Colin Cowherd Show "I don't like Buffalo..

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well ... yea, I have 'Buffalo Pride!'

Clearly Colin is not going off the ESPN airwaves unless his ratings collapse and his brand of 'let's talk colin' rather than let's talk sports goes counter to the other programming on ESPN.

However, my point is that for all the whining about Cowherd, Buffalo fans living in Western New York can have an impact as to whether WGR carries the show or not. I realize that this might be a hard concept for you to understand but local businesses are trying to sell to local customers and if their business is associated with something that the local market does not like then they can lose customers. Therefore if a significant number of customers (Again, it is clear from your posting that you may not understand all of this but others do.) inform a local business or businesses that they will not 'do business' with them because of the negative association there is a good chance the business will disassociate. That's happening today on ESPN as a major advertiser did not want to be associated with the Penn State game.

So now you want to punish local businesses because of Cowherd?

I didn't say you shouldn't have "Buffalo Pride", but there is a point where you can have too much tied into it, no? No city with real strength would get so upset about some national DJ occasionally commenting that he doesn't think their football team is good, or that it is too small of a market. He has often said that it would be very sad if the Bills left Buffalo etc.

Any Buffalo comments he has made are COMMON opinions, found elsewhere in the media, right or wrong?

I can understand the appeal based on what you said, and there are times when I do like some of the topics he brings up, but read what Butftex wrote below (errr, above). His lack of passion breeds hypocrisy at times, I think. He's too much of a bandwagon jumper for my taste, and I honestly don't think he can relate at ALL to people who either come from a smaller market or are passionate about a small market team. At least with guys like Mike and Mike I know where they stand. Little Mike is obviously a huge Jets fan, but I've heard him give props to B-lo plenty of times in the past. He respects the Bills, and I think a lot of that is because he knows what it is to be a fan. A LOYAL fan. Cowherd is a front runner, and he modifies his position based on what the "facts" tell him to do so that he can be in the right...whatever that means.

Pay attention to something...the next time you hear his show and he has a guest on, listen to how Cowherd will frame the conversation before it even starts. He'll introduce the guest, mention the topic, and then discuss HIS view before he listens to the guest. It's almost as if he wants to prime the guest to either agree with his position or not take a position that is so far removed from Colin's that it makes him look bad lol.

I'm not saying I don't like his show, cause I do. I just can't relate to the guy a lot of the time and I don't really have as much respect for him as I do others.

:lol: Dude, the Mavs win last year was one of the most satisfying events I've ever witnessed in sports, and I'm not even a huge NBA guy. I am usually all about trash talk, and I LOVED that we had those big mouths in Miami to keep it interesting, but that just makes it all the sweeter when they couldn't finish.

I have only been able to see SportsNation recently, and I totally agree about Beadle on both counts. You can tell that she's legit when it comes to havign an interest in sports, and she knows what she's talking about. Aside from that, she's very easy on the eyes. :thumbsup:

I know all that.

Cowherd's show is way more insightful, and compelling than Mike&Mike. I could care less how loyal of a fan any of these guys are, it has no bearing on how well they perform a show. M&M are dull, and the way they deal with topics is shallow to me. Mike Golic is not a "deep thinker", but most people aren't, are they?

Cowherd questions himself and his actions, and will bring up uncomfortable events from his past. This is a huge part of what fuels his show, and what makes it unique among sports radio. It is similar to Howard Stern in that respect.

Mike Golic is the opposite. He rarely questions himself, and KNOWS "what's right and wrong", and thinks in "black and white". And what do you know, Mike Golic agrees with all the "lunch pail" carrying folks out there in middle America! I believe he really does, but I also find it condescending.

Frankly, I relate more to Cowherd than Golic, I assume that's not the case with many here.

I'm not listening to the show to hear about the Bills! I find it annoying that he has no "favorite team", but instead just wants sports drama. I can see that it's a reasonable attitude for a talk show host though. Many guys in the media that have had years of behind the scenes access have that attitude. They have dealt with pro athletes and there is no longer any "magic", the "fan-boy" is gone.

