Keys to a Bills Victory Sunday

The basics for me...

Run the ball, kill some clock, make some good passes....and RESPECT the other team...Play within yourself.

I dont care if the score is 35-31 or 3-0...JUST PLAY 60 minutes on both sides of the field!

Cheers

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills start a tough November swing this Sunday against the hated Jets. In November they have the Jets twice, the Cowpokes, and fortunately the "Suck for Luck" Dolphins. 3 of those games are on the road. It's a tough stretch and one the Bills will hopefully come out of 3-1. If they go 3-1 they will be in good shape for a playoff slot. That said, here are some of what I feel are the keys the the Bills against the NJ Jets:

1. Pressure Mark Sanchez -- the Jets receivers (Holmes, Burress, & Kellar) are much better than what they faced last week against the Skins and if Sanchez has time, he will connect on some deep balls. With the exception of the Skins game, the Bills DB's have not shown the ability to shut down receivers so we need to pressure Sanchez in order to force quick, inaccurate throws.

2. Run the Ball - The Jets have been stout against the pass (hate to say it, but Revis is a true shut down corner), but can be run on. The Jets "D" will over-pursue so maybe some misdirection with runs will work.

3. Use screen passes & the tight end -- The Bills run a great screen pass and it can be effective against the Jets. Additionally, Chandler can help move the chains with short passes if he is used.

4. Make the Jets drive the length of the field, no turnovers, no long passes -- If the Jets have to have long, multiplay drives to score I believe somewhere along the way Sachez will screw it up.

IMO - if the Bills can do these things, we come away with a victory.

Go Bills!!!

If they can rattle Sanchez, run the ball effectively and avoid turnovers, I think we win the game. And I don't want to see any big special teams plays from the jets either.

After the Redskins game, one Washington defensive player said that the Bills did exactly what they expected them to do. Despite the fact that the Bills were predictable, they couldn't stop them. This got me thinking. Given the terrible matchup issues the Bills have had with the Jets over the last couple of seasons, does anyone think that the whatever new offensive wrinkles the Bills might have come up with were being kept under wraps for the Jets?

By this time of year teams know what to expect. Chan might have a few twists but this game will be won or lost in the trenches. We need to win the turnover battle and play hardnose football against the Jets.

1. I think we can run on them if we are patient.

2. We need to get lots of pressure on Sanchez.

Edited by Bob in STL

Guy makes some decent points but not surprisingly his analysis is incomplete and he misses a lot of other factors. He picks Jets. Anyway I thought most interesting point re: Bills was comparing them to the 2009 Saints, where you have a ball hawking D that takes chances to get the ball back in the hands of a high powered offense. Bills don't have Saints pass rush (sans last week), so more of their turnovers are created w/ tips and secondary maneuvers. But the offense very much resembles Saints with a versatile back, a decisive QB running an uptempo, mostly mid range passing attack that makes full use of all receiving targets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsZncMl0quY&feature=channel_video_title

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Did you hear that?

Buffalo's HIGH POWERED OFFENSE! :worthy:

I heard that. Also the favorable comparison to the 2009 NO Saints.

No surprise that he

I'm not sure he understands how the Bills offense differs from the Pats. He's right that the Jets are really good at taking away short and midrange stuff - it's how they frustrated Brady in the playoffs last year. I think the Bills have an answer to that because it's not just the Welker and Gronkowski show for us, and I also think the Jets have lost a couple steps from last year, but we'll see on Sunday.

I also think he fails to recognize that we've been reasonably effective at stopping the run this year - he talks as if it's all on the Jets whether they "open the playbook" or not vs. what the Bills D allows.

So we'll see!

The Bills start a tough November swing this Sunday against the hated Jets. In November they have the Jets twice, the Cowpokes, and fortunately the "Suck for Luck" Dolphins. 3 of those games are on the road. It's a tough stretch and one the Bills will hopefully come out of 3-1. If they go 3-1 they will be in good shape for a playoff slot. That said, here are some of what I feel are the keys the the Bills against the NJ Jets:

1. Pressure Mark Sanchez -- the Jets receivers (Holmes, Burress, & Kellar) are much better than what they faced last week against the Skins and if Sanchez has time, he will connect on some deep balls. With the exception of the Skins game, the Bills DB's have not shown the ability to shut down receivers so we need to pressure Sanchez in order to force quick, inaccurate throws.

2. Run the Ball - The Jets have been stout against the pass (hate to say it, but Revis is a true shut down corner), but can be run on. The Jets "D" will over-pursue so maybe some misdirection with runs will work.

3. Use screen passes & the tight end -- The Bills run a great screen pass and it can be effective against the Jets. Additionally, Chandler can help move the chains with short passes if he is used.

