Lee Evans

whynot

Okay folks, I'm looking for comments from those of us lucky enough to have seen (and possibly Tivoed) the Bills this preseason.

Lee Evans' name hasn't been called much this preseason (not that the radio announcers call many names, but my gripe with the radiocasters is for another thread.) Now I can only think of two reasons for this:

1.The Bills have been calling his number but he hasn't been getting open. Therefore the ball hasn't been going his way all that often this preseason.

2.The Bills haven't been throwing his way much at all, hoping that he can slip into the first few weeks underscouted, and undercovered.

Are we playing rope-a-dope, or is Lee still struggling to adjust to the physical nature of pass coverage in the NFL?

Either way I look forward to big things out of him down the line; but I'd love some idea of how far down the line that will be.

I saw this coming a mile away, before the preseason ever started. People got themselves all pumped up about Lee Evans and 3 preseason games in they're already wanting to question why he isn't "producing".

I'll tell you why...he's a rookie who's only played 3 preseason games. I'll tell you something else, it's unlikely that he'll really produce this season at all on a consistant basis. That's just the way it is with WR unless a team gets lucky and a player just "clicks" like Boldin did last year.

Look for Josh Reed to step it up this year and provide a consistant target while Evans will provide a few glimpses of his speed and playmaking ability. I said it after the draft and during camp. Evans will not be the primary WR opposite Moulds in the 2WR set this year.

2.The Bills haven't been throwing his way much at all, hoping that he can slip into the first few weeks underscouted, and undercovered.

11425[/snapback]

(2) This is what I choose to believe.

Not to mention I see other teams doing the same thing. Corey Dillon has been underused this preseason in New England.

Brian Westbrook has been completely unused for the reason stated above as well as a concern about injury. Byron Leftwich has not let loose with his arm. The list is a long one...but you get the idea.

Guest Guest_ch19079_*

they didnt throw to him much in the colts game cus he wasnt on the field with bledsoe. in our 3 WR sets, we had Moulds, Reed, and Shaw. evens didnt come in untill the second half, and then we took out bledsoe. i didnt expect Zolman to get the ball to him.

that first travis brown INT was a bomb going to Lee Evans who was wide open and burned everyone. Not his fault the QB cant get the ball to him.

11454[/snapback]

It's not Lee's fault. :blink:

I love it when people make excuses for their binkies against all evidence. As always, ignorance is bliss, and the post above is straight from Eden!!

In time Evans may prove to be a good player, but for now rookie WRs don't often make an impact - especially rookie wideouts on teams with QB questions.

It's not Lee's fault.  :blink:

I love it when people make excuses for their binkies against all evidence.  As always, ignorance is bliss, and the post above is straight from Eden!!

In time Evans may prove to be a good player, but for now rookie WRs don't often make an impact -  especially rookie wideouts on teams with QB questions.

11536[/snapback]

No QB questions here. But thanks for the hypothetical.

It's not Lee's fault.  :P

I love it when people make excuses for their binkies against all evidence.  As always, ignorance is bliss, and the post above is straight from Eden!!

In time Evans may prove to be a good player, but for now rookie WRs don't often make an impact -  especially rookie wideouts on teams with QB questions.

11536[/snapback]

FB,

The post you refer to is completely accurate. Evans was WIDE OPEN on that play and was 5 yards in front of the defender. I also agree with your theory that rookie WR's rarely produce in their first year.

What puzzles me more is your fascination with the Bills. If you're truly a Patriots fan, why do you spend so much time here? Speaking as a Bills fan, I could care less what people are talking about on the Patriots board. Perhaps you've discovered the depth of kinship that exists with Bills fans? Perhaps you're envious of our little community? :P

My intent is not to slam you but rather to find out your obsession with us. Please help me understand why you like to hang out behind enemy lines? :blink:

It's not Lee's fault.  :blink:

11536[/snapback]

Normally I would agree with you, but if you had seen the play in question then you would have agreed. The ball slipped out of TB's hand, floated straight up into the air, and came up about 15 yards short of Evans...right into the DBs hands. It came up so short that they guy who intercepted it wasn't even the guy covering Evans. :P

So, you're right...it's lame to make excuses, but in this case it wasn't Lee's fault.

they didnt throw to him much in the colts game cus he wasnt on the field with bledsoe. in our 3 WR sets, we had Moulds, Reed, and Shaw. evens didnt come in untill the second half, and then we took out bledsoe. i didnt expect Zolman to get the ball to him.

11500[/snapback]

I expect Evans to be used in the 3 WR sets right from the beginning of this year. If not, I will be more than a little surprised that Evans could not beat out Shaw for this spot. I'm not saying he is a bust, just that I expected more out of a high first round pick.

Let's see what happens on opening day!

Please help me understand why you like to hang out behind enemy lines?  :blink:

11556[/snapback]

I'll give you the bumper-sticker version of how I wound up here:

After the Pats got shellacked Week 1 last year, there was an influx of Bills fans onto a Pats board I post on. I believe you refer to such opposing fans as "trolls". ;)

When the worm turned (and the Pats would not stop winning), a few of us from the other board wound up here (where a few of the Bills fans over on the Pats board came from.) I enjoyed the give and take with Bills fans, found some comrades that see the truth about Bledsoe, and discovered a different perspective on *my* team. I'm not a Bills fan, but at the same time I don't loathe them either.

