Fire George Edwards

HurlyBurly51

Didn't the Bills call a time out before that play? Can't call 2 in a row.

I wasn't a fan of that timeout. I think it is much more beneficial for the offense to have the timeout and pick a play to go for it on 4th and 2 with time running out than the Defense to plan for what they're going to do.

Also, it is definitely the scheme that put Poz on Megatron. It's not hindsight to say that's a bad idea. It is ALWAYS a bad idea. I don't care who the linebacker is, if he's covering Johnson it's an advantage to Johnson.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The defense was not fine, as evidenced by the score. Hypothesizing about what didn't happen is not constructive. Lindell should have made that FG, how about our ST should have scored a TD at home... it's all an exercise in futility.

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm, but if it's not, the defense allowed just 12 points, when the Lions had been averaging 26.4 PPG with Hill starting at QB. The offense needs to score more points.

um mcflys ...

watch the play again

johnson is lined up outside the TE, at the snap the TE sprints right. S Scott is on him, but CB McDumbass also goes with him. you can see poz look at the RB first, which makes sense, but he sees that Johnson is uncovered so he takes him

it appears pretty clear to me that Scott/McMoron screwed up their coverages, not poz. mostly likely it was McStupidasshit, but Scott could also have passed the TE off to McDainBramaged and taken Johnson himself. in any event, im sure the d was not designed for poz to cover a WR, its just that he saw nobody was and did what he had to do

but when theres a mental breakdown in coverage like that im always going to look first at the guy with the cold cranking brain power of a pickled turnip

A couple of weeks ago I would have agreed with you, but not today. I was extremely pissed at Edwards on that play, but in his defense, he has been doing a much better job as of late. Not to mention, it is the offenses job to create mismatches and therefore the blame can't totally fall on Edwards.

My biggest concern with Edwards has been addressed and that was concerning the lack of creativity to create pressure. For weeks the Bills were playing a 4 man front, and were not sending a 5th rusher. Result....they got torched. Not only that, but it wasn't until recently that I have seen Byrd and Whitner, both up in the box in running situations.

Here is an excerpt from what I thought was a great article by Mark Gaughan of the Buffalo News:

They can't get pressure from a four-man rush. Defensive coordinator George Edwards is blitzing a bit more, and that will have to continue. Edwards was reluctant to blitz early in the season. He sent five men or more on just 3 percent of pass downs against New England, 8 percent against Jacksonville and 9 percent against Baltimore (all according to unofficial News statistics). But the Bills blitzed 25 percent of pass downs at Kansas City (7 of 28) and 36 percent versus Chicago (12 of 33). Last year the Bills blitzed 28 percent overall, which is a little less than average.

While the caliber of teams we have played certainly helps.....you can't deny that their is a positive correlation between Edwards propensity to send 5+ and the Bills overall defensive performance

It seemed like most of the game when we had them 3rd and long we would drop 8 and they would convert :wallbash: they should have kept pressuring them as it was working but that would make sense.

Agree. Hate the three man pass rush. Guys will get open in six seconds.

Blitzed Scott once and he got a sack. Never went back to it.

um mcflys ...

watch the play again

johnson is lined up outside the TE, at the snap the TE sprints right. S Scott is on him, but CB McDumbass also goes with him. you can see poz look at the RB first, which makes sense, but he sees that Johnson is uncovered so he takes him

it appears pretty clear to me that Scott/McMoron screwed up their coverages, not poz. mostly likely it was McStupidasshit, but Scott could also have passed the TE off to McDainBramaged and taken Johnson himself. in any event, im sure the d was not designed for poz to cover a WR, its just that he saw nobody was and did what he had to do

but when theres a mental breakdown in coverage like that im always going to look first at the guy with the cold cranking brain power of a pickled turnip

Good analysis, I didn't get a chance to watch it again last night.

You got everyone's immediate reaction.

Still goes back to practice, that is not the first that our coverage has mistakenly double covered a receiving option. Its Not just McDainBramaged.

I can think of the Kelsay "WR Blitz" that allowed LT to bounce it out and then back in to score a TD.

