Sabres : Rick Martin has died

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is indeed sad news.. as a former ticket holder from 70-1980, i saw rico, grew up with rico, going to the aud as 18 yr-old in 1970 with my season ticket, i saw rico come in as rookie in 71 and watch him develop into a bona-fide star. glad to have seen him skate with the french connection that one last time when pegula came on board. who would have known or thought ! wow.. i am stunned.. r i p rico..

Edited by dwight in philly

I was shocked when I saw this. I was just a kid during the French Connection's heyday and I loved watching them and those teams of the '70s. They're still my favorite Sabre players to this day. Very sad. Thoughts and prayers to the Martin family. R.I.P., Rick. :(

I had season tickets in Golds just at top of glass. There were marks from the pucks that were deflected from defenseman placing their sticks out. Man he could fire the pucks. He was scary! Bless you Rick!

Rick Martin was the man...like most here, I grew up on those 70's Sabres teams...I was 10 when they made it to the finals against Philly. Very sad news. I was really enjoying the recent French Connection reminiscing, when Terry Pegula took over the Sabres franchise. Pulled out a recording of the 1976 game against the Soviets, at the Aud. Rico was unbelievable in that game...almost Ovechkin like...very sad. I could kick myself, now, for missing a chance to meet the French Connection, at Christmas time, when I was back in Buffalo...

Funny, I heard Rico and Rene Robert interviewed on GR, around that time. Martin was hilarious. When asked if they ever felt like they were overshadowed by Perreault, and did they ever feel like they were "carrying Bert", Martin snapped back..."Well, I don't know, but we couldn't carry Gilbert now, that boy has gotten big in his old age..."

RIP Rico! :beer:

I'm so glad that I had front row seats on the glass two weeks ago for Pegula's first game. Little did I know that the pictures I took would be the last of the FC.

He had to have had the most wicked slapshot in the history of the Sabres, did he not?