UFO Found on Ocean Floor?

CosmicBills

Which is most irrational?

A. Getting all worked up that the Bills haven't found a UDFA punter

B.  Believing, despite math, that intelligent aliens could exist.

C. Believing that cutting Trent Murphy is the answer to everything.

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Which is most irrational?

A. Getting all worked up that the Bills haven't found a UDFA

B.  Believing, despite theoretical math, that intelligent aliens could exist.

C. Believing that cutting Trent Murphy is the answer to everything.

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/simple-math-shows-how-many-space-aliens-may-be-out-ncna841371

If you look up the formula online, you'll see that it takes into account the odds that there are habitable planets around other stars, the likelihood that life will arise, and the probability that biology will occasionally evolve to produce clever beings. But even without wrestling with the Drake Equation, we can use similar reasoning to gauge the plentitude of alien societies and how close the Klingons might be.

By this rough and ready calculation, the nearest aliens are probably between one and two thousand light-years away. In other words, no closer than the three bright stars of Orion's Belt. Sure, alien neighbors might be farther — or closer. But this order-of-magnitude estimate tells us that they're not next door. They haven't heard our news reports, and they're not likely to have any incentive to visit. They simply don't know we're here.

Yes, the aliens are likely around, and 10,000 societies could inhabit our galaxy (not to mention those other galaxies!) They're not close. But they may be discoverable.

28 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/simple-math-shows-how-many-space-aliens-may-be-out-ncna841371

If you look up the formula online, you'll see that it takes into account the odds that there are habitable planets around other stars, the likelihood that life will arise, and the probability that biology will occasionally evolve to produce clever beings. But even without wrestling with the Drake Equation, we can use similar reasoning to gauge the plentitude of alien societies and how close the Klingons might be.

By this rough and ready calculation, the nearest aliens are probably between one and two thousand light-years away. In other words, no closer than the three bright stars of Orion's Belt. Sure, alien neighbors might be farther — or closer. But this order-of-magnitude estimate tells us that they're not next door. They haven't heard our news reports, and they're not likely to have any incentive to visit. They simply don't know we're here.

Yes, the aliens are likely around, and 10,000 societies could inhabit our galaxy (not to mention those other galaxies!) They're not close. But they may be discoverable.

Wow.  Seriously?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

isn't what I posted different from the initial "statement" was, that Drakes equation was proof that life doesn't exist?

Drake's equation itself isn't proof of anything.  The fact that the equation has a product of zero  is what shows aliens don't exist.

The shockingly haphazard article you posted had claims that only bolster this, despite trying to do the opposite.

If, as the article claims, there are 10s of thousands of civilizations in our galaxy alone, what are the odds that at least one of them is thousands or millions of years ahead of us?  Those are are very very high.  And yet, no evidence, no signals, no Von Neumann probes, no nothing.  There should be lots of all of those things.  Except math.  Accept math.

4 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

isn't what I posted different from the initial "statement" was, that Drakes equation was proof that life doesn't exist?

Mate, you're wasting your time. 

Just put him/her on "ignore" and move on. Some things just aren't worth it. 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Drake's equation itself isn't proof of anything.  The fact that the equation has a product of zero  is what shows aliens don't exist.

The shockingly haphazard article you posted had claims that only bolster this, despite trying to do the opposite.

If, as the article claims, there are 10s of thousands of civilizations in our galaxy alone, what are the odds that at least one of them is thousands or millions of years ahead of us?  Those are are very very high.  And yet, no evidence, no signals, no Von Neumann probes, no nothing.  There should be lots of all of those things.  Except math.  Accept math.

huh I didn't realize we didn't exist good to know.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

So, are you saying............it’s not sitcom math? 

This is so confusing! 

13 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

huh I didn't realize we didn't exist good to know.

It’s all an illusion! 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

So, are you saying............it’s not sitcom math? 

This is so confusing! 

It’s all an illusion! 

It's sitcom math because it was on a sitcom.  More comical yet is that the sitcom character used an equation to bolster an argument it actually refutes.

And the "UFO" is only U to some.  Not to the Pentagon.

11 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:
Just the USG (once again) confirming UFO/UAPs are real. 

... So where did they come from? Who/what is operating them? And, why release this now and not 10 years ago?

Anything new on these videos? Or just the same three that Tom Delonge released?

13 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

:lol: 

How did I know this would be spoken to.   B) 

https://www.newsweek.com/pentagon-released-ufo-footage-tom-delonge-1500607

though this video seems to have been released prior 

coincidentally on the TV morning news UFO talk

One Senator says the tapes only scratch the surface ..

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/the-american-people-deserve-to-be-informed-harry-reid-says-ufo-footage-only-scratches-the-surface

5 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

How did I know this would be spoken to.   B) 

https://www.newsweek.com/pentagon-released-ufo-footage-tom-delonge-1500607

though this video seems to have been released prior 

coincidentally on the TV morning news UFO talk

One Senator says the tapes only scratch the surface ..

:beer: 

Yup, it's the same three videos the USN leaked through the AATIP outfit (Delonge's group), though now instead of being "leaked" it's officially sanctioned by the DoD. So it's not new, but is a rather strong statement coming from the USG when they could have just ignored it and let AATIP run wild with it without ever confirming. The fact they did confirm it, and now Reid is again talking (about AATIP and other things) shows me that someone in the DoD wants this to be a talking point in the news cycle. 

Is it because it's just the start of more disclosures to come? (possibly) 

Or is it to try to deflect from other news in the ether which the DoD (or other parties) wish to bury? (possibly)

I get the sense that whoever is pushing this expected the Delonge group to be more effective at mainstreaming this information -- and this move is to try to goose the public. But I'm (of course) guessing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Wow, I wish I were a member way back when this started!

I served as an air traffic controller in the USN and saw/heard of ‘UFO’s’ relatively regularly. While I was there (five years), we could figure out what they all were. 

I’ve got tons of interesting stories (including TWA800). Not aliens or a missile in case you’re wondering. ? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1