Keys to a Bills Victory Sunday

The Bills start a tough November swing this Sunday against the hated Jets. In November they have the Jets twice, the Cowpokes, and fortunately the "Suck for Luck" Dolphins. 3 of those games are on the road. It's a tough stretch and one the Bills will hopefully come out of 3-1. If they go 3-1 they will be in good shape for a playoff slot. That said, here are some of what I feel are the keys the the Bills against the NJ Jets:

1. Pressure Mark Sanchez -- the Jets receivers (Holmes, Burress, & Kellar) are much better than what they faced last week against the Skins and if Sanchez has time, he will connect on some deep balls. With the exception of the Skins game, the Bills DB's have not shown the ability to shut down receivers so we need to pressure Sanchez in order to force quick, inaccurate throws.

2. Run the Ball - The Jets have been stout against the pass (hate to say it, but Revis is a true shut down corner), but can be run on. The Jets "D" will over-pursue so maybe some misdirection with runs will work.

3. Use screen passes & the tight end -- The Bills run a great screen pass and it can be effective against the Jets. Additionally, Chandler can help move the chains with short passes if he is used.

4. Make the Jets drive the length of the field, no turnovers, no long passes -- If the Jets have to have long, multiplay drives to score I believe somewhere along the way Sachez will screw it up.

IMO - if the Bills can do these things, we come away with a victory.

Go Bills!!!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After the Redskins game, one Washington defensive player said that the Bills did exactly what they expected them to do. Despite the fact that the Bills were predictable, they couldn't stop them. This got me thinking. Given the terrible matchup issues the Bills have had with the Jets over the last couple of seasons, does anyone think that the whatever new offensive wrinkles the Bills might have come up with were being kept under wraps for the Jets?

I'm not sure if Chan is much in the game of "hiding" things for "next week", he seems like the type that wants to win the current game first and think about other games later.

I think first and foremost we need to make sure we stop them from running the ball down our throats. I think we can get yardage with short quick throws and spread runs, I don't think we'll be putting up a ton of points.

If we can stop their run and force Sanchez to beat us (and hopefully get decent pressure on him), we have a chance. If we can't stop the run, as it has been in recent years, we are still second class in our division.

The Bills start a tough November swing this Sunday against the hated Jets. In November they have the Jets twice, the Cowpokes, and fortunately the "Suck for Luck" Dolphins. 3 of those games are on the road. It's a tough stretch and one the Bills will hopefully come out of 3-1. If they go 3-1 they will be in good shape for a playoff slot. That said, here are some of what I feel are the keys the the Bills against the NJ Jets:

1. Pressure Mark Sanchez -- the Jets receivers (Holmes, Burress, & Kellar) are much better than what they faced last week against the Skins and if Sanchez has time, he will connect on some deep balls. With the exception of the Skins game, the Bills DB's have not shown the ability to shut down receivers so we need to pressure Sanchez in order to force quick, inaccurate throws.

2. Run the Ball - The Jets have been stout against the pass (hate to say it, but Revis is a true shut down corner), but can be run on. The Jets "D" will over-pursue so maybe some misdirection with runs will work.

3. Use screen passes & the tight end -- The Bills run a great screen pass and it can be effective against the Jets. Additionally, Chandler can help move the chains with short passes if he is used.

4. Make the Jets drive the length of the field, no turnovers, no long passes -- If the Jets have to have long, multiplay drives to score I believe somewhere along the way Sachez will screw it up.

IMO - if the Bills can do these things, we come away with a victory.

Go Bills!!!

Good analysis. I agree. #1 is of paramount importance. If we cannot pressure Sanchez, we are in trouble. Regardless of outcome, I guarantee this is the game plan, and if Edwards can't make it happen, he needs to go. Pressure Sanchez and it's nearly a guarantee win if we execute out game plan on offense.

They really said that? Apparently they weren't expecting Scott Chandler to be streaking wide open to the endzone.

“Disappointment, shock, sadness — little bit of everything,” said cornerback DeAngelo Hall. “I don’t know what happened out there on that field. Definitely didn’t look like us. They had our jerseys on, but I don’t know.”

Buffalo didn’t do anything the Washington defense hadn’t anticipated. Unlike the loss at Carolina a week earlier, the Redskins felt ready for whatever the Bills were prepared to throw at them. “Exactly what we expected,” linebacker Brian Orakpo said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/redskins-defense-confused-about-its-failures/2011/10/30/gIQADv8eXM_story.html

There's only so much "unpredictability" you can put into a gameplan at this point in the season.

Besides, the best teams do what they do best and dare you to stop it. Washington couldn't.

I've been waiting more than 10 years to see a Bills team that dictates the play to their opponents, rather than reacting to what their opponents do.

Hahahah...we expected them to run on us and we not be able to stop.....we expect to blitz 80% of the downs and only get two meaningless sacks....we expected to be beat by their te twice.....and we expected then to complete 70 perfect of their 3rd down..... yup that how u end up with a 23-0 defeat

I have been right the last few wins about chans game plan like he has been reading my stats.... this is going to be Spillers break out game.... his speed is going to cause problems and he is going to make some plays down the field

Hahahah...we expected them to run on us and we not be able to stop.....we expect to blitz 80% of the downs and only get two meaningless sacks....we expected to be beat by their te twice.....and we expected then to complete 70 perfect of their 3rd down..... yup that how u end up with a 23-0 defeat

I have been right the last few wins about chans game plan like he has been reading my stats.... this is going to be Spillers break out game.... his speed is going to cause problems and he is going to make some plays down the field

Man I hope you are right. I mentioned in another thread that we really need to get Spiller involved in the run game. It is nearly impossible to take a guy like Jackson off of the field but we can't ride that horse into the ground. We need Freddie in December when and with any luck beyond. The last thing we need is Freddie tired or hurt at the end of the year. That is NOT the time to start seeing what your other RBs can do when you actually give them meaningful touches.