I am calling it now...I am behind you CJ Spiller

WR's typically take time to develop, often as much as three years. RB's shouldn't be, but here Spiller is getting about five touches a game in 25 career games. The fact Gailey has so little faith in a ninth overall pick speaks volumes. Especially when you consider plenty of teams feature two backs prominently.

CJ was getting about 2 carries per game and the occasional pass target. A better ball from Fitz a couple weeks ago and he would have had a huge gainer if not a TD. Sometimes RBs DO take a couple years to develop and it usually has to do with blitz pickups and learning complicated schemes and reading NFL defenses to pick the best running lanes.

He has an abundance of natural talent. Now Gailey has no choice but to play the kid and see what he's got. That is perhaps the ONLY thing good about this situation. I hate hiding guys, especially high draft picks, on the bench and not giving them a chance because the incumbent is THE GUY. He's not a QB where you only use one guy as long as he is healthy.

Speaking of QB's how about Fitz vs Edwards? We were told that Trent was the better QB especially in practice. Well, how did that work out? Fitz has had his recent struggles in large part due to the injuries to our WR core and O-line but he is worlds better than Edwards in my opinion. The guy never got a chance until Edwards absolutely 100%, without question or room for discussion proved he WASN'T the guy. Sadly a Fred Jackson extended injury is possibly the only scenario where CJ was going to get enough playing time to get adjusted to LIVE nfl games that count.

It's sickening to me that people are labeling him a bust already when all he has done is put up good numbers in the INCREDIBLY limited time he has been given in game situations. He is not no show Maybi-not who has even found a role in NY. How about we see the kid perform before we slap that on him? I've been to the games. I've heard the crap this kid has to listen too. All he is trying to do like any of the players is to play football. He was catching hell from day 1 from people before he ever took a snap instead getting support from fans of the team that drafted HIM!

Let's see what depth we have to work with. GO BILLS!!

I don't know where this keeps coming from?

Fitz is 6th in the league in completion % at 63.6%.

If his receivers could catch his % would be higher. He is already 6th in completion %, what the hell do you guys want? Perfection?

Thank you for the dose of reality!

Some of these jokers have turned on him so fast it's a shame. We had crap for WR's when the season started and the only ones with any speed, 4.3 are on injured reserve. Stevie has been nursing injuries and has been having trouble with double coverage. When we were running legit 4 and 5 WR sets he was only getting single coverage which he was pretty good against. 10 dropped passes by the 3rd quarter last week doesn't help the offensive flow and provide continuity. We know Fitz was able to do it when he had the targets out there getting open earlier in the year. What changed? WR's started dropping like flies and the ones left started dropping balls.

Edited by PDaDdy

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see any way we win this game either, but not sure it matters since we're obviously not good enough to compete for a SB anyway. So int he meantime, let's put this "CJ doesn't get enough opportunities" to rest and give the kid the rock. If he doesn't get 22-26+ carries, I'll be disappointed.

Well, be prepared to be disappointed then...you realize, Jackson has only carried the ball 20 or more times in 3 games this year? KC, Philly and Washington...and the Bills won all three of them! I wonder of Chan knows that!

WR's typically take time to develop, often as much as three years. RB's shouldn't be, but here Spiller is getting about five touches a game in 25 career games. The fact Gailey has so little faith in a ninth overall pick speaks volumes. Especially when you consider plenty of teams feature two backs prominently.

No offense, but I don't think Chan is the "mastermind" that people make him out to be, particularly when it comes to using players at the best of their abilities.

You're telling me he couldn't find anything useful for Maybin to do other than special teams? Say what you will about Rex, but he found a spot for Maybin to at least be slightly useful.

My feeling is Chan is too stubborn to give kids a chance unless a gaping hole causes it.

Well, be prepared to be disappointed then...you realize, Jackson has only carried the ball 20 or more times in 3 games this year? KC, Philly and Washington...and the Bills won all three of them! I wonder of Chan knows that!

I would be curious to know how many plays we ran in those games vs lately. I haven't run the numbers but I bet that Jackson's carries as a percentage of all plays is quite possibly about the same. That being said even just 20 carries a game would put Jackson at 320 carries on the year. That is not sustainable for a 30 year old RB under 230+ lbs.

