Tomorrow's game and two rookies to watch for

NickelCity

I was pleasently surprised by Hairston last week, and I think Chan was as well.

Hairston to play LT Thurs.

Posted by Chris Brown on August 31, 2011 – 7:50 am

Bills fourth-round pick Chris Hairston played mainly right tackle in training camp. He missed some practice time with an undisclosed injury as well as the first two preseason games. But he played extensively against Jacksonville at both right and left tackle and fared well. Head coach Chan Gailey intends to get him a lot more time in Thursday’s game, but only on one side.

“He played left tackle in college so he had a comfort level at left tackle,” said Gailey in reference to Hairston playing on the right and left side last Saturday. ”I think it’s worked out well for him to be able to play both. The way we sit right now he needs to know both so it helps us from a depth perspective as well. We’ll keep him at left this week just so he can hone in on that for an extended period of time and see how he does.”

It makes one wonder if Hairston is gaining an edge on the all important swing tackle job behind Demtrius Bell and Erik Pears. If so, Hairston’s performance Thursday night is of huge significance.

It also sounds like Sheppard will get significant playing time tomorrow (http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Kelvin-Sheppard-on-Making-His-NFL-Debut/e9044c46-3929-4617-897d-a62aef182feb)

Can't wait for the real season to start...

Robert Eddins may be the surprise rookie to make the squad of 53.

PTR

At the cost of who? Batten? With respect to FA acquisitions and guys that were drafted by this regime I'd say the following 9 are pretty much locks to make the team... Andra Davis, Kelvin Sheppard, Chris White, Chris Kelsay, Nick Barnett, Arthur Moats, Danny Batten, Shawne Merriman, Kirk Morrison. Then I allready discarded Coleman who is ahead of both Batten and Eddins on the depthchart.

It was leaked before teh draft that hairston was highly touted by the Bills staff. They have been known to have success with late round guys. I hope Hairston can take over the STARTING tackle job, on either side.

Glad that he and Shep will get some PT.

Really interested in seeing Shep in live game action. The landscape at ILB is so different now than when he was drafted, and his immediate impact is less crucial, but I hope to see a glimmer of something special there.

Robert Eddins may be the surprise rookie to make the squad of 53.

PTR

Good call.

When Paul Hamilton was asked on WGR which player stood out in the last preseason game he said Robert Eddins. When asked which young player stood out in training camp and preseason he said Robert Eddins. Hamilton stated on the radio show that he asked the HC about Eddins. Gailey told him that when he came to camp he wasn't familiar with him. He said he now knows him and is very impressed with him. Hamiliton also made the point that from the first day of training camp Eddins was not only not overwhelmed but was holding his own. Odds are that he is going to secure a positon on the opening day roster.

At the cost of who? Batten? With respect to FA acquisitions and guys that were drafted by this regime I'd say the following 9 are pretty much locks to make the team... Andra Davis, Kelvin Sheppard, Chris White, Chris Kelsay, Nick Barnett, Arthur Moats, Danny Batten, Shawne Merriman, Kirk Morrison. Then I allready discarded Coleman who is ahead of both Batten and Eddins on the depthchart.

Everybody is so sure Moates makes the team.....i dont see it

Everybody is so sure Moates makes the team.....i dont see it

You'd think one of Coleman, Moats, or White would have to go to make room, and that's with them keeping 10 LBs & counting Carrington as DL.

Hairston to LT could be the start of something good

I think he would be best off getting the starting RT position as a rookie, and then potentially be moved for his second year if he is up to it, allowing a full off season of OTAs and camp. I hope we do not see him at all at LT this year, because I think that could be too big a jump, and I actually like Bell more than Pears right now.

Anything that will take Bell out of the starting LT position is good with me. I've been saying this for a year or 2 now that Bell isn't a starting LT in this league. I wonder what took everybody here so long to realize this? Maybe you guys don't actually watch the game? I dunno. :huh:

I think he would be best off getting the starting RT position as a rookie, and then potentially be moved for his second year if he is up to it, allowing a full off season of OTAs and camp. I hope we do not see him at all at LT this year, because I think that could be too big a jump, and I actually like Bell more than Pears right now.

I think Pears has exceded expectations through camp and the preseason and would prefer that Hairston have the year & next offseason to develop as an injury replacement swing tackle and come in to compete next year for a starting spot.

You'd think one of Coleman, Moats, or White would have to go to make room, and that's with them keeping 10 LBs & counting Carrington as DL.

I think that the coaching staff loves White (although I think he is a possibility for practice squad)

Antonio Colemen fits what they are trying to biuld on this defense....he is a 270ish pound OLB....huge and can get after the passer

Then you have Moates....who should not have been moved from OLB because he was productive there.....but the fact is he did....has done nothing at ILB....then got hurt.

This defense wants first and foremost to shut down running games....they beleive that the pass rush will come from putting teams in long down and distance and forcing them into predictable plays....then you also have pass rushers like Merriman, Darius, Williams, and even Carrington