Ralph is cheap...seriously

LabattBlue

I'd love to know who at OBD pulled the plug on this. I can't believe it was a huge amount of money...

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/high-schools/article590464.ece

The sponsor that left was the Buffalo Bills. Kozak assumed the team was in for its usual portion this season, which amounted to a sixth of the budget, but they weren't. He found out a week or two ago. You and I would certainly think that an NFL team could afford to stay involved with these kind of broadcasts -- it kind of falls into the "are you kidding me?" category -- but Kozak, even in his disappointment, said he understood and thanked the Bills for having been on board.

Great to know the Bills are willing to help out in the community, when it comes to football no less. <_<:angry:

Edited by LabattBlue

This article leaves something out...

"The sponsor that left was the Buffalo Bills. Kozak assumed the team was in for its usual portion this season, which amounted to a sixth of the budget, but they weren't. He found out a week or two ago."

They did not reporting on this. No reason why the Bills are out...no one from the Bills commenting. I assume there is more to the story that the reporter didn't report on for some reason. I guess the Jerry Sullivan school of reporting is churning out graduates.

I'd love to know who at OBD pulled the plug on this. I can't believe it was a huge amount of money...

The sponsor that left was the Buffalo Bills. Kozak assumed the team was in for its usual portion this season, which amounted to a sixth of the budget, but they weren't. He found out a week or two ago. You and I would certainly think that an NFL team could afford to stay involved with these kind of broadcasts -- it kind of falls into the "are you kidding me?" category -- but Kozak, even in his disappointment, said he understood and thanked the Bills for having been on board.

Great to know the Bills are willing to help out in the community, when it comes to football no less. <_<:angry:

Not going to defend this decision, but I bet the rationale was that there are many worthy causes and the Bills can't be a part of them all.

hopefully this story gets legs and one of the bills players or former players donate money.

I bet it was like 10 grand (or less).

What's irritating to me is the part where he says "You and I would certainly think that an NFL team could afford to stay involved with these kind of broadcasts -- it kind of falls into the "are you kidding me?" category". It's presumptuous of the guy to assume that I can't think for myself, and I certainly wouldn't spend more than half-a-second thinking "Are you kidding me?".

This is classic emotional journalism, tugs at your heart strings by telling only part of the story. I certainly think this: the Bills likely have a budget for this sort of thing, and it no longer fit into their plans. Quite honestly, I would rather see them dedicate this money to, in no particular order...breast cancer...prostate cancer...american heart association...alzheimer's association...habitat for humanity...and so on.

Don't drink the kool aid. It's a big world out there. Plus, you know...you could fund it.

What's irritating to me is the part where he says "You and I would certainly think that an NFL team could afford to stay involved with these kind of broadcasts -- it kind of falls into the "are you kidding me?" category". It's presumptuous of the guy to assume that I can't think for myself, and I certainly wouldn't spend more than half-a-second thinking "Are you kidding me?".

This is classic emotional journalism, tugs at your heart strings by telling only part of the story. I certainly think this: the Bills likely have a budget for this sort of thing, and it no longer fit into their plans. Quite honestly, I would rather see them dedicate this money to, in no particular order...breast cancer...prostate cancer...american heart association...alzheimer's association...habitat for humanity...and so on.

Don't drink the kool aid. It's a big world out there. Plus, you know...you could fund it.

Nice observation. I read the story a few times, and it comes across as lazy journalism. No facts, no perspective, no context. Only one-sided quotes without a hint of perspective from the other side (not even "the Bills were not available to comment). Sounds like a straw man argument to me.

I don't know who else ponies up for these broadcasts, but aren't there other marks to hit up? I know Buffalo is not a hotbed of corporate HQs, but it does have a few good-sized companies: Rich Products, Delaware North, New Era, the Buffalo News (owned by a certain billionaire named Warren Buffett). Do any of the school districts involved kick in for the broadcasts? The writer notes that two of the people involved in the broadcasts work for UPS. Did they ever bother bother to hit up UPS? We'll never know because the writer chose not to offer any facts to let us make our own decision.

The writer does say that the operation is "largely a one-man-band" situation. If that's the case, can the costs be so great? We don't know because we're never told what the budget is or what operating expenses are. Nor can I tell if the broadcasts are popular. If they were, wouldn't there be a market for advertisersto help pick up the tab? Or is listenership so low that the station's ad salesmen can't find anyone to pay for an ad. Again, we'll never know.

Why are no other "sponsors" quoted lamenting the loss of a major patron? Could it be there are no other sponsors? Again, we don't know.

So to pin this situation on the Bills sounds a bit disengenuous to me.

Plenty of small towns have high school sports pbp on the radio or even online. You know who pays for it? Parents of players who own businesses. Are you saying no players parents are willing to support these broadcasts?

