Terry Pegula would be the NFL's third-richest owner

Love the last paragraph:

"We're committed to being slug-free by the beginning of next year," Black said. "The real important part of this process is we're engaging the fans. We're listening, and we're doing something."

What does "slug-free" mean? :blush:

I'm guessing the Buffa-slug AKA Donald Trump's hair piece is still hanging on various places @ HSBC.

Terry is planning to erase all evidence of one of the worse logos in pro sports history by next Hockey season.

When Pegula was officially named the owner he was asked how he would do things differently? One of his responses was that he would invest more in the scouting department. That is the type of forward thinking that doesn't exist from a particular football owner.

Considering the Sabres' scouting department the past few years consisted of videotapes of players, anything would be an improvement. But how many scouts do the Bills have, relative to other teams?

Considering the Sabres' scouting department the past few years consisted of videotapes of players, anything would be an improvement. But how many scouts do the Bills have, relative to other teams?

It doesn't matter how many scouts the Bills have relative to other teams. It is the quality of the scouting that counts. I'm sure that you are aware that the Bills have been one of the worst drafting teams over the past decade or so. :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter how many scouts the Bills have relative to other teams. It is the quality of the scouting that counts. I'm sure that you are aware that the Bills have been one of the worst drafting teams over the past decade or so. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure either what "slug-free" means but my sense is that getting rid of Quinn as a partial owner and generally the operating manager of this team is a very good start of reaching this goal.

I'm not sure either what "slug-free" means but my sense is that getting rid of Quinn as a partial owner and generally the operating manager of this team is a very good start of reaching this goal.

Quinn was Golisano's eyes, ears and operative within the organization. Or to put it another way he was the mostly absent Golisano's surrogate. Ralph's primary surrogates within the organization are Littman and Oberdorf. While the football side of the operation has had some tumultuous turnover the boss's finance men have remained a fixture within the organization.

The owner of any business can set up his business any way he wants. The way the business is run is a reflection of the way the owner wants it to be run. I'm not trying to make a criticism. My point is that the Bills are what they are because the owner is who he is.

It is really exciting to have an owner such as Pegula associated with a local franchise. He is coming in with a much different mindset than what the locals are accustomed to, to say the least. Right now things are going exceptionally well with the franchise. Where it is going to get interesting is to see how he responds when things don't go well. Then we will see what he is really made of. While the Bills have been mediocre for almost a generation, I don't get the sense that Pegula would tolerate a couple of years of that caliber of performance.

Edited by JohnC

The "slug" is the unflattering nickname that Sabres fans have come to call the logo that the team sported for about 3 years, before this season. The franchise logo change was very unpopular with the vast majority of Sabre fans. That logo (I think it looks like a banana peal) still adorns numerous spaces in HSBC arena. Pegula never like it as a fan, and is in touch enough with the fans to realize that removing all evidence of its' existence would be nice, if only for the symbolism. The teams that wore that logo were very disappointing, and some would say, very much underachieved.

The "slug" is the unflattering nickname that Sabres fans have come to call the logo that the team sported for about 3 years, before this season. The franchise logo change was very unpopular with the vast majority of Sabre fans. That logo (I think it looks like a banana peal) still adorns numerous spaces in HSBC arena. Pegula never like it as a fan, and is in touch enough with the fans to realize that removing all evidence of its' existence would be nice, if only for the symbolism. The teams that wore that logo were very disappointing, and some would say, very much underachieved.

Thank you for the explanation. Now I get it. For some people, including the new owner, changing a symbol is a sign of moving in a different direction.

Thank you for the explanation. Now I get it. For some people, including the new owner, changing a symbol is a sign of moving in a different direction.

You can have all the "signs" you want. But while I love that Pegula bought the team and that he (and likely his heirs) will keep it in Buffalo for probably the remainder of my life, he's little different than Dan Snyder at this point, until proven otherwise.

Edited by Doc

You can have all the "signs" you want. But while I love that Pegula bought the team and that he (and likely his heirs) will keep it in Buffalo for probably the remainder of my life, he's little different than Dan Snyder at this point, until proven otherwise.

Maybe...but I was raised to respect people, until they do something to lose my respect...T-Pegs is batting .1000 so far, as far as I concerned.

Though I wasn't there, and can't verify, over on Sabre Space, a poster mentioned that new team president, Ted Black, and memebers of the Pegula family were at last nights game, handing out game-night programs (free! When was the last time that happened?)...the posters story was coabberated by others. I think that is awesome. Maybe there is some Dan Snyder in him, but I am not getting that vibe from him, at all. It is refreshing to have an owner who is pinching himself because a dream has come true, than one whose goal is to simply break even every year. There is enough negativity surrounding the Bills and Sabres these days...I am willing to dive in, head first at what appears a legit reason to feel good about one of our teams. There will be plenty of time to complain if things don't turn out well...I miss when sports were fun to watch, instead of an emotional obligation.

Maybe...but I was raised to respect people, until they do something to lose my respect...T-Pegs is batting .1000 so far, as far as I concerned.

This.

Apologies while I get on my soapbox but it seems that we've gotten away from this idea that everyone deserves respect until they've done something to lose it. Seems that it's more the reverse now; nobody deserving of respect until they do something to earn it. Seems we'll miss a lot of opportunities with this mindset.

End of sermon.

GO BILLS!!!

When Pegula was officially named the owner he was asked how he would do things differently? One of his responses was that he would invest more in the scouting department. That is the type of forward thinking that doesn't exist from a particular football owner.

The prior owner, Tom Golisano, made the comment at a press conference announcing the sale that he was offered substantially more for the team by an out of town bidder. He said no to the offer. In fact, he claimed that one of the terms in the contract to sell to Pegula was that he couldn't move the team as an owner.

