Merriman? Where is the explosiveness?

VirginiaMike

We were committed to the run so Merriman had an entirely different role today. Last play he got through with their LT making a big holding on him (wasnt called). Merriman his exam is next week against the pass happy Pats*.

So we shouldn't be concerned about all of the times that he didn't hold the edge against the run? How many times did he crash only to have the RB scoot by?

I feel that if Merriman continues to be a no-show, he will play his way out of a job and Batten, who is a good athlete, will start seeing more time.

The lack of a pass rush from the four rushers is a serious problem again this year, one I hoped he'd improve. But it's not happening and will be our undoing.

That was a disgusting non call. The guy rode back two OL on that play.

You cant seriously be complaining about the officiating in this game? A couple phantom PI calls on the raiders that were at most holding (if anything). All day long the refs were giving their love to the Bills. Enjoy this 2-0 win and don't waste your time complaining about very pro Bills officiating!

doubt it. I thought heard was outplaying troup in preseason, and they don't need that many linemen.

Troup was playing with one arm. And Heard was gassed from what I heard.

So we shouldn't be concerned about all of the times that he didn't hold the edge against the run? How many times did he crash only to have the RB scoot by?

How many times?

You cant seriously be complaining about the officiating in this game? A couple phantom PI calls on the raiders that were at most holding (if anything). All day long the refs were giving their love to the Bills. Enjoy this 2-0 win and don't waste your time complaining about very pro Bills officiating!

You must be joking.

I think you have to give Merriman a pass on being a little out of sorts (Although I thought that he played well during the Chiefs game). I think that a guy who missed all of last season as well as 2 out of the last 3 seasons is going to need a few weeks to get adjusted to playing consistently again.

IF in the next few weeks Merriman doesn't look better I would be very shocked.

Not at all. The Bills O played great in the 2nd half and they absolutely deserve the win. But anyone who thinks the Bills got the short end of the officiating stick in this game has to be joking in my opinion.

Okay, that I can live with. I thought you were saying they were being favored.

Two weeks in a row of not getting run all over.. .at will. We just played 2 explosive, run first teams and held both their number 1 backs to less than 100yds rushing. I'd suggest that he and the whole defense is doing exactly what they need to be doing.

Exactly what I'm thinking. It's because we're not noticing him that he's doing his job right now. Big test will be Ugg Brady and the pass attack next week.

Merriman has been lining up a ton with his hand on the ground in a DE position. He's not "explosive" because he's basically playing against guys that are 50lbs heavier than him and he's playing a pure contain.

I would expect that next week he'll be turned loose.

I agree. Like mentioned above, the entire front seven had run responsibility against the Chiefs and Raiders. Against a passing team, I look to the coaching staff to move Merriman around a bit and add some pressure schemes.

Merriman has been lining up a ton with his hand on the ground in a DE position. He's not "explosive" because he's basically playing against guys that are 50lbs heavier than him and he's playing a pure contain.

I would expect that next week he'll be turned loose.

Exactly. He hasn't been allowed to pin his ears back yet. When we face the Pats* you better believe he will be getting after Brady.

I saw some explosiveness from Merriman in the preseason. Where is it now? Kelsey is outplaying him - it's not even close. Am I missing something or is he done?

According to Moran, he was just seen crossing the boarder into Canada, apparently to get some medication.

We were committed to the run so Merriman had an entirely different role today. Last play he got through with their LT making a big holding on him (wasnt called). Merriman his exam is next week against the pass happy Pats*.

Correct. This was the #1 and #2 rushing attacks from last year - and Merriman was drawing plenty of double-teams on passing downs.

I predict LIGHTS-OUT next week against a QB you have to pressure.

Oh - and memo to San Diego - fire Norv Turner and anyone else involved with their game planning. EVERYONE in the NFL knows you have to pressure Brady - except for you, apparently - idiot.

Only Tolbert's bizarre and wimpy backwards run saved Turner from being the dumbest man in Foxborough this afternoon.