Wildcat/Brad Smith

LabattBlue

It appears one thing has become clear to Chan....when you have a QB who is excelling, you don't take him off the field to be replaced by gimmick formations.

Between being rendered useless on kickoff returns(due to kickoffs that cannot be returned), and not touching the ball for more than 2 or 3 plays a game out of the wildcat, Smith seems to be a guy who is destined to make a lot of money for not doing a heck of a lot.

I disagree,... I think we'll see good results from the formation during the course of the year. We were talking about this during the game and I just don't think the right down/distance situations were coming up to use it strategically. I think we're keep seeing it in the right scenarios.

They're going to have to show that they can successfully through out of the formation in order to keep it effective.

Edited by cage

Every single time Smith has ran a short yardage play, he has picked up a first down.

Yeah, I'm not sure what games the OP is watching, but B.Smith and the wildcat looks very promising from what little we've seen so far. Keep in mind we fell behind by ~3 TDs the last two games, not exactly the best environment for the wildcat.

Yeah, I'm not sure what games the OP is watching, but B.Smith and the wildcat looks very promising from what little we've seen so far. Keep in mind we fell behind by ~3 TDs the last two games, not exactly the best environment for the wildcat.

What part of my post isn't true? The part where I said he is only being used for 2 or 3 plays a game because they want Fitz on the field as much as possible, or the part where I said his value of being a kickoff returner has been neutralized by the fact that most kickoffs are being kicked out of the endzone?

It appears one thing has become clear to Chan....when you have a QB who is excelling, you don't take him off the field to be replaced by gimmick formations.

Between being rendered useless on kickoff returns(due to kickoffs that cannot be returned), and not touching the ball for more than 2 or 3 plays a game out of the wildcat, Smith seems to be a guy who is destined to make a lot of money for not doing a heck of a lot.

Am I mistaken or did they have Smith playing special teams in both directions, and also lining up as a WR a few times last Sunday?

lol^

Good question OP. and a reasonable observation. From what i have seen so far Brad is a quality player who knows what he is doing as has the skills to back it up. Right now i consider him money in the bank. We need to show him a couple plays to remind opposing teams that we have plays for him beyond returns.

and defending coaches are absolutely keeping that potential playcall in mind. keep 'em guessing, it's early still. I think our boy' poker reference was spot on. It is about playing the card ( B.Smith/playcall ) at the right time. Spiller falls into this too.

Fitz and Jackson and Johnson and company, basically are really running on all cylinders now. Dont mess with agood thing!

Edited by 3rdand12

It's not that I don't like Brad, I do. But come on, he's worth it because he can pick up 3rd and 1s? Can't Fred or Fitz do that? He's gotta do more than picking up 3rd and 1s before I say he's a valuable asset for this team.

NO he can't a huge problem last year was the inability to convert on 3rd and and short. Even if that's all Brad Smith does- which it won't be- that will be a huge contribution. We are only three games in I'm sure Chan has more plans for Brad Smith. But with Fitz playing so well it's hard to remove your best player for any reason. Lastly who care what he is paid is this preventing us from getting another player? We are so far under the cap it makes no difference what Smith makes.

What part of my post isn't true? The part where I said he is only being used for 2 or 3 plays a game because they want Fitz on the field as much as possible, or the part where I said his value of being a kickoff returner has been neutralized by the fact that most kickoffs are being kicked out of the endzone?

The part where you said "a guy who is destined to make a lot of money for not doing a heck of a lot." Getting first downs in short yardage situations is kinda important. Also - 3 games in. C'mon.

Well, the Bills just passed the quarter pole, and Smith once again got his 2 or 3 fairly insignificant touches(please don't tell me that making a play a game to get a first down makes you valuable), that we saw in the first 3 games.

1. The Bills can't figure out how to utilize him. :blink:

2. He is overrated. :oops:

3. They are saving him for that one special moment. :lol:

I'll just continue to wait until the Brad Smith era is launched. :)

And the new rules have rendered him useless on KOs. You could put Elmer Fudd back there on KOs and have as much success. Not Brad's fault, it's Roger's.

I blame Smith too.

Tasker said we are last in the league in KO returns (even though I bet we're probably in the top 5 in getting kickoffs in light of our high scoring games).

Smith has had several kickoffs that he misplayed and resulted in touchbacks; and then he has had a few that were 5 yards deep or so that he should be instructed to bring out. Look at the other stellar returners in the league--they're bringing kicks out 5-8 yards deep.

<br />Brad Smith will come in handy once teams start game planning to stop Fitz and the passing attack. Using the wildcat is a great way to keep the defense guessing and I wouldnt be surprised if using that formation becomes a major factor in 1 or 2 wins this year. <br /><br />Keep giving Brad a few touches a game and he's going to eventually burn the D. This guys a play maker and he's eventually going to show up big.<br />
Cincinnati did on Sunday. They took away the middle of the field. I wish we would've done some of it on Sunday, as the offense was getting shut down.

<br />lol^<br />Good question OP. and a reasonable observation. From what i have seen so far Brad is a quality player who knows what he is doing as has the skills to back it up. Right now i consider him money in the bank. We need to show him a couple plays to remind opposing teams that we have plays for him beyond returns. <br /> and defending coaches are absolutely keeping that potential playcall in mind. keep 'em guessing, it's early still. I think our boy' poker reference was spot on. It is about playing the card ( B.Smith/playcall ) at the right time. Spiller falls into this too.<br />Fitz and Jackson and Johnson and company, basically are really running on all cylinders now. Dont mess with agood thing!<br />
. They weren't running on any cylinders last week. They were using Fred Flintstones feet.