) - ?; ? – Not sure that McGee can stay healthy and if Florence is really a solid starter

SS – G. Wilson

FS – J Byrd

Florence sucks... Shepperd starts at middle

I disagree that Sheppard is a slam dunk starter next season. Where is all the love coming from for him? I thought he did next to nothing last year. He was either out of position, or was being swallowed up and being put on his back by an O lineman on many plays. I would want to see a whole lot more out of him before I annoint him as a starter.

Our defense was terrible last year. We have three solid NFL starters in the front seven in Barnett, K Williams and Dareus. Kelsay is decent enuf to be a solid rotational guy at DE. But we need some major upgrades at LB and DE, Whether from the draft or free agency.

I just did not see much from Sheppard that shows me he has upside to be a constant difference maker at the NFL level.

I agree that Aaron Williams looks like he has starter potential at CB. But we need to get rid of Florence. He is terrible. We can keep McKelvin as depth. And McGee can still make plays if healthy. But that is probably too much of a question mark at this stage of his career judging by the past two seasons. My god, I sure hope we are active in free agency because we have LOTS of HOLES to fill, kind of like we do EVERY SINGLE year.

Either Hairston, who started for Bell while he was out, or a high draft choice (could be Reiff or Martin in the 1st).

meh...Hairston is a nice backup and good be solid at RT. I am not sold on Reiff or Martin and neither is worthy of the #10 selection. Besides, they would both be rookies starting at LT. And we need pass rushers first and foremost. Watch the Giants. That is how they win and that is how you beat the Patsies

meh...Hairston is a nice backup and good be solid at RT. I am not sold on Reiff or Martin and neither is worthy of the #10 selection. Besides, they would both be rookies starting at LT. And we need pass rushers first and foremost. Watch the Giants. That is how they win and that is how you beat the Patsies

With Bell's inability to stay healthy what difference would it make? Percentages say Hairston will be starting the majority of the games anyway.

Also, I've yet to see Reiff or Martin ranked where they wouldn't be worthy of the #10 pick.

I don't like the idea of picking for need, so taking a pass rusher just because he's a pass rusher can come back to bite you. A big part of the the Giants game is pass rush, but the Bills beat the Patriots this past season, so apparently there's more than one way to skin a cat. Besides, said pass rusher that you're drafting would be a rookie also.

Edited by Carey Bender

Defense

LE - Carrington / Johnson

DT - Marcel / Troup

DT - Kyle Williams / Heard

RE - 1st round Drafted / Kelsey

LB - Merrimen / Moats

ML - Barnett

RL - Sheppard

CB - Aaron Williams / McKelvin / 4th round Drafted

CB - Florence / Rogers

SS - Wilson / Scott

FS - Byrd / Sergcy ( However you spell it )

Offense

LT - 2nd round drafted

LG - Levitre

C- Wood

RG - Urbik

RT - Pears

TE - Chandler

QB - Fitz

RB - Spiller

WR - Johnson

WR - Free agent

WR - Jones / Nelson / Easley / 3rd round drafted

If we play a 4-3, Barnett will definitely start at MLB

Hopefully we sign Avril and draft an OLB

Avril, Dareus, Williams and Kelsay upfront

Sheppard, Barnett and Rookie (Upshaw?) at LB

I think in a 4-3 Sheppard is a better fit inside and Barnett outside. Think back to the Posey-Fletcher-Spikes days. Your SLB (Posey/????) is a slightly bigger guy who can take on the TE/FB/RT. Your MLB (Fletcher/Sheppard) needs to be able to thump downhill, but also drop into coverage--Sheppard's coverage could use some work, but his run stopping is his strength. Your WLB (Spikes/Barnett) needs to have the athleticism to excel in all three phases. Pass rush, coverage and run game.

If all goes well:

QB- Kirkpatrick

RB - FJ/Spiller

WR - SJ

WR - Manningham/Meacham **

WR - D. Nelson

WR - Easley

WR - Jones

TE - Chandler/ Shianco **

LT- Bell/Haiston - Bell's worth the injury risk & Haiston is insurance

LG- Levitre

C- Wood

RG - Urbick

RT - Pears

LE - Kelsay/Carrington

DT - K. Williams

DT - Dareus

RE - M. Williams/Mathis **

ROLB - Barnett

MLB - Shepherd

LOLB - Zach Brown *

CB - A. Williams

CB - Stephon Gilmore *

FS - Byrd

SS - Wilson/Searcy

* Denotes hopeful draft picks

* * Denotes hopeful FA acquisitions.

Agreed.