James Harrison pondering retirement

smuvtalker

And yet nobody stopped the NFL from making profit out of one of his hits.

The NFL made a "mistake" having photos of Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison's hit on Cleveland Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi available for sale through its website and will take the photos down, spokesman Greg Aiello said Wednesday.

Harrison was fined $75,000 for the hit. Pittsburgh television station KDKA first reported that the photos were for sale.

"We regret the mistake," Aiello said. "The photos will be taken down and we will ensure that no photos of illegal plays will be available again. An outside vendor uses an automated process to post photos for sale to fans. We will fix the process immediately."

The NFL is cracking down on illegal hits to the head, vowing to suspend players for infractions starting with this weekend's games.

In the past, players were either fined or ejected for illegal hits. However, after the series of recent flagrant tackles, several of which resulted in concussions, the NFL ramped up the punishment.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5706132

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After watching the HBO real sports follow up show on head trauma, these hits have to stop. The NFL doesn't have a choice. Not only is it bad for the players but they will be in lawsuit hell if they don't act. For Harrison to come out acting like this is completely irresponsible.

For the folks who have never gone to an NFL practice, you may not know how violent this sport is. Watching on tv or in the stands doesn't give the violence it's due respect. These men are colliding at disturbing levels on every play. When you add hitting to the head to that mix it's alarming how someone wouldn't support the regulation of that.

I just responded the Yahoo! article on my facebook page. Here is what I wrote ...

Sure ... I agree with the players that we don't want to sissy-fy the NFL ... but the same problem is happening with the NHL. The common solution to both leagues' problem? Pare down the equipment ... these guys are this reckless with their hits because they will NOT feel the impact that they deliver. Take away the facemask on the players and see how they respond. Stop making shoulder pads (in the NHL, especially) that are made of ABS plastic so that the body is completely protected. Special, hardened plastics & metals have no place in the sports. Then, in the case of the NFL ... the only thing that needs to be policed is if the player lowers the head to use the crown of the helmet. Sorry, Mr. Daniels (read the article, he says "Have we become a cupcake league? We already have better helmets and gear.") ... you are a cupcake league because you're hiding behind the better helmets & gear.

Edited by pkwwjd

After watching the HBO real sports follow up show on head trauma, these hits have to stop. The NFL doesn't have a choice. Not only is it bad for the players but they will be in lawsuit hell if they don't act. For Harrison to come out acting like this is completely irresponsible.

For the folks who have never gone to an NFL practice, you may not know how violent this sport is. Watching on tv or in the stands doesn't give the violence it's due respect. These men are colliding at disturbing levels on every play. When you add hitting to the head to that mix it's alarming how someone wouldn't support the regulation of that.

I totally agree. I think part of the problem is these segments called Jacked-Up and stuff like that. The players are going for the big hit instead of fundamental tackling. I love seeing the athleticsm of a great open field tackle - I don't need somebody to be jacked up in order to enjoy the game.

Harrison, who was fined $75,000 for a hit that knocked Mohamed Massaquoi out of the Steelers' win over the Cleveland Browns, said Tuesday on Fox Sports Radio's "Into The Night with Tony Bruno" that he might consider retirement.

"I'm going to sit down and have a serious conversation with my coach tomorrow and see if I can actually play by NFL rules and still be effective," Harrison told guest host Judy McDonald. "If not, I may have to give up playing football."

Boo hoo James. This guy has got to be kidding me! You get fined 75,000 for hits that were obviously with intent to harm, and now you're ready to give up football??

So one minute he's bragging about his cheap shots and the next he's crying and threating to run home? Waaah....pay attention to me!!

What a POS.

If you have the chance, listen to the podcast of Coach Sal's Bills Now show from yesterday. He makes a good point that the increased number of blows to the head is due to a growing number of players who don't know how to tackle properly...that even guys in the NFL have not been drilled on proper tackling technique since their Pop Warner days, maybe not even then. He says that anyone making a proper tackle has their head up and wraps the player before bringing them down. Using your head like a missile is not how you do it.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

If you have the chance, listen to the podcast of Coach Sal's Bills Now show from yesterday. He makes a good point that the increased number of blows to the head is due to an growing number of players who don't know how to tackle properly...that even guys in the NFL have not been drilled on proper tackling technique since their Pop Warner days, maybe not even then. He says that anyone making a proper tackle has their head up and wraps the player before bringing them down. Using you head like a missile is not how you do it.