It's not a "fan-based" show. It's a popular culture show that uses sports as a platform.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

I haven't listened to this D-bag in a long, long,time. He has a face you'd love to punch doesn't he? I will say this, he fits perfectly on that station.

I agree 100%. I gave him a shot and hated everything about him: his voice, his snugness, and he just takes the opposite approach to get a reaction. He is a jock sniffer who has never played a sport in his life.

The biggest shame is he is paired with Michelle Beadle. She is awesome (perfect girl IMO) and knows her sports. But because I want to punch him in the face, I can't watch the show.

I agree 100%. I gave him a shot and hated everything about him: his voice, his snugness, and he just takes the opposite approach to get a reaction. He is a jock sniffer who has never played a sport in his life.

The biggest shame is he is paired with Michelle Beadle. She is awesome (perfect girl IMO) and knows her sports. But because I want to punch him in the face, I can't watch the show.

:lol:

Well ... yea, I have 'Buffalo Pride!'

Clearly Colin is not going off the ESPN airwaves unless his ratings collapse and his brand of 'let's talk colin' rather than let's talk sports goes counter to the other programming on ESPN.

However, my point is that for all the whining about Cowherd, Buffalo fans living in Western New York can have an impact as to whether WGR carries the show or not. I realize that this might be a hard concept for you to understand but local businesses are trying to sell to local customers and if their business is associated with something that the local market does not like then they can lose customers. Therefore if a significant number of customers (Again, it is clear from your posting that you may not understand all of this but others do.) inform a local business or businesses that they will not 'do business' with them because of the negative association there is a good chance the business will disassociate. That's happening today on ESPN as a major advertiser did not want to be associated with the Penn State game.

Personally, I could care less if Cowherd doesn't think the Bills are any good...sometimes I don't either. I just think he is kind of an !@#$, and his lack of stance, or position on anything make listening to him pretty useless. His approach is cynical, and joyless. That can be funny, but with him, it just isn't. The guy does not have a funny bone in his body. I think it is funny that someone in this thread, is saying he is "well-traveled" and "smart". I hear no evidence of that, other than he tells us that. Obviously, there are people who enjoy him. But, keep in mind, there was a time when the Fabulous Sports Babe was the #1 rated sports talk personality in the US.

I don't really need to hear about the Bills and Sabres constantly. I am interested in the NFL, NBA and NHL...so I like hearing it all. In fact, I can only tolerate GR, even when they are talking about 2 of my 3 teams (Celtics are #3), in small doses. There is really only so much you can say. Problem with Cowherd, all the ESPN radio guys in fact, is that it seems (like their news counterparts at FOX) they are given "talking points" for the day, and that is what all of them talk about that day. Mike & Mike are firs, so, in some ways, maybe that makes them more tolerable. You haven't heard the same thing a hundred times already, when they come on.

Hearing Cowherd talk about his divorce is mind numbingly brutal. Whenever he brings up his ex, I just think, "that poor lady..."

What I think/hope happens is Cowherds ego gets so big, that he leaves ESPN, and he disappears.

Personally, I could care less if Cowherd doesn't think the Bills are any good...sometimes I don't either. I just think he is kind of an !@#$, and his lack of stance, or position on anything make listening to him pretty useless. His approach is cynical, and joyless. That can be funny, but with him, it just isn't. The guy does not have a funny bone in his body. I think it is funny that someone in this thread, is saying he is "well-traveled" and "smart". I hear no evidence of that, other than he tells us that. Obviously, there are people who enjoy him. But, keep in mind, there was a time when the Fabulous Sports Babe was the #1 rated sports talk personality in the US.

I don't really need to hear about the Bills and Sabres constantly. I am interested in the NFL, NBA and NHL...so I like hearing it all. In fact, I can only tolerate GR, even when they are talking about 2 of my 3 teams (Celtics are #3), in small doses. There is really only so much you can say. Problem with Cowherd, all the ESPN radio guys in fact, is that it seems (like their news counterparts at FOX) they are given "talking points" for the day, and that is what all of them talk about that day. Mike & Mike are firs, so, in some ways, maybe that makes them more tolerable. You haven't heard the same thing a hundred times already, when they come on.

