Bulldog on WGR "Fitz is just not that good"

I always get really curious when I hear this rationale. If what Fitz has been doing isn't indicative of being "the guy", then what does "the guy" look like? Does "the guy" keep his team in every game? Does "the guy" understand his offensive personnel and (generally) make smart decisions? Does "the guy" have energy and bring excitement to the team?

As of right now, Fitzpatrick looks the part of "the guy". I'll let time prove how true that is.

He's kept us in every game? How bout that Jets game? How about the end of regulation in Kansas City? How about the backbreaking pick in the New England game? I'm not saying "the guy" has to be perfect, but c'mon, I think we're looking far too much into this comeback today. Don't get me wrong, I like Fitz, I like him a lot better than Trent, but he has not shown enough to be considered the future at QB.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just how bad has the quarterback play been for the last decade if Fitz "is just not good"?

I could watch him play for a few years while they sort through the rest of their many problems.

most definatly,if gailey keeps working his magic and we can keep our QB coach we can take care of other issues in the coming draft and free agency

He's kept us in every game? How bout that Jets game? How about the end of regulation in Kansas City? How about the backbreaking pick in the New England game? I'm not saying "the guy" has to be perfect, but c'mon, I think we're looking far too much into this comeback today. Don't get me wrong, I like Fitz, I like him a lot better than Trent, but he has not shown enough to be considered the future at QB.

Hey, I feel you. He's not Tom Brady/Peyton Manning elite level. But I'd like to think that a somewhat adequate defense would do wonders for Fitzpatrick. No, the defense didn't throw those picks, but perhaps Fitz doesn't need to take those kind of chances with a less than porous D?

Maybe he Derek Andersons next year or finishes this year poorly; I don't know. But it does seem to be a progression towards improvement that he can hopefully carry into a really tough game next week.

Hey, I feel you. He's not Tom Brady/Peyton Manning elite level. But I'd like to think that a somewhat adequate defense would do wonders for Fitzpatrick. No, the defense didn't throw those picks, but perhaps Fitz doesn't need to take those kind of chances with a less than porous D?

Maybe he Derek Andersons next year or finishes this year poorly; I don't know. But it does seem to be a progression towards improvement that he can hopefully carry into a really tough game next week.

Maybe you're right... I'm not trying to be strident, I know we're all Bills fans here, I'm just frustrated with the mediocrity is all, and I fear constantly being in the 5-11 to 9-7 zone is doing more harm than good for the long term future.

Maybe it's because I was at that Jets game that I can't shake this negative attitude.

But Fitz has certainly progressed, and showed a lot to come back from his awful first half today, that's for sure. I hope he continues to win and progress, and who knows, maybe he just needed the right situation to come into his own. He's only 27, after all. Maybe you're right.

Fitzpatrick is far from perfect and his inaccuracy is maddening at times such as the ball to David Nelson on the goal line. However, he really does seem to be hot and cold. When he's good he's really really good and when he's bad he's terrible. Like MOST quarterbacks he does much better when he has time to throw. The 2nd half line play improved significantly. Early in the game Fitz was getting pounded on every throw. Unlike just about every other QB we've had since Kelly though he stands in there and tries to deliver the ball rather than throw it away, check down, or turtle. That's good and bad. It's bad for obvious reasons, he throws balls into scary places and will sometimes throw a brutal pick. On the plus, he doesn't take sacks and he puts the ball up the field. I see this as a huge upside win for us. We know we need to improve our line anyway. Fitz with time will STILL throw the ball upfield, he just won't have to hurry. The time will improve the decisions. All QBs get decidedly mediocre when they're rushed but not all of them have the cojones to throw the ball into tight spots or stand in there and take the beating to deliver the pass. Fitz does both.

Any rookie, Andrew Luck included, is a crap shoot. I'm happy enough with Fitzpatrick to spend our high choices on OT, DE and LBs to improve the team around him. Based on what Fitz is doing as starter there are only a couple QBs I'd rather have right now (play only).

1. Brady

2. Vick

3. Rivers

4. P. Manning (even though he's a lot more mortal with no weapons and a so so line)

5. Brees

6. Roethlisberger

7. Rodgers

If we're looking long term I like Bradford,Sanchez, <edit> and Flacco.

Everyone else is no worse than a push in my eyes and there are PLENTY of QBs who would be a downgrade including Carson Palmer whose decision making has been terrible for at least 3 years now. Cutler, McNabb, E. Manning, etc. are better in reputation only and are just as streaky as Fitz, if not moreso.

Edited by Special_K

I always get really curious when I hear this rationale. If what Fitz has been doing isn't indicative of being "the guy", then what does "the guy" look like? Does "the guy" keep his team in every game? Does "the guy" understand his offensive personnel and (generally) make smart decisions? Does "the guy" have energy and bring excitement to the team?

As of right now, Fitzpatrick looks the part of "the guy". I'll let time prove how true that is.

"The Guy" has Kiper and McShay's man goo all over him. That's how you know.

PTR

Maybe you're right... I'm not trying to be strident, I know we're all Bills fans here, I'm just frustrated with the mediocrity is all, and I fear constantly being in the 5-11 to 9-7 zone is doing more harm than good for the long term future.

Maybe it's because I was at that Jets game that I can't shake this negative attitude.

But Fitz has certainly progressed, and showed a lot to come back from his awful first half today, that's for sure. I hope he continues to win and progress, and who knows, maybe he just needed the right situation to come into his own. He's only 27, after all. Maybe you're right.

Dude, the mediocrity is what killed me (and I'll say the majority of Bills' fans) the most over these few years. That being said, I'm a big believer in team identity. I really think that teams that are able to put an identity and a philosophy together have an edge over many teams that don't. Without an identity to fall back on, it's easier to lose focus after tough games, tough losses, and the general malaise that can come over the course of a football year.

What I like about Fitz the most is that he's helping to cultivate the identity of %100 effort and heart. Is he the best QB out there? No. Might he be the best QB, all things excepted, for this particular team right now? Well, just maybe. Who knows what a rookie/free agent QB would do with this particular bunch of players; while great QBs should be expected to find a rhythm with whoever they're throwing to (take a look at Manning and Brady this season, for instance), there's no guarantee that it would happen with a different QB with this team. We don't really know if Stevie Johnson would be making those plays with a QB he doesn't have that chemistry with.

You can play the odds game (a QB taken with the #1 overall/top 5 pick seems to be a good bet to perform well, Fitz will falter at some point/isn't the answer), but in the no guarantees NFL, you have to ride the hot hand for as long as you can and give yourself the best chance to win. Fitz isn't just fighting to give this team wins; he's fighting for himself, his job, and his teammates. He's the definition of the scrappy underdog. With this particular team, I think he's going to give us the best shot. But let's see how he does against a really tough Steelers D (though not one that's ranked very high against the pass, curiously enough).

But let's see how he does against a really tough Steelers D (though not one that's ranked very high against the pass, curiously enough).

The thing I'm interested in seeing is how the team does against a zone defense that brings pressure. Baltimore played a lot of man and got torched because their DBs suck - especially Fabian Washington. The Steelers don't do that and the zone will require much more precision from Fitz and the WRs. Pressure is inevitable as well. How will they deal.

TFitz is not a rookie, and has FIRMLY established himself to have poor accuracty issues that plague him with no signs of that improving

Last year Fitz' completion % was 55.9. This year it's 59.3. Today it was 62% Last year he threw 9 TDs and 10 picks. This year 18 TDs and 9 picks. Please explain how this is not improvement?