I have a radio background and have done my share of high school games on radio. They aren't that expensive to produce. I'd like to know what this guy's budget is. They may be leaving out the part that this guy makes a living at this.

PTR

Plenty of small towns have high school sports pbp on the radio or even online. You know who pays for it? Parents of players who own businesses. Are you saying no players parents are willing to support these broadcasts?

I have a radio background and have done my share of high school games on radio. They aren't that expensive to produce. I'd like to know what this guy's budget is. They may be leaving out the part that this guy makes a living at this.

PTR

PTR...Read the article. He works two jobs and makes no money off this. He does it for the love of the game.

This article leaves something out...

"The sponsor that left was the Buffalo Bills. Kozak assumed the team was in for its usual portion this season, which amounted to a sixth of the budget, but they weren't. He found out a week or two ago."

They did not reporting on this. No reason why the Bills are out...no one from the Bills commenting. I assume there is more to the story that the reporter didn't report on for some reason. I guess the Jerry Sullivan school of reporting is churning out graduates.

Nothing like having an axe to grind against the News and its writers. <_<

Seriously??? Come now... realistically, what would $10,000 dollars to on an annual basis for them when one service will be lost for kids?

That is like saying, "Arts in schools? who needs it when we could be funding X research?". A total BS position to take.

Edited by BmoreBills

There is a lot left out here perhaps the announcer was less than kind about the Bllls record the last few years, what seemed like a harmless comment may have cost them. Or their could be a thousand other reasons. Would be nice to know the other side of the story.

If he was notified, then I can understand.

If he was NOT notified, there really is no excuse... you just don't suddenly NOT sponsor someone and not tell them.

Seriously??? Come now... realistically, what would $10,000 dollars to on an annual basis for them when one service will be lost for kids?

That is like saying, "Arts in schools? who needs it when we could be funding X research?". A total BS position to take.

Except that tax dollars pay for arts in schools -- except in my affluent Washington DC suburban school district, where the high school band members go door-to-door to beg residents for money. It sounds like private funding was used for the broadcasts -- apples and oranges.

And we also have one person's statement that the Bills never notified him. We never get the Bills version. Personally, I'd like a more balanced telling of the story of a guy who spent 12 years on a project and still couldn't make a go of it.

PTR...Read the article. He works two jobs and makes no money off this. He does it for the love of the game.

I did read it and this slipped my mind. But again I'd like to see what his costs are. Maybe he's buying the time on WJJL? If so I can see how that would get expensive. But producing the game in the internet age is a lot easier and cheaper than the way I used to do it lugging around remote transmitters or phone interfaces.

And if his big expense is buying air time, then he can go all-internet streaming and save a bundle. For a couple hundred bucks you can even have a phone app created. In my current line of audio production work I have a number of clients who produce high school sports strictly for online streams. They target businesses owned by player's parents and they make decent money doing it. If he does it for the love of the game then I don't see why he can't keep doing it.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Ralph just donated $1 million to UB's School of Medicine, annually donates money and supports donations to the Western New York Food Bank, contributes to other charities in the area and has kept the Bills in Buffalo when he could have made more money elsewhere. Is the guy a saint, no. But he supports charities in the area and does good deeds. He can't do everything nor should he be expected to.

Ralph just donated $1 million to UB's School of Medicine, annually donates money and supports donations to the Western New York Food Bank, contributes to other charities in the area and has kept the Bills in Buffalo when he could have made more money elsewhere. Is the guy a saint, no. But he supports charities in the area and does good deeds. He can't do everything nor should he be expected to.

This is not a Ralph Wilson decision, it is a managerial decision... There is no way I believe for a second that Ralph Wilson would do this to these people... and it says a lot about the way they choose to do business these days if this story is true.

This is not a Ralph Wilson decision, it is a managerial decision... There is no way I believe for a second that Ralph Wilson would do this to these people... and it says a lot about the way they choose to do business these days if this story is true.

I highly doubt Ralph knew anything about this decision, and that isn't a slam on his age. They wouldn't bother him with something like this.

I agree with all those who say this is telling just part of the story and is lazy journalism. I am finding that all the time in the News lately. I know they have less staff, etc. But, I read an article and it says something that obviously needs a little explanation and there isn't any.

Along with the points made above, my question was why would the Bills sponsorship be the thing that kills this. It says the Bills were one of 6 sponsors. How much money could that be? 1/6 of a small operation. It seems that this Kozak guy just might want to retire from it. Working two jobs and doing this, with three kids, seems insane to me.

There is no way that because one of six sponsors, that you somehow just find out a week or two ago isn't sponsoring (how's that?) sinks the ship.

And, I have to praise Ralph for the $1M to Roswell - that is awesome.