I do, however, loathe Drew Bledsoe. But I think you may know that already. :P

At this point, I don't think I'm 'envious' of your online community, I prefer to think I'm a part of it. :doh:

Every fansite should have an official ball-buster, someone who sways from the party line, and someone who stirs things up a little... it keeps things fresh.

I'm the official TBD Voice of Pats fans... :P Nothing wrong with a little outside perspective, right?

And, believe it or not, I've made friends on this board other than Hollywood Donahoe or Thurman's Helmet. :)

Are we playing rope-a-dope, or is Lee still struggling to adjust to the physical nature of pass coverage in the NFL?

11425[/snapback]

Last night I was thinking about this and decided that it is a combination of #2 and the fact that they are running an offense that may have only one or two checkdowns. They are probably trying to get the ball to the primary receiver and then the HB or TE as part of the coaches plan to get the ball out of the QBs hand faster and take pressure off of the O-line.

Why they aren't making Evans the primary receiver more frequently can be attributed to them playing possum.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

I'll give you the bumper-sticker version of how I wound up here:

After the Pats got shellacked Week 1 last year, there was an influx of Bills fans onto a Pats board I post on.  I believe you refer to such opposing fans as "trolls".  ;)

When the worm turned (and the Pats would not stop winning), a few of us from the other board wound up here (where a few of the Bills fans over on the Pats board came from.)  I enjoyed the give and take with Bills fans, found some comrades that see the truth about Bledsoe, and discovered a different perspective on *my* team.  I'm not a Bills fan, but at the same time I don't loathe them either. 

I do, however, loathe Drew Bledsoe.  But I think you may know that already.  ;)

At this point, I don't think I'm 'envious' of your online community, I prefer to think I'm a part of it.  :) 

Every fansite should have an official ball-buster, someone who sways from the party line, and someone who stirs things up a little... it keeps things fresh.

I'm the official TBD Voice of Pats fans...  :lol:  Nothing wrong with a little outside perspective, right?

And, believe it or not, I've made friends on this board other than Hollywood Donahoe or Thurman's Helmet.  :)

11584[/snapback]

I'll give you credit for being well mannered and literate. I'm still a little concerned about your obsession with Bledsoe though. I don't know many Bills fans that followed Flutie, Johnson, Smith or Thomas around after they were traded or cut.

I think your "interest" is a little unhealthy :)

PS: It's ok to admit that TBD is better than any Pat's board in existence :D

It's not Lee's fault.  :D

11536[/snapback]

Actually, they'll most likely use him like the Pats used Deion Branch and Bethel Johnson their rookie years. Seeing how both did have an impact, and the Pats had a QB question about going deep, they seemed to work out well.

Neither were starters, but each provided a down-the-field threat at least a couple times a game. Evans will do the same.

You really seem to confuse attempts at analysis with apology (i.e. making excuses).

Actually, they'll most likely use him like the Pats used Deion Branch and Bethel Johnson their rookie years.  Seeing how both did have an impact, and the Pats had a QB question about going deep, they seemed to work out well.

Neither were starters, but each provided a down-the-field threat at least a couple times a game.  Evans will do the same.

You really seem to confuse attempts at analysis with apology (i.e. making excuses).

11884[/snapback]

I was hoping for better production in preseason from him, but I think he will still be a damn good third WR. He can only benefit from a healthy Moulds and in college (yes, i know, not the same as NFL) he was magnificent at game time. Also, he should have been nailed with that TD bomb when he was all by his lonesome.

"Just give him the damn ball!" (Just kidding.)

Actually, they'll most likely use him like the Pats used Deion Branch and Bethel Johnson their rookie years.  Seeing how both did have an impact, and the Pats had a QB question about going deep, they seemed to work out well.

Neither were starters, but each provided a down-the-field threat at least a couple times a game.  Evans will do the same.

11884[/snapback]

I was hoping for better production in preseason from him, but I think he will still be a damn good third WR. He can only benefit from a healthy Moulds and in college (yes, i know, not the same as NFL) he was magnificent at game time. Also, he should have been nailed with that TD bomb when he was all by his lonesome.

"Just give him the damn ball!" (Just kidding.)

It's not Lee's fault. laugh.gif

I love it when people make excuses for their binkies against all evidence.

Dude, you're like a fat chick who gives good blowjobs. You should stick to what you do best and stop trying to be cute.

You clearly never saw the play or you wouldn't have made such a stevestojan-like statement. The ball was underthrown, Evans was wide open, it wasn't Evan's fault, and you are regressing.

2003 preseason: Anquan Bolden...4 catches for 44 yards.

That clearly indicated to everyone that he was going to catch more than 100 passes for 1400 yards and eight TDs last season. </sarcasm>

I admit that Lee's performance so far this preseason has been less than stellar, but let's see what happens during the regular season.