Andrew Luck...anyone else concerned about this

I know this board behaves in a "Johnson vs. Flutie" manner but folks, the possibility exists that BOTH Luck AND Mallett are going to turn out to be pretty good NFL Qb's !!

Does it ALWAYS have to be one or the other around here??

There are very, VERY promising things going on with both of these college prospects right now.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this board behaves in a "Johnson vs. Flutie" manner but folks, the possibility exists that BOTH Luck AND Mallett are going to turn out to be pretty good NFL Qb's !!

Does it ALWAYS have to be one or the other around here??

There are very, VERY promising things going on with both of these college prospects right now.

Excellent point!!!

Can you make this your signature?

I like my current signature otherwise I would make this post my signature.

Its not an either\or its "I hope they both declare for 2011 draft because the Bills picking in the top 5 should be able to get one of them."

Edited by Levitre + Wang = Wood

Quite the opposite, my friend - you can't seem (or you simply refuse) to see or grasp the point that folks had 4 full seasons to judge whether or not to draft Harrell, as opposed to a season and a half to judge Luck.

Way to stick your foot in your mouth. :lol:

BTW, I'd still think I might rather have Harrell than #24-ranked Mark Sanchez and his 80.5 QB rating - we're still gonna see great things from Harrell, eventually. (Or do you think Green Bay's coaches don't know how to judge QB talent?)

You aren’t getting my point.

I am saying that I watched Harrell in college and I could see that he wasn’t going to get drafted or become anything in the NFL – and It didn’t require me to watch 4 full season of him starting to form my opinion. You watched Harrell and thought he was a legitimate QB prospect who was worthy of a higher round pick, despite having 4 full season to form your opinion.

I watch Luck in college and can see why he is being touted as the #1 overall pick regardless of the numbers of games he has started. (I even pointed out a few specific examples as to why I thought so which debated other posters comments) You on the other hand cannot find anything about his game to knock him on, other than he hasn’t played in many games – A fact he has no control over and hasn’t stopped him from producing, not to mention he red shirted for a year. You act as if he cannot possibly be that good because he hasn’t played enough.

Why don’t you try to watch a few games of Luck’s games and be a little more objective in your argument? If you do watch him and think he stinks, I guess that would partially explain why you think Harrell is so good, and why you’d want him over Sanchez – as you must not know what to look for in a QB.

Harrel > Sanchez & Luck :blink: And my foots in my mouth? Hardly.

Excellent point!!!

Can you make this your signature?

I like my current signature otherwise I would make this post my signature.

Its not an either\or its "I hope they both declare for 2011 draft because the Bills picking in the top 5 should be able to get one of them."

HA not a bad idea!

A distinct possibility :-)

Get Kolb or Vick, see what they can do. Shore up the D. I think we have experience enough (Maybin) with a kid with limited college experience. When I see him I like him (Luck) but is the Pac 10 a strong D conference?

Aaron Rodgers, Carson Palmer, Mark Sanchez and Matt Cassel are Pac-10 QBs who seem to be doing fine.

The Mannings, Jason Campbell and Cutler came from the SEC.

When selecting a QB the pac 10 and sec seem to be on par

seriously, it really is a crap shoot when you look at it.

Year Team Player Pick No.

2007 OAK J. Russell 1 BUST

2005 SFO Alex D. Smith 1 BUST

2004 NYG Eli Manning 1

2004 SDG Philip Rivers 4

2004 PIT Ben Roethlisberger 11

2003 CIN Carson Palmer 1 (partial bust)

2003 JAC Byron Leftwich 7 BUST

2002 HOU David Carr 1 Y BUST

2002 DET Joey Harrington 3 BUST

2001 ATL Michael Vick 1

1999 CLE Tim Couch 1 BUST

1999 PHI Donovan McNabb 2

1999 CIN Akili Smith 3 BUST

1999 MIN Daunte Culpepper 11

1999 CHI Cade McNown 12 BUST

1998 IND Peyton Manning 1

1998 SDG Ryan Leaf 2 BUST

1995 TEN Steve McNair 3

1995 CAR Kerry Collins 5 (partial bust)

You know who I don't see on this list? BUFFALO. At least some other teams were willing to take the shot.

You know who I don't see on this list? BUFFALO. At least some other teams were willing to take the shot.

1989 Troy Aikman Quarterback UCLA Dallas Cowboys

1990 Jeff George*** Quarterback Illinois Indianapolis Colts

1993 Drew Bledsoe Quarterback Washington State University New England Patriots

1998 Peyton Manning Quarterback Tennessee Indianapolis Colts

1999 Tim Couch Quarterback Kentucky Cleveland Browns

2001 Michael Vick Quarterback Virginia Tech Atlanta Falcons

2002 David Carr Quarterback Fresno State Houston Texans

2003 Carson Palmer Quarterback USC Cincinnati Bengals

2004 Eli Manning Quarterback Ole Miss San Diego Chargers (traded to the New York Giants)

2005 Alex Smith Quarterback Utah San Francisco 49ers

2009 Matthew Stafford Quarterback Georgia Detroit Lions

2010 Sam Bradford Quarterback Oklahoma St. Louis Rams

its an even different picture when you look at QBs taken #1 overall. if you exclude stafford and bradford since theyre too new, in the last 20 years, three QBs taken #1 overall are busts. Smith carr and couch. the others were worth the pick

Get Kolb or Vick, see what they can do. Shore up the D. I think we have experience enough (Maybin) with a kid with limited college experience. When I see him I like him (Luck) but is the Pac 10 a strong D conference?

NOOOOOOOOO! Don't start any Kolb conversations.

Kolb is Rob Johnson Part II. His 3 career wins come against the worst teams in the NFL.

just go away.really i dont even know what to say to you except your freaking lost. thats what good QB's do if its not there they dump it off and take what they can get.

get real man. if this guy ever managed to get on the bills we would not need to worry about our QQB position for over a decade.

the kid is the best player @ the QB position to come out since rivers and peyton and you think he dumps it off to much really man get a life.

comparing him to edwards is like comparing manning to fitz and again he is not a California guy he is a Texas boy you know football country!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL.....ok Rook

I have noticed this as well, although i haven't seen too much of Luck i wanted to watch another game or 2 before i started to have a stronger opinion either way.

His yards per att is pretty much near the top of NCAA and would put him in the top 5 in the NFL.

Unless his dumpoffs turn into lots of YACs i dont see how that can be true.

His yards per att is pretty much near the top of NCAA and would put him in the top 5 in the NFL.

I tried to find a College Football YAC chart a few weeks ago after watching a Stanford game, because I was thinking that 45% of Luck's passing yards were YAC. Lots of screens and dump offs. I couldn't find it.

Then I wondered if 45% would be high.

If anyone can find that comparison of college football QBs with YAC that would be I interesting.

from what i could tell he seemed to have a lot of his "yardage" come as YAC. might just be my perception so i'm not sure how much truth there is to that.

YAC just like every other stat can be misleading (bc of screens etc.) But a pretty good indicator of great accuracy is a high YAC, actually a better one than completiong % IMO. Two passes are compoleted. 1 is behind the WR who has to slow down to catch the ball and tackled with nor YAC, the other hits teh WR in stride and the WR can run for a long gain. You get the picture.