If your defense can't stop the opponent from scoring a TD every time they have the ball in the first half then you aren't going to win by sticking to the run. So....your inference is pointless.

There are vulnerable defenses who need limited exposure to succeed, and then there is the 2011 Bills defense. They haven't made a stop while the outcome was in doubt in about a month.

1.Cj's lack of confidence and ABILITY to make the change to the NFL level

2.Buffalo's beat up patched together offensive line

3.Ryan Fitzpatrick's inaccuracy

4.Buffalo's WR's are beat up and now we have practice squad players playing

5.The Jets Defense is big fast and physical

Nothing but bad things again this week for Buffalo.

Sorry, but it's the truth.

you're just being a Debbie Downer. Bills win by two TDs!

If your defense can't stop the opponent from scoring a TD every time they have the ball in the first half then you aren't going to win by sticking to the run. So....your inference is pointless.

There are vulnerable defenses who need limited exposure to succeed, and then there is the 2011 Bills defense. They haven't made a stop while the outcome was in doubt in about a month.

Maybe...but if you run the ball more, get first downs on the ground, you minimize the number of possessions your opponent has, thus, perhaps, cutting down the number of drives that your defense can't stop their offense...I am not sure if you have watched all the games, but if you have, you hadn't noticed that the Bills are a "pass first" team? There are times when it comes out of necessity, but, I would argue, the Bills abandoned any notion of a running game a few too many times this season...

Anyways, if you think the defense is as awful as you say (and I wouldn't argue with you) my point is valid...AJ said he will be disappointed if Spiller doesn't carry the ball 22-26 times a game...he won't, if things continue as they have, either because, as I say, Chan likes to throw the ball, or, as you say, the defense sucks, and can't stop anyone...so, AJ is likely to be disappointed...which was my point! :rolleyes:

I would argue that each of the last three weeks, the run game was abandoned prematurely...and the pass game just wasn't working.

Edited by Buftex

Good point. I should probably say 22-26+ touches instead of carries. That's more realistic.

I'll be damned if I'm gonna watch any of these guys come out half-assed again like they did vs. Miami last week. If they aren't showing some fight this week, then it's *click* over to the RedZone channel for me. If we lose, we lose...but I want to at least see them care.

No offense, but I don't think Chan is the "mastermind" that people make him out to be, particularly when it comes to using players at the best of their abilities.

You're telling me he couldn't find anything useful for Maybin to do other than special teams? Say what you will about Rex, but he found a spot for Maybin to at least be slightly useful.

My feeling is Chan is too stubborn to give kids a chance unless a gaping hole causes it.

Maybin has been shut out since the game before the Bills game. He is NOWHERE, and he was making to much money to stay on the Bills, bad for the locker room. Think about it a little bit.

I'm worried. Deeply worried. Fred was more than a running back. He did it all. Run, receive, AND block. His loss is going to hurt this team a lot! Also the salary negotiation could be affected by this injury. I hope all works out well, but I see bad things happening.

perspective is everything

The Bills will screw it up and Fred will go to NE

great for Fred and Brady

sucks to be a Bills fan

Spiller is already a bust. Johnny White.

With Urbik, Rinehart, and Levitre--We need to run the ball. That is a lot of beef and power in the middle of the line. Make it easy on Urbik playing center for the first time and go back to a two back set with McIntyre and Johnny White. Pound it.

Everyone's thoughts on CJ is "If he doesn't step it up now then he's out." All he gets is negative energy. This guy is in his second year and hasn't gotten the ball to show anything. I've definitely noticed a difference in CJ this year as to last year(when he has the ball). I feel that he knows he's not hitting a home run everytime up. He definitely needs some more development but we haven't seen enough to judge. I think the question should be,"What if he succeeds?" What do we do in the offseason if CJ actually holds it down these last 6 weeks. What if he finds the same flow that Freddy was running with. I like CJ and I like Freddy, but CJ is young and now is his first real opportunity. I have faith in CJ!!!!!!!

Successful organization do not sign players over 30 to long term contracts. Freddie is an amazing story but you can't fight age. I don't care how many hits or lack of hits he has had he is a RB over the age of 30. I hope CJ lights it up because this team needs to spend the limited dollars RW will spend on a top tier WR and/or OLB in FA.