Hearing Cowherd talk about his divorce is mind numbingly brutal. Whenever he brings up his ex, I just think, "that poor lady..."

What I think/hope happens is Cowherds ego gets so big, that he leaves ESPN, and he disappears.

Again, 100% in agreement. You totally nailed it when you said "cynical and joyless". Those are PERFECT descriptors for the guy. I remember back when I lived in Philly, I listened to talk radio (610 WIP) throughout the day, all day. One of my favorite times to listen was late at night when I was working security. You had all the polished and established guys on in the daytime and into the early evening, but then late at night you had the radio guys who were trying to find their way, get more experience, etc. I remember listening to this guy Paul Jolowitz (sp?). He didn't have a great radio voice, but the guy was just genuine and funny and he LOVED sports. I would take a guy like that over Cowherd any day. I rarely call into sports radio shows, but I used to call this guy every so often cause it was when the Bills were sort of regrouping for their second run in the 90s. He didn't know much about the Bills, but he engaged me in the conversation, entertained my ideas, and respected what I had to say. Then he went to the next all and everyone laughed at something else he said. I may have been the only guy in Philly listening to and enjoying this guy, but I thought his show was a blast! I'd much rather listen to that than I would a robot like Cowherd.

Perhaps you need a.....roomier sports guy?

I know he's the Anti-Christ on this board, but he's been proven right about both the Bills & the Cowboys so far this year!

Yeah, I think you are missing the point. I don't think anyone here really has a problem with him thinking the Bills are no good...look on this board, many Bills fans feel the same way. It isn't even that he only cares about big market teams, or superstar players...it is ESPN, we get that. Why I find him so repusive, he constantly tells you why small market teams don't matter, and why teams that don't have superstar players are irrelevent. It is all ratings and numbers to him...and he says that, over and over.

One time, during the NHL playoffs a few years ago, he took calls. Rare, because that would take attention away from him...I think he was expecting lots of NBA playof talk, but,heaven forbid, somebody snuck a hockey topic in their call. He spent the next half hour telling them that hockey is irrelevant, and only draws a minimal share in the ratings, so, talking about how irrelevant hockey is, is more relevant, than talking about the game of hockey. Because, after all, as he will remind you over and over he "runs a national show that caters to a national audience...San Diego doesn't care what some bitter, miserable, cold, North Easterner has to say about the New Jersey Devils playoff run.

The Bills could be 8-0 right now, but, by his criteria, the Philadelphia Eagles are a better team, because they have lots of big name players, which are "good for ESPN, good for ESPN radio, and good for me"...and, after all, they are in a major market. It is one thing to be a self-obsessed !@#$, it is another to brag about it, or pretend it makes you superior.

Last Christmas, a day or two after, he was the only ESPN radio personality on the air,live that day. We had him on at work. He spent virtually the whole show talking about how he is an "A-type personality, I hate this time of year. I want to be a mover and shaker, but when everyone is taking time off for the holidays, I can't getting anything done...I can't "move and shake" like I do the other 51 weeks of the year." He seriously went on and on like that, for hours...letting everyone know, he got where he was, because he is "always working, always looking for an angle to improve his career"...thanks Colin...next time do us other 99% a favor and stay home...even death needs to take a holiday from time to time.

To each his own I guess, but I seriously can't fathom why anyone thinks he is entertaining.

I really have tried...still the worst, as far as I am concerned.

That's all I have to say about that.... :lol:

Edited by Buftex

That's what I LIKE about his show. That's the concept.

Mike and Mike aren't good. Mike Golic, I can't bear him. You can always count on him to have the safest, middle of the road opinion. He is there to appeal to the "regular guy" and it's pure schtick. Those annoying "Abbott and Costello"-style ads. "Mr. Brat". A conservative, family-values, hard-workin', bratwurst eating guy, "just like you and me". Bleech!