PTR

+1

And that is the point of what I said ... stop using the equipment to do what the body was intended to do.

harrison pondering retirement???.....laughable.......he's just mad cause he's a little lighter in the pocket...nothing he can do about it.....and will probably be fined again.....guaranteed he will play sunday.

I know this argument is from another thread...but Harrison was an undrafted free agent from that college football powerhouse Kent State. Just getting that out there

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

If you have the chance, listen to the podcast of Coach Sal's Bills Now show from yesterday. He makes a good point that the increased number of blows to the head is due to a growing number of players who don't know how to tackle properly...that even guys in the NFL have not been drilled on proper tackling technique since their Pop Warner days, maybe not even then. He says that anyone making a proper tackle has their head up and wraps the player before bringing them down. Using your head like a missile is not how you do it.

PTR

I'm not so sure that its about them not knowing how to tackle, but more about the whole culture of making that big hit. They can make those tackles, but there's no attention gained by doing it.

Hey guys, helmet to helmet hits happen even if you try to avoid them. After interviewing Booker Edgerson, it is apparent that older players tackled with better form, but even then concussions happened. The whole sentiment of being more reckless due to better equipment, may be valid and studies may have to be done.

Here is one question I have to ask. Why don't more players have protective shells like Mark Kelso did? It just seems like common sense.

PTR

Bingo - this is the main problem. ESPN talked about it Sunday night, also. If you tackle the right way, the concussions and injuries decrease.

I'm in favor of the fines. Players like Harrison are just out there to make plays (in his case, hurt people) and generally ignore their coaching.

What I'd say to Harrison? "Go ahead and retire. Good luck finding a job making more than 5 figures, forget about anything above 6 figures. There will be about 600 guys lining up to take your job, too."

Hey guys, helmet to helmet hits happen even if you try to avoid them. After interviewing Booker Edgerson, it is apparent that older players tackled with better form, but even then concussions happened. The whole sentiment of being more reckless due to better equipment, may be valid and studies may have to be done.

Here is one question I have to ask. Why don't more players have protective shells like Mark Kelso did? It just seems like common sense.

To this point, there was a study done a few years ago designed to rid concussions and neck injuries. A new helmet was designed that was actually part of/attached to the shoulder pads. The head was away from the sides of the helmet and stationary -like racecar rigs. You could turn your head inside the helmet without the helmet turning. The 'problem' was the look. They look like astronauts/robots, and the study was shelved. I'm sure it could be brought up off Google.

I wasn't keen on the look either, but it looks like the game equipment may be going that way in the future

It's impossible to tackle "correct" every time because the players involved are each moving, oftentimes at full speed, and making positional adjustments while doing so. A player can be sound technically and be in position to make a form tackle and can end up making helmet to helmet contact. Oftentimes a very fine line exists between a great tackle and a blow to the head.

I think the problem is the league hasn't properly defined what's illegal and what is allowed. Is the rule only applicable to a defenseless receiver? And what is a defenseless receiver? Are they only concerned with head to head blows? Is a shoulder or a chest or an arm or a leg blow to the head OK? All can do the same, serious damage to the defender. What if the defender places himself in danger by allowing his head to be impacted by the defender. Should this be the defenders fault and open him up to fine and suspension?

And who's to judge the fault in such cases? The NFL. They might not be an exactly impartial party seeing as how the Commish is a former Jet employee.

I'm sure that what Harrison did yesterday he's done countless times before and never was penalized nor fined and certainly not suspended. Could you imagine if this incident happened the game before the super bowl and Harrison was suspended for the game because of something he's done countless times in his career?

I think the NFL acted hastily on this without properly doing their due diligence.