Is Revis that good??

eme123

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering they didn't test Asomugha against the Eagles a few weeks ago, I doubt they throw Revis' way often, if at all. Which is just fine by me. That defense is more bravado than anything else. Other than Revis, the rest of their D can be exploited. And for once, I feel as though the coach of the Bills is at least as smart as I am, so I'm guessing he will feel the same way. :flirt:

I love how everyone see one reply during a primetime game where Revis didn't get called for an obvious PI, and then somehow come to the conclusion that he ALWAYS gets away with PI.

I live in NYC and see all their games, so I see it all the time.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I fully expect Chan to use the "bunch" formation to pick and screen Stevie free from Revis on some slant routes. The Bills' offense is perfectly designed to free up a receiver against any one particular defender.

I just read that quarterbacks have a Passer Rating of 2.9 when throwing towards Revis. Is he that good? More then that good, he is putting up Defensive Player of the Year numbers. Yes he is very, very good. Head Coaches and Offensive Coordinators for the most part know so much more then any of us fans do, and there is a reason they hardly ever throw towards him, and it isn't because the media has made him out to be good.

I love how everyone see one reply during a primetime game where Revis didn't get called for an obvious PI, and then somehow come to the conclusion that he ALWAYS gets away with PI.

He is a great CB...period.

Double ditto.

Just a great all around CB. Him and Cromartie make many of Ryan's schemes possible. The key will be to force Ryan to use that personnel in ways he doesn't want to. Chan is also a master schemer and I look for him to use even more multiple receiver sets, spread the field, and let Fitz take what's there. Basically what he's been doing all season. Gotta stay in favorable down/distance situations and make Ryan play honest more often than not. Football 101.

GO BILLS!!!

Fans of Revis say he gets the calls because he's great. Detractors say he looks great because he gets the calls. The truth, as usual, is probably somewhere in the grey area; Revis is a great cornerback whose reputation precedes him enough to get the benefit of the doubt from referees on subjective plays. Now, no player deserves any positive bias in a theoretically fair game, but we must remember that referees are human. They can still remain impartial while bending to preconceived notions. We all do it.

There are examples across other sports. Andy Pettitte had an awesome pickoff move, the results of which were exacerbated because he never got called on a bevy of well-deserved balks.

Dwyane Wade is an all-time great at driving the lane, but it certainly helps that he's essentially allowed to approach the free-throw line whenever he pleases.

I'm not as intimately familiar with hockey, but given that penalty calls are subjective I imagine there is an analogous example somewhere.

These are all examples of officials who fall victim to self-fulfilling prophecies. Revis is certainly a top-tier CB, but is his actual greatness exaggerated by his reputation for greatness? I think it's a fair assertion.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

+1

He gets all of the Jordan calls.

+2

And he gets all of Maddux's strikes.

This just in: star players get leeway from officials. That said, one generally doesn't get to that point unless he has been really good.

Edited by KD in CT

Fans of Revis say he gets the calls because he's great. Detractors say he looks great because he gets the calls. The truth, as usual, is probably somewhere in the grey area; Revis is a great cornerback whose reputation precedes him enough to get the benefit of the doubt from referees on subjective plays. Now, no player deserves any positive bias in a theoretically fair game, but we must remember that referees are human. They can still remain impartial while bending to preconceived notions. We all do it.

There are examples across other sports. Andy Pettitte had an awesome pickoff move, the results of which were exacerbated because he never got called on a bevy of well-deserved balks.

Dwyane Wade is an all-time great at driving the lane, but it certainly helps that he's essentially allowed to approach the free-throw line whenever he pleases.

I'm not as intimately familiar with hockey, but given that penalty calls are subjective I imagine there is an analogous example somewhere.

These are all examples of officials who fall victim to self-fulfilling prophecies. Revis is certainly a top-tier CB, but is his actual greatness exaggerated by his reputation for greatness? I think it's a fair assertion.

Since Revis doesn't get challenged (passed on) often, hard to say he gets away with a lot of PI if Qb's aren't throwing his way. Therefore, there isn't much to this "refs favor Revis" stuff.

Also, I didn't hear much on this board about all this blatant Revis favoritism by the refs until this year....

Whichever receiver gets lined up across from Revis should just do an all-out fly route down the field. Simply run Revis' butt into the ground with exhaustion. Kind of like a football rope-a-dope. That or we could have one of our coaches trip him along the sideline...