About Upshaw the Alabama OLB

I know this isnt gonna be popular but I was watching tape on him the other day and honestly he looked slow as a pass rusher and blockable with one guy. Is anybody else seeing this?

I dont want to use that 1st round pick on someone who isnt going to be a immediate starter and playmaker for this team.......even if the position is corner (and I hate drafting 1st round corners) if there is a special talent at a defensive position...I think that is where we should go.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this isnt gonna be popular but I was watching tape on him the other day and honestly he looked slow as a pass rusher and blockable with one guy. Is anybody else seeing this?

I dont want to use that 1st round pick on someone who isnt going to be a immediate starter and playmaker for this team.......even if the position is corner (and I hate drafting 1st round corners) if there is a special talent at a defensive position...I think that is where we should go.

I think he'll be good. People said the same thing about Von Miller. Another interesting choice is the WR Blackmen (sp) from Ok State. If you want the top playmaker, I have no problem w/ that as long as its an every down playmaker (ie. not Spiller/Maybin type, but a A.J Green/Dalton type).

If this is the case, you know the Bills will pick him. They can try and trade him to the Jets for Maybin if it does not work out. Seriously, the draft is dead in the town until they get a franchise QB.

I'm looking foward to it. I like the last two drafts compared to jauron drafts.

If this is the case, you know the Bills will pick him. They can try and trade him to the Jets for Maybin if it does not work out. Seriously, the draft is dead in the town until they get a franchise QB.

You mean Fitz is not a franchise QB? I thought the hallmark of success is overthrowning wide open receivers down the field and only being able to complete short passes. :rolleyes:

I agree. We NEED a top QB. Fitz overthrew several people yesterday. Perahps Johnson drops the ball because it's actually where it's suppossed to be. I'm all for Griffen from Baylor. The guy has all the tools of a franchise QB. Smart, leader, responsible, great athlete, can pass in the pocket, rocket arm/accurracy.

I think he'll be good. People said the same thing about Von Miller. Another interesting choice is the WR Blackmen (sp) from Ok State. If you want the top playmaker, I have no problem w/ that as long as its an every down playmaker (ie. not Spiller/Maybin type, but a A.J Green/Dalton type).

The thing about Von Miller is they are not the same type of player...Von Miller is a freaky athletic pass rusher and has been from day one.....people were just worried about him being undersized.

Two different problems for these two players to me.

Upshaw is not Miller when it comes to pure edge pass rushing. But I dont know any other players that are. And if you want to wait for another Miller until you draft an OLB, then we will be waiting a long time.

Upshaw is still a playmaker and would start from Day 1. Remember, we wont be drafting at #2 or #3. If we could grab Upshaw at/around #9 that would be perfect.

He's strong and hits like a truck. He can also play the run!

The thing about Von Miller is they are not the same type of player...Von Miller is a freaky athletic pass rusher and has been from day one.....people were just worried about him being undersized.

Two different problems for these two players to me.

What do you think about just taking the top 4 down playmaker left, regardless of position? I'd be for that (this team has a LOT of holes to fill.).

John, Upshaw is a complete linebacker, and he weighs over 260. He provides a ton of pressure and has to be accounted for on every play.

Not only that, he has a ton of tackles behind the los on running plays. Alabama concentrates very much on stopping the run.

He will be quite the player for some lucky team.

Very slim chance that Blackmon falls to us. Slim to none. Regarding upshaw, I like his tenacity and size. I like his college system. I don't like his speed as a pass rusher and it seems like every time i see him get a sack, he's just running in there un blocked. I haven't watch much alabama this year, so I may be off base with that comment. If we pick top 8, I'd prefer to trade down if we are dead set on a LB. Id be happy taking a qb, Jeffery, kalil maybe Martin, Kirkpatrick or Claiborne. If matheiu is a special player as well. Another thing our FO will look at, is what positions will have some top talent stil available in rd 2. If they like an OLB pegged to go rd 2, I'd rather them take bpa at a need position in rd 1. I don't view upshaw as a top 10 talent in this draft.

<br />Why don't we wait until we see where we're picking before deciding whether or not a player will fall to us?<br />
the seasons over. It's time to talk about the draft. It's what we do here. What would you prefer to talk about? Firing George Edwards? Chan sucks, Ralph is cheap? Should resign Stevie and Fred? Been there done that, it's time to discuss the draft. Draft position won't be set for weeks, so we shouldn't talk about the draft because we dont know where we're picking?

the seasons over. It's time to talk about the draft. It's what we do here. What would you prefer to talk about? Firing George Edwards? Chan sucks, Ralph is cheap? Should resign Stevie and Fred? Been there done that, it's time to discuss the draft. Draft position won't be set for weeks, so we shouldn't talk about the draft because we dont know where we're picking?

Too much coffee today?

You can talk about the draft all you want, I encourage it. A statement was made that a player wouldn't fall to the Bills pick. I'm saying making that specific statement isn't very logical since we dont know where the Bills are picking. Especially since it's very possible the Bills may not win another game and pick very high.

Also, I don't think Mathieu is draft eligible as he is a true sophomore.

Edited by Carey Bender

Discussing the draft has nothing to do with how the Bills are doing. They are independent. Even if the Bills were 12-0, Id still be discussing the draft as I love college football, and no matter what, the Draft IS going to happen come April. Its never too early to start discussing/watching potential picks.

Way too early to say but I bet Blackmon won't be around when we pick.... I could see him going #2 to Saint Louis.

John, Upshaw is a complete linebacker, and he weighs over 260. He provides a ton of pressure and has to be accounted for on every play.

Not only that, he has a ton of tackles behind the los on running plays. Alabama concentrates very much on stopping the run.

He will be quite the player for some lucky team.

It does seem that almost every defensive player from Alabama is pro ready. However, it is a lot easier to make plays when you are surrounded by studs. IMO, it is similar to Qbs from USC. They rarely face pressure, play in perfect conditions, and throw to blue chips. It's not like that in the NFL. Given how good Bama's d line is, Upshaw rarely takes on blockers head on.

I'm not saying he won't be a good player but there are a ton of guys who were studs in college who don't translate. IMO, the speed is a very big concern (Brandon Spikes for instance).

It does seem that almost every defensive player from Alabama is pro ready. However, it is a lot easier to make plays when you are surrounded by studs. IMO, it is similar to Qbs from USC. They rarely face pressure, play in perfect conditions, and throw to blue chips. It's not like that in the NFL. Given how good Bama's d line is, Upshaw rarely takes on blockers head on.

I'm not saying he won't be a good player but there are a ton of guys who were studs in college who don't translate. IMO, the speed is a very big concern (Brandon Spikes for instance).

Playing the OLB spot with his hand often in the ground, Upshaw REGULARLY takes on blockers head on. He does not hide behind the DLine like the ILBs (Johnson and Hightower). Rather he is part of that DLine that makes those players so successful.