Adam Schefter calls Bills visionaries

Aloha22

Wow! Heard it with my own ears! :thumbsup:

As one who has been kind of avoiding this whole labor issue as much as I can, I found the last part of this clip very interesting. According to Schefter, as there is no CBA right now, players are not subject to the NFL conduct policy, agent rules, etc...and cannot be retroactively punished. Imagine, if this had happened last year, no Ben Roethlisberger punishment, or, a few years ago, no suspension for Mike Vick...this could get scarry. It seems that player off season, off the field incidents are getting more rampant each year, and more outrageous.

Lock up your daughters!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, they're still subject to the laws of the United States, CBA or no CBA.

They should also be subject to the court of public opinion, but that ship sailed a loooooong time ago. At least it shipped far far away. If you're a star you can get away with what Ben did and not just from a legal standpoint. You can also have fans with twisted minds come to your defense because they think football is more important than cornering a victim and doing unspeakable things. Yay for Ben. Not only can he do what he wants, he can be immune to public scrutiny from much of the population.

I can't see that opting out of the vote in 2006 or 2008 (which was it) has stood the Bills in better stead than if they just went with it.

OK so Ralph had the foresight to say it was a duff deal, but it's hardly visionary to opt out of a vote and then do nothing.

Ralph voted "no" the 2006 CBA. The owners unanimously opted-out of it 2 years later. Ralph went out and got the Toronto deal, instead of waiting for "welfare" from the other owners. He hardly "did nothing."

He'd never do that! He knows a good thing while he is still alive. Best fans. Keep on telling em were close.

IIRC, Schefter was one of the few who didn't blast Wilson at the time...I think Schefter is pretty careful about alienating his sources...more so than some of the other talking heads. At the time, he was working at the NFL Network, as I remember. They are not as prone to being hyper critical as the clowns at ESPN are.

True, while they would be subject to any penalties from breaking laws, in a courr of law, they would would/could not be subject to any punishment from the NFL. Meaning, the NFL could not suspend them, or dock them pay, for a crime committed, or for one that they are accused of.

If you recall, Ben R was never convicted of any crime, never even charged, but, was still suspended. He is just the highest profile case of this...it happens all the time.

You're right, of course. I just thought it was funny in your first post that you said "this could get scary," like the CBA was humanity's last line of defense.

IIRC, Schefter was one of the few who didn't blast Wilson at the time...I think Schefter is pretty careful about alienating his sources...more so than some of the other talking heads. At the time, he was working at the NFL Network, as I remember. They are not as prone to being hyper critical as the clowns at ESPN are.

I'm not trying to make any suggestions about Schefter here, but if an NFL Network employee started getting critical about an owner, would s/he have a job very long?

I cant listen at work – what is the context of the remark? Was it CBA related regarding Ralph and him voting down the 2006 CBA vote?

Or was it regarding Gailey wanting to move toward mobile QBs and be “A step ahead of the curve”? I suspect that Gailey is building a full-bore spread offense team. I honestly don’t know why other teams haven’t done it already, and am excited by the thought of it.

Other teams have already run "Full bore spread offenses". Ever hear of the Run 'N Shoot? Full bore spread, 4 WR, no TE. How's that working?

You would think that if passing from the shotgun and bubble screens are easy for offenses to use to gain yard, they would do it more. The pats have been doing it this entire millennium and people think they are super geniuses – it’s just drag routes and screen passes!!!!!!!!!!!! Time to build a whole offense around it.

I'm not trying to make any suggestions about Schefter here, but if an NFL Network employee started getting critical about an owner, would s/he have a job very long?

I am not sure of that either, and I don't get to see the NFL Network all that much...but it would make sense.

Even on ESPN, though, Schefter is not as over the top as most of the other guys with his opinions. He plays it much more like a traditional sports reporter. I like his understated style...

Colin Cowherd, who I loathe (but listen for a while most days, as we listen to ESPN radio at work, depending on who is working), was one of the more critical Wilson bashers, when it came to the CBA thing...Mike & Mike had a good time with it too...at least Greenberg had the decency to say, "maybe we all owe Ralph Wilson an apology"

I emailed him a few weeks ago, after he was going on and on (as he is one to do) about how the owners were trying to renig on a deal that they wanted, so we shouldn't feel to much empathy for them. I reminded him of how he ripped Ralph Wilson, and Mike Brown (two of the "worst owners in sports") as being old and outdated, and unable to deal with the "new world" of the NFL. He made loads of age jokes at Wilsons' expense. The only repsonse I got was a "thanks for listeing, be sure to take advantage of the exclusive deal at 1-800-Flowes, and be sure to type "Colin" in the special promotions box".

Funny, because then, just a few days later, Cowherd was talking about a story on HBO Sports, about broke NFL players...he then shifted sides to the owners saying, essentially, "the NFL players make enough money, and they blow it all...why give them more?"

Edited by Buftex

Wow! Heard it with my own ears! :thumbsup:

As one who has been kind of avoiding this whole labor issue as much as I can, I found the last part of this clip very interesting. According to Schefter, as there is no CBA right now, players are not subject to the NFL conduct policy, agent rules, etc...and cannot be retroactively punished. Imagine, if this had happened last year, no Ben Roethlisberger punishment, or, a few years ago, no suspension for Mike Vick...this could get scarry. It seems that player off season, off the field incidents are getting more rampant each year, and more outrageous.

QUICK!!!

Someone give Maybin, Troupe, Carrington, D.Bell and the rest of our front 7 and OL steroids!!!! No testing!!!! No Suspensions!!!!

Git r dun Buddy!!!!!!!

Here's what I got out of it. Ralph and the Bungles owner are smarter than the rest of the onwers on labor contract approval. The previous contract, which is now expired, was passed with the same rationale as the Patriot Act. And to Ricky Williams and Santonio Holmes, smoke 'em if you got 'em. Woohoo !!

Here's what I got out of it. Ralph and the Bungles owner are smarter than the rest of the onwers on labor contract approval. The previous contract, which is now expired, was passed with the same rationale as the Patriot Act Obamacare. And to Ricky Williams and Santonio Holmes, smoke 'em if you got 'em. Woohoo !!

Fixed it for you.

Other teams have already run "Full bore spread offenses". Ever hear of the Run 'N Shoot? Full bore spread, 4 WR, no TE. How's that working?

No they haven't. They may run similiar passing plays, but they dont have the QB run it 15+ times a game with a zone read play, or have 98% of their plays come from the shot gun formation.

They should also be subject to the court of public opinion, but that ship sailed a loooooong time ago. At least it shipped far far away. If you're a star you can get away with what Ben did and not just from a legal standpoint. You can also have fans with twisted minds come to your defense because they think football is more important than cornering a victim and doing unspeakable things. Yay for Ben. Not only can he do what he wants, he can be immune to public scrutiny from much of the population.

Your avatar looks familiar?