Its either the lack of talent in the front 7 or the system and coaching or both.

A couple of weeks ago I would have agreed with you, but not today. I was extremely pissed at Edwards on that play, but in his defense, he has been doing a much better job as of late. Not to mention, it is the offenses job to create mismatches and therefore the blame can't totally fall on Edwards.

My biggest concern with Edwards has been addressed and that was concerning the lack of creativity to create pressure. For weeks the Bills were playing a 4 man front, and were not sending a 5th rusher. Result....they got torched. Not only that, but it wasn't until recently that I have seen Byrd and Whitner, both up in the box in running situations.

Here is an excerpt from what I thought was a great article by Mark Gaughan of the Buffalo News:

While the caliber of teams we have played certainly helps.....you can't deny that their is a positive correlation between Edwards propensity to send 5+ and the Bills overall defensive performance

While this is true, you can't let the QB sit back there and go through his read progression. To be successful, a defense HAS to get pressure on the passer. Even an average QB in the NFL will light up the scoreboard against a defense that just plays coverage. IMO, Edwards is trying anything and everything to get pressure on the QB. When the D-linemen can't bring pressure on their own, the coordinator has to start sending linebackers and usually safeties. Doing this is risky, but it's a risk he has to take. So to me, it comes down to the players, especially along the D-line.

When offenses don't have to double team anybody along the D-line, they have a big advantage.

I hesitate to post this on this the day of our first victory, but please, someone explain to me how he had Poz covering Calvin Johnson in that crucial situation?! No excuse for that. None. Get him out of here. He has been obviously outclassed and over his head all season.

OK...this was discussed in another thread...while I am not a fan of Edwards, he will not get fired mid season, way to many variables involved with switching up your base alignment from a 4-3 to a 3-4. He's got 7 more games to show he can improve the D and coach them up to fit the scheme...and they've shown improvement over the last couple weeks. Couple that with the need for true 3-4 talent and I'm sure he'll be around for another year!

In response to the OP...you must realize the D that was called...It wasn't man, where they had Poz on CJ, it was cover 2, which is a zone scheme and CJ motioned into he slot where Poz's assignment was (mid-quater of the field) and he should have had help over the top by the safety...in this case, Whitner, who was out of position AGAIN. With that being said, I don't like the defensive play call, but our LB's have shown it to be necessary because they lack the talent to be true 3-4 LB's that can cover a TE or slot WR, hence a zone coverage called on 4th & 2. Great play call by the Lions + hole in the zone = TD...Completely Whitners fault!

This was a defensive win! Hill and the Lions put up some pretty good numbers over the first half of the season, and for the most part our D shut them down yesterday...Of course CJ had a hge game, he's the only WR worth a poop on the team and he s a true #1 WR (unlike Lee...ooops). I saw A LOT of good allignments and couple safety blitzes yesterday, and was impressed with the pressure we got and how we showed an ability to stop the run (Best and Smith are no slouches).

um mcflys ...

watch the play again

I agree for the most part, but a little blame goes to either Byrd and Whitner. They're in cover 2, the Lions read the play perfectly, but if I'm Byrd or Whitner I put a lot of attention where Megatron is. They played it right giving extra help to their CBs on top but with the game on the line I don't let Poz 1 on 1 with their best receiver.

This is more of an indictment of the offense (including during the last 4 coaching regimes), but isn't it funny how easy it is for other teams to get their #1 WR's in mismatches like that, and the Bills can never do that with Lee Evans?

Not fond of the word "never".. I guess you missed Evan's 3 td day vs. Baltimore? 6 catches 105 yards 3 tds? Also, our number 1 receiver is 5'10" where CJ is 6'5".. We could sure use some bigger bodies out there..

That was a called cover two zone. Safetys cover the outside part of the field deep and MLB has the middle of the field

Its a defense we used to run

Wrong, FS & SS have the deep half & LB's have mid quarters...Whitner was out of position and got burned...AGAIN. He needs to put on 20-25 Lbs. over the offseason and play OLB or he needs to go.