Golisano moved to FLA to avoid paying his fair share of taxes of a team he bought and operated while living in NY. He saved enough on taxes to sell to a local buyer, guess we should be happy he wasn't greedy enough to completely screw the city but, instead of the state collecting tax money from Golisano on the sale, the State will collect it from the people on the board. The middle class continues to decline, the rich become ultra-rich, but we are content because we have a hockey team.

I love the guy, don't get me wrong. What I was saying is that until proven otherwise, his words and money don't mean a thing unless it turns into championships. But I'll still always respect him for keeping the team in Buffalo, like he's promising he (and I'm sure his kids) will.

And I hope you mean he's batting 1.000. Same with me. ;)

Golisano moved to FLA to avoid paying his fair share of taxes of a team he bought and operated while living in NY. He saved enough on taxes to sell to a local buyer, guess we should be happy he wasn't greedy enough to completely screw the city but, instead of the state collecting tax money from Golisano on the sale, the State will collect it from the people on the board. The middle class continues to decline, the rich become ultra-rich, but we are content because we have a hockey team.

Well, I get your political point, but, at least we get something, instead of just screwed.

I love the guy, don't get me wrong. What I was saying is that until proven otherwise, his words and money don't mean a thing unless it turns into championships. But I'll still always respect him for keeping the team in Buffalo, like he's promising he (and I'm sure his kids) will.

And I hope you mean he's batting 1.000. Same with me. ;)

Yes, sorry, typo...I see your point, but, you know, while I am not sure that this team wins anything, anytime soon, I don't feel like it will be for lack of trying, or simply because the financial commitment to the team had a limit. This team was so close to being truly elite, just a few years ago...IMO, that never happened, becasue the bottom line was always just a little more important than winning. I can't imagine that happening with Pegula. I have liked what I have heard from him, and, so far, he seems to have hired some very qualified people to help turn things around.

Yes, sorry, typo...I see your point, but, you know, while I am not sure that this team wins anything, anytime soon, I don't feel like it will be for lack of trying, or simply because the financial commitment to the team had a limit. This team was so close to being truly elite, just a few years ago...IMO, that never happened, becasue the bottom line was always just a little more important than winning. I can't imagine that happening with Pegula. I have liked what I have heard from him, and, so far, he seems to have hired some very qualified people to help turn things around.

Actually the 2005-2006 team was poised to win it all if not for a rash of injuries knocking-out their top-4 defensemen (if you want evidence of Buffalo sports being cursed, witness Jay McKee getting a staph infection right before game 7 against the Canes. :wallbash:). Maybe spending more might have helped, but they were there and just had major bad luck.

Actually the 2005-2006 team was poised to win it all if not for a rash of injuries knocking-out their top-4 defensemen (if you want evidence of Buffalo sports being cursed, witness Jay McKee getting a staph infection right before game 7 against the Canes. :wallbash:). Maybe spending more might have helped, but they were there and just had major bad luck.

Yes, but they didn't really go out and do anything substansive to bolster their defense after that, and just seemed content to let players go (not only Drury and Briere, but Dumont, Campbell, etc) and take their chances with the prospects...they were so close, why take such a gamble? Unless you are worried about spending too much money. I realize the got guys like Rivet, but it was clear, he was at the end of his career...then letting decent, if not great defensemen like Spacek, Lydman and Tallinder skate...

I don't mean this to be a slam on Golisano, as I am grateful for what he did to stablize the franchise...but Pegula's approach has me far more excited. All of the sudden, as a fan, I can imagine the Sabres being in the running for top free agent talent, rather than just looking at the bottom of the free agent list, and wondering which guys were a bargain. It's fun to dream, instead of always being reigned in by low expectations...with your fingers crossed.

Edited by Buftex

Yes, but they didn't really go out and do anything substansive to bolster their defense after that, and just seemed content to let players go (not only Drury and Briere, but Dumont, Campbell, etc) and take their chances with the prospects...they were so close, why take such a gamble? Unless you are worried about spending too much money. I realize the got guys like Rivet, but it was clear, he was at the end of his career...then letting decent, if not great defensemen like Spacek, Lydman and Tallinder skate...

I don't mean this to be a slam on Golisano, as I am grateful for what he did to stablize the franchise...but Pegula's approach has me far more excited. All of the sudden, as a fan, I can imagine the Sabres being in the running for top free agent talent, rather than just looking at the bottom of the free agent list, and wondering which guys were a bargain. It's fun to dream, instead of always being reigned in by low expectations...with your fingers crossed.

I'm excited to see what transpires with the team now. But adding just Brad Boyes (who has been an excellent addition to be sure) before the trade deadline isn't exactly making me believe the Sabres will be signing the top guys. But I guess if they keep their own good players, that should be at least what we can expect.

I'm excited to see what transpires with the team now. But adding just Brad Boyes (who has been an excellent addition to be sure) before the trade deadline isn't exactly making me believe the Sabres will be signing the top guys. But I guess if they keep their own good players, that should be at least what we can expect.

I don't know that there were (or ever are)any really great trade-deadline deals to be made. I would have liked to see them pick up an experienced, solid, defensemen, but I am not sure that there even was one available to them. We shall see...things seem to be looking up, dramtically, for the Sabres, over the last month. Something tells me they will be battling it out with the freaking Devils for either the 7th or 8th seed...maybe the two best teams in the Eastern Conference right now...Devils turnaround has been insane....

Pegula strikes again!

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=556521&navid=DL|BUF|home

T-Pegs has invited every Buffalo Sabres alumni to attend the Sabres final home game this season (vs Philly) for a fan appreciation, red carpet event, in the plaza...that is awesome!

Of course, it will lose someting if the Sabres are not still in the playoff hunt...

Edited by Buftex