Merriman injured his arm during intros Sunday

billieve79

I have not seen it anywhere, but when Merriman was introduced to the crowd Sunday he seemed to have injured his right arm while doing his famous lights out dance. Right away he sort of grabbed his arm and then let it hang down without moving it. Moments later a trainer was looking at it on the sideline. Did anybody else at the game notice this? Could it explain his poor showing Sunday?

I have not seen it anywhere, but when Merriman was introduced to the crowd Sunday he seemed to have injured his right arm while doing his famous lights out dance. Right away he sort of grabbed his arm and then let it hang down without moving it. Moments later a trainer was looking at it on the sideline. Did anybody else at the game notice this? Could it explain his poor showing Sunday?

That play in the 1st quarter of the Kansas City game… he came off the field with what looked like "a stinger."

He was not the same after that play.

Referencing a different thread, I saw what Bill from NYC saw in the preseason, a guy (Merriman) with explosiveness. After that play he had no explosiveness.

If what you say is correct (and I don't doubt it) it could very well be that he's been nursing an injury that he sustained in the KC game and that he re-aggravated it.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

That play in the 1st quarter of the Kansas City game… he came off the field with what looked like "a stinger."

Referencing a different thread, I saw what Bill from NYC saw in the preseason, a guy (Merriman) with explosiveness. After that play he had no explosiveness.

If what you say is correct (and I don't doubt it) it could very well be that he's been nursing an injury that he sustained in the KC game and that he re-aggravated it.

Yep, a re-aggravation of the stinger seemed a possibility the way he reacted.

I have been saying here - I think the shoulder injury is a lot more serious than anyone is letting on, and he is just gutting it out at this point. There definitely was an immediate noticeable change once he injured it at the beginning of the kc game.

Edited by stevewin

I saw that too. I said out loud to my buds sitting on either side, "Did Merriman just hurt himself?"

It couldn't have been too bad, especially after watching him on that last pass rush.

I saw him on the sideline with his pads off late in the game. He has this huge strap that wraps around his back that secures his injured shoulder in place. One the trainers was tightening it for him.

Edited by MixMasterM

I just made a very similar comment in Bill's thread of how to win the game. IMO, he's almost got to be hurting in some way and it's affecting his play.

Just looked at the KC game (gotta love DVRs). It's tough to say exactly what happened (crappy angle and no replay), but it looks like he fell awkwardly with his shoulder/arm extended as several big men landed right on it. He clearly gets up quick and runs directly to the side line. Once there, he's moving his arm, bent at the elbow, up and down and seems to be indicating to the trainer that his arm was hyper-extended. So, maybe partial separation of the shoulder? That would be my best guess.

Not sure how long something like that takes to heal; but in watching the Raiders replay, he does seem to be favoring his right arm ever so slightly.

Merriman didn't injure it during the intros - he injured it in KC on a running play and spent quite some time on the sideline trying to stretch it out. They took him into the locker room and put some kind of brace on it - it was sticking out under his shoulder pad when he came back out.

He may have aggravated it during the intro, which means it's probably one of those things that's going to linger all season until he's able to rest it for a long period. That's one of those things with "ball and socket" joints. They don't heal quickly ever and they don't heal at all unless you use them minimally.

George Edwards is mis-using Merriman. He should be a 3rd down pass rusher only.

When he's rested he can still bring it, but his body is nowhere near full game shape right now. It's laughable.

That's why he kicked ass in preseason, taking 6 or 8 snaps a night. That's why he almost sacked Campbell on the last play of the game when he came in rested, Bills rushed only three, Merriman was double teamed AND clearly held (practically tackled) and still almost got a sack on the hail mary pass.

I don't think he's made one single tackle on a runner yet this year, and we've given up a lot of our long runs to the outside on his side.

Watch the direction NE runs the majority of their run plays. Off tackle left side. Put a TE on Barnett and your best blocking WR singled out wide left and now you're running away from our strengths and right at our weakness.

On first and second down we should shift Kelsay over to Merrimans spot so our line is Dwan, Dareus, Kyle and Kelsay. If we get third down and four or more, in comes Shawne, out goes Dwan, and Kelsay slides back to his side. Their LT is facing a new, fresh Merriman and we start getting sacks from the guy.

Otherwise, give me Moats or Batten full time and give them a chance to develop.