Keys to a Bills Victory Sunday

What makes you say he's not as fast anymore? Has he been timed and compared to an earlier 40? While he's been injured a lot, I haven't heard anyone say he's not as fast as he used to be??? I think he is important to the D's improvement though, and will be a factor in the game.

Well he is 31 now and he always seems to have some kind leg pull or strain. I admit to not having timed him but to my eye he doesn't look the burner he was returning kicks years ago.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well he is 31 now and he always seems to have some kind leg pull or strain. I admit to not having timed him but to my eye he doesn't look the burner he was returning kicks years ago.

I see someone just started this topic about him, which is what I was thinking about--it seems the D has picked up since his return. He was fast to begin with, so even if he lost a step, he's still pretty fast.

I'm not sure if Chan is much in the game of "hiding" things for "next week", he seems like the type that wants to win the current game first and think about other games later.

I think first and foremost we need to make sure we stop them from running the ball down our throats. I think we can get yardage with short quick throws and spread runs, I don't think we'll be putting up a ton of points.

If we can stop their run and force Sanchez to beat us (and hopefully get decent pressure on him), we have a chance. If we can't stop the run, as it has been in recent years, we are still second class in our division.

This.

The Bills start a tough November swing this Sunday against the hated Jets. In November they have the Jets twice, the Cowpokes, and fortunately the "Suck for Luck" Dolphins. 3 of those games are on the road. It's a tough stretch and one the Bills will hopefully come out of 3-1. If they go 3-1 they will be in good shape for a playoff slot. That said, here are some of what I feel are the keys the the Bills against the NJ Jets:

1. Pressure Mark Sanchez -- the Jets receivers (Holmes, Burress, & Kellar) are much better than what they faced last week against the Skins and if Sanchez has time, he will connect on some deep balls. With the exception of the Skins game, the Bills DB's have not shown the ability to shut down receivers so we need to pressure Sanchez in order to force quick, inaccurate throws.

2. Run the Ball - The Jets have been stout against the pass (hate to say it, but Revis is a true shut down corner), but can be run on. The Jets "D" will over-pursue so maybe some misdirection with runs will work.

3. Use screen passes & the tight end -- The Bills run a great screen pass and it can be effective against the Jets. Additionally, Chandler can help move the chains with short passes if he is used.

4. Make the Jets drive the length of the field, no turnovers, no long passes -- If the Jets have to have long, multiplay drives to score I believe somewhere along the way Sachez will screw it up.

IMO - if the Bills can do these things, we come away with a victory.

Go Bills!!!

I think the key is to score more points than they do. That almost always works.tongue.gif

If I am Rex Ryan my gameplan is to stop F.Jax

He knows Revis will contain Stevie, and our other receivers are decent but so is the Jets secondary.

So it's 8 in the box on first down until you start getting burned.

Our WR's and TE's need to be attentive to the blitzing, and cut their routes short if they see the pressure so Fitz can unload quickly, which he's great at doing. (also the reason Maybin will be a non-factor, the guy is a 6 second pass rusher at best)

Jets weakness this year has been slow offensive starts and linebacker play. They're missing two Dlinemen to injury as well. I think we might see Chan using less spread offense that usual, and more 2 receiver/2 TE sets, or using TE/FB stuff and take it smashmouth for awhile.

When they start cheating for the run, Fitz makes the adjustments and slings it.

Bills 20

Jets 16

DONT FORGET TO WEAR WHITE EVERYBODY !!!

If I am Rex Ryan my gameplan is to stop F.Jax

He knows Revis will contain Stevie, and our other receivers are decent but so is the Jets secondary.

So it's 8 in the box on first down until you start getting burned.

Our WR's and TE's need to be attentive to the blitzing, and cut their routes short if they see the pressure so Fitz can unload quickly, which he's great at doing. (also the reason Maybin will be a non-factor, the guy is a 6 second pass rusher at best)

Jets weakness this year has been slow offensive starts and linebacker play. They're missing two Dlinemen to injury as well. I think we might see Chan using less spread offense that usual, and more 2 receiver/2 TE sets, or using TE/FB stuff and take it smashmouth for awhile.

When they start cheating for the run, Fitz makes the adjustments and slings it.

Bills 20

Jets 16

DONT FORGET TO WEAR WHITE EVERYBODY !!!

I see what your saying ,and I like what your saying, but against our spread offense it is impossible to put 8 in the box...you can only put 8 in the box if a team is running 2 WR set..which we rarely do...they will focus on stopping freddie, but it wont be with 8 in the box...

I think Chandler needs to be a factor, but this is the perfect game for Spiller to make his mark, even if it's just as a receiver. I saw the potential for some big RAC yards against the Redskins. Make him the check down.

This is a game where some turnovers would be really really helpful

I like our match-ups in the middle of the field with Chandler and Nelson using their size and speed mismatches against nickle DBs and linebackers.

Leodis ,Mcgee and florance .... have to come to play

Since McGee has come back it hasn't been as much of a feeding frenzy - Florence needs to play well and not have the kind of game he had against the G-men.

I think the Bills' passing attack is actually geared precisely to deal with how the Jets play defense. No long developing pass plays -- against Washington, most of Fitz' throws came out within two seconds -- and the strengths of Stevie, Nelson, and Jones (if he can come back) are being able to deal with physical corners and create some separation right off the line.

Add in the screen game with Freddy, and I think Buffalo doesn't have to do anything different this Sunday. Obviously, the offense is not geared for 3rd and long -- but which NFL offense is?

I'm extremely confident the Bills will be able to move the ball -- the key will be, as usual, turnovers. No fumbles, dropped balls, tipped interceptions, etc. Fitz will need to be as accurate as he's been all season.

Agree.

I especially expect Nelson to have a bigger role, his size and speed create mismatches in the slot, and I would expect the Bills to do a lot of bunch formations to keep the Jets from being able to jam off the line.

Fred needs to have a great game. I would like to see us do some power runs behind Wood, Levitre, and Hairston. If the Bills can prove they can move the ball against a Jet's D-line that is expecting run, that would set the tone for a long day for their defense. We should know - that has been their blue print the last couple seasons against us.

This is a huge test for our run defense; the Jets come in expecting to run the ball down our throats. I am hoping that Mr. Green and Mr. LaDanian get an early up close and personal association with Mr Dareus. The Jets have not had to deal with a Bills team that has a legit bull rushing force in the middle of the line.

I agree with all of these points. I have it on special authority, though, that we have an extra ace up our sleeve:

The Jills, Chan Gailey, George Edwards and the entire coaching staff will be barefoot. Rex will simply not be able to concentrate.

:sick:

Ack...can't believe I just said that.

This will be a very tough game for us. The NFL is about matchups; we don't matchup well against the Jets, particularly against their defense. If we can get Freddy and Spiller to rip runs to the outside, and make effective use of screens and short passes, we'll be in good shape. We'll also have to stop a recently-improving running game of the Jets. Do keep in mind that the Jets destroyed us last year. That being said, I think we can win a close one, but it won't be so easy.

I agree with this. The Jets are far from the best team in the league, but other than Pittsburgh, they might just be the toughest match-up for the Bills.

I think David Nelson has to have a big game on offense and the D has to make sure they don't get fooled by any play-action plays. That's the only way Sanchez can hurt you. Otherwise, he's crap. I hope they don't even try to bring extra guys to pressure him. Let him throw into coverage and he will screw it up.

I really hope we can pull it off, but I have to admit that I've got a bad feeling about this game.