Cowherd is way smarter, and well-travelled than those guys, and his show (and audience) reflect that.

I know all that.

Cowherd's show is way more insightful, and compelling than Mike&Mike. I could care less how loyal of a fan any of these guys are, it has no bearing on how well they perform a show. M&M are dull, and the way they deal with topics is shallow to me. Mike Golic is not a "deep thinker", but most people aren't, are they?

Cowherd questions himself and his actions, and will bring up uncomfortable events from his past. This is a huge part of what fuels his show, and what makes it unique among sports radio. It is similar to Howard Stern in that respect.

Mike Golic is the opposite. He rarely questions himself, and KNOWS "what's right and wrong", and thinks in "black and white". And what do you know, Mike Golic agrees with all the "lunch pail" carrying folks out there in middle America! I believe he really does, but I also find it condescending.

Frankly, I relate more to Cowherd than Golic, I assume that's not the case with many here.

I'm not listening to the show to hear about the Bills! I find it annoying that he has no "favorite team", but instead just wants sports drama. I can see that it's a reasonable attitude for a talk show host though. Many guys in the media that have had years of behind the scenes access have that attitude. They have dealt with pro athletes and there is no longer any "magic", the "fan-boy" is gone.

It's not a "fan-based" show. It's a popular culture show that uses sports as a platform.

I like the gist of your points. I can tolerate him in doses for a lot of the same reasons. His "look at the facts and take the emotion out of it" theory appeals to the economics major, poker player in me. And I'm pretty much with you on Mike&Mike. It's nice that they're like 2 guys talking sports in a bar, but it's sort of useless to me because I can just talk to my friends at a bar and learn or be entertained just as much.

I just lost a lot of respect for Cowherd last year & haven't listened much since the pathetic Aaron Rodgers backpedal. For 20 straight weeks it was "what's so great about this guy, he's never won a playoff game?" He even argued with one email saying the Jets wouldn't trade Mark Sanchez for him! Then after the SB all of the sudden it was "oh well all I said was that he wasn't as good Brady". Ya Colin, Brady, Sanchize, same thing. Man up and eat crow ffs.

I like the gist of your points. I can tolerate him in doses for a lot of the same reasons. His "look at the facts and take the emotion out of it" theory appeals to the economics major, poker player in me. And I'm pretty much with you on Mike&Mike. It's nice that they're like 2 guys talking sports in a bar, but it's sort of useless to me because I can just talk to my friends at a bar and learn or be entertained just as much.

I just lost a lot of respect for Cowherd last year & haven't listened much since the pathetic Aaron Rodgers backpedal. For 20 straight weeks it was "what's so great about this guy, he's never won a playoff game?" He even argued with one email saying the Jets wouldn't trade Mark Sanchez for him! Then after the SB all of the sudden it was "oh well all I said was that he wasn't as good Brady". Ya Colin, Brady, Sanchize, same thing. Man up and eat crow ffs.

I can't stand that about him either!

BUT,it doesn't ruin the show for me. All the Sports Talk guys try to take a stance, and often times you can sense that they don't necessarily FIRMLY believe them. But they have to stir up listeners. M&M are just as phony, with each of them picking a side. Golic the conservative, straight opinion, the other guy a little to the left....YAWN. JT the Brick always tries to incite fans to "defend the honor of their teams"...YAWN.

Cowherd takes a different tack, but so many Buffalonian's have overreacted, that it has to be obvious to him that it is driving his ratings there. I mentioned the J. Sullivan, and Mike & the Bulldog comparisions. It works.

I can't stand "ratings talk" or things like "wow, look how much the Super Bowl ads are going for this year". Ugh!

I have a hard time believing that most of the hard feelings expressed on this board aren't based on what he says about Buffalo. I spent most of my life there and know how sensitive people are. The one poster wants to PUNISH LOCAL BUSINESSES for advertising during his show. Great idea!

Edited by Matthews' Bag