Buddy Nix Interview

dhg

Great interview...

Buddy did say they won't draft for position, but didn't say we'll take the BPA - he said they'll take the player that they think can make the biggest impact. Maybe a CB like Peterson will be the BPA on the board, but not the guy that Buddy and Chan feel can make the biggest impact for this team.

I bet we'll all find out in a few months when the draft is held :D

This is a new staff with one draft under their belt so how can you say what they should do until it has a bit of time to see how the draft picks work out .

You along with a lot of others are judging this new staff from what the previous staff did & they are mostly all gone now so give em the benefit of the dought.

The front office has not changed much but I'll make you a bet that the consensus mock draft picks for the Bills last year and this year will turn out better than the picks the Bills make.

Maybe he should start listening to mock drafts because they have done a hell of a lot better job at picking talent than the bills staff has.

+1. The Bills may be on the clock, but so is Buddy Nix. It's time for him to Make sound decisions and get this draft right. Enough Free Passes. It's time to hold him accountable to building this team and turning this thing around. He took the position of GM and its time he acts like one. He has 4 months to figure this out. He better go out and do whatever is needed to get this team to a 9-10 win state. Via FA and the Draft. We don't have time for Luxary Picks. No more RBs or CBs. We need to fortify the OL and DL. The rest is easy if you make sound decisions.

The big thing is, is that The Bills suck at doing this. They go out on limbs bringing in FA and draft poorly year in and year out. This year is Buddy's year. This should be a walk in the park for him to figure out. It's not rocket science people. It's football. You bring in players you know are sound and gonna be sound. You cut the crap and sign guys you know are good sound football players. You draft and bring in players that fit your scheme and cut those who don't. I don't understand how this is so hard to figure out...

All of this is idle chatter until we see what is done in FA. After the FA period we will be able to tell, more so, which direction we will go. Peterson is an outstanding prospect, so is A.J. Green, along with about 5-7 other players I could name. Let's just hope we draft a guy who pans out and is on the Bills for a long time.

If Buddy says he went BPA and he takes Peterson I will know we are screwed because there is no way Peterson is the 3rd best player in the draft. I don’t even think he will be a CB in the NFL honestly. If Nix is a good drafter he should easily be able to see that the BPAs are Bowers, Dareus, and Fairley because of their talents and the position that they play. He *should* discount Green because he is skinny, a bit over rated, and plays the most dependant position in the game, making him useless on a team without a QB (see 2009 Fitzgerald vrs 2010 Fitzgerald).

This all would happen if Nix knew what he is doing and had a clue about how to build a winning football team. I still have some severe reservations though, so make me a believer Buddy and just don’t F this up!

Man I wish we had a shot at Fairley, maybe we'll get lucky and his stock will drop a bit. I am nervous about both Bowers and Dareus - neither of them has impressed me in the regular season games I saw, and I heard the same of their bowl performances. I do know that I would absolutely be furious if we took Gabbert, Peterson, or Green. Chan said "we kinda have a log jam at the position [wide receivers]," which I agree with, so I doubt the pick is Green. Gabbert is just awful - honestly, look at him when he is pressured AT ALL. And peterson is a pick we can't afford to make.

I wish there was another DT I was confident about in our draft range. (I should note that I'd rather have dareus over bowers, though)

Edited by NickelCity

Nix was right when he said (something along these lines) when you're picking at #3, that means you need help everywhere because you're not a good team. While I hope Nix picks an impact player on the defensive front 7 (and hopes he doesn't pick a CB), the Bills only have 1 dominant player on the team, and that's Kyle Williams, the Bills need all the help they can get. If you look at the Bills top draft picks up from the start of the Donahoe era up until 2009, does anyone consider any of those players (that are left) dominant? (Don't say Evans, because he hasn't been dominant since Losman left). The way Nix is building the Bills (through the draft) is going to take some time, expect another 2-3 years before the team gets good again.

What in that said he was going to draft Peterson or Green?

I know Kiper grades out Peterson as number 3 overall on his big board, but I'm not sure I buy that. I could maybe see Green, but I think its more likely that Bowers comes our way as I think the Fairley hype puts him into the top 2 picks.

Overall, solid interview, though I wish the media would grill him a little more about things. That guy was somewhat of a brown nose. You don't see that on WFAN or WEEI.

Haven't seen this posted yet. Nothing earth shattering, but I thought part of it was interesting, especially what he had to say about the draft.

http://www.fan590.com/ondemand/media.jsp?content=20110113_142254_3424

I was giving WGR kudos for getting Merrimen yesterday. Still no luck with any upper level personnel....

Im happy to see Greg Brady landed a job in radio after years of no work prospects.

It must have been tough to be pideon-holed after all of those years on The Brady Bunch.

The way Nix is building the Bills (through the draft) is going to take some time, expect another 2-3 years before the team gets good again.

Every team is supposed to build through the Draft. When you've drafted this badly year in and year out, You have to GO OUTSIDE THE BOX to rebuild it. This better not be an excuse by Ol' Buddy to cop out on buying high priced FA who can make an immediate impact on the team. When you've been this bad of a football team this long, ALL DOORS MUST BE OPEN TO IMPROVING THIS TEAM. It's not my money. I don't care if they break the bank to build this team. I just want to see this team win a championship. Not waiting 2-3 years of drafting to see this team become competitive...