4. Make the Jets drive the length of the field, no turnovers, no long passes -- If the Jets have to have long, multiplay drives to score I believe somewhere along the way Sachez will screw it up.

IMO - if the Bills can do these things, we come away with a victory.

Go Bills!!!

You're missing a big factor: Job #1. Stuff the Run. Last year the Jets ran the ball down our throats, over and over again.

This year the Jets are #28 in the league in YPG rushing. Let's not change that on Sunday in the Ralph; let's nominate them for #29 if not #30.

If we totally stuff the run and force them to win on Sanchez arm, we can win even if we give up some big plays, unless they totally shut down our O.

Pressure him and we have a chance to get some big plays. Either the Jets haven't been so stout in protecting Sanchez or he's hanging onto the ball too long, judging by their OL stats.

It would be helpful if the Bills could take after a Midwestern Fast Food Franchise, Steak n Shake, and "TakeHomeASak".

Personally I don't want to see the Jets driving the length of the field. I want to see 3 and out, and give the ball back to our offense until they figure it out and put points up.

I think the Bills' passing attack is actually geared precisely to deal with how the Jets play defense. No long developing pass plays -- against Washington, most of Fitz' throws came out within two seconds -- and the strengths of Stevie, Nelson, and Jones (if he can come back) are being able to deal with physical corners and create some separation right off the line.

Add in the screen game with Freddy, and I think Buffalo doesn't have to do anything different this Sunday. Obviously, the offense is not geared for 3rd and long -- but which NFL offense is?

I'm extremely confident the Bills will be able to move the ball -- the key will be, as usual, turnovers. No fumbles, dropped balls, tipped interceptions, etc. Fitz will need to be as accurate as he's been all season.

I expect gailey to take advantage of the Jets aggresiveness. Lots of screen, pump fakes, and draws

I agree with this completely. I would also add a few "over the top" throws hopefully to Donald Jones but if he is not available, to Namaan Rossevelt, Stevie Johnson, and Brad Smith. Wouldn't it be great to have Smith catch a TD?

Oh - every time Maybin is on the field....run right at him. :devil:

Stop the run and exploit they safeties with passes to Chandler or Nelson down the seam. If you want to exploit the flanks or flats, throw to Cromartie's side.

Use their aggresivness on D to our favor.

That would basically it.

I heard that. Also the favorable comparison to the 2009 NO Saints.

No surprise that he

I'm not sure he understands how the Bills offense differs from the Pats. He's right that the Jets are really good at taking away short and midrange stuff - it's how they frustrated Brady in the playoffs last year. I think the Bills have an answer to that because it's not just the Welker and Gronkowski show for us, and I also think the Jets have lost a couple steps from last year, but we'll see on Sunday.

I also think he fails to recognize that we've been reasonably effective at stopping the run this year - he talks as if it's all on the Jets whether they "open the playbook" or not vs. what the Bills D allows.

So we'll see!

Yes it should be interesting to be sure. If the jets are able to take away the short/mid stuff from Fitz, which is how he makes his living, it will force the bills to go deeper more often and that is always a scary thing for bills fans. But Gailey is no dummy so I'd have to think he has something planned out other than going deep. If sanchize gets time to throw they should be able to put a couple points on the board as well. Like I said, should be interesting and every bit as close as the vegas line indicates.

12th man could have a serious impact on this game.

Edited by CodeMonkey

THE key is #22. He hasn't had a ton of success running the ball against the jests. That must change this game and I think that there is a good chance it will. If we're successful running the ball we'll be successful passing the ball.

10/03/10 3 carries 21 yards

01/02/11 13 carries 31 yards

10/18/09 15 carries 52 yards

12/03/09 13 carries 31 yards

11/02/08 7 carries 15 yards

12/14/08 7 carries 31 yards

This will be a very tough game for us. The NFL is about matchups; we don't matchup well against the Jets, particularly against their defense. If we can get Freddy and Spiller to rip runs to the outside, and make effective use of screens and short passes, we'll be in good shape. We'll also have to stop a recently-improving running game of the Jets. Do keep in mind that the Jets destroyed us last year. That being said, I think we can win a close one, but it won't be so easy.

I'm really glad we have a healthy McGee for this game. Hes not so fast anymore but he's big and physical enough to handle plax. otherwise we would have had to commit to a lot of doubles on him which leaves the more dynamic holmes single covered.

What makes you say he's not as fast anymore? Has he been timed and compared to an earlier 40? While he's been injured a lot, I haven't heard anyone say he's not as fast as he used to be??? I think he is important to the D's improvement though, and will